*** 2021-22, 2nd Round SC Playoffs: Edmonton Oilers (P2) at Calgary Flames (P1)- (EDM WINS 4-1) ***

EDM vs CGY  

11 members have voted

1. 1. North vs South. Blue vs. Red. Oil vs Fire. You choose!

• 1-- Oilers in 4. Connor and Co. dose the Flames with the quickness of a January blizzard!
    • 2-- Oilers in 5. Cgy finds out that Edm is no Dallas when it comes to offense and fizzle under siege.
    • 3-- Oilers in 6. Very competitive series that sees both teams impose their will, but EDM still proves too much.
    • 4-- Oilers in 7. Classic series where the star power of the Oilers and their young 40 yr old netminder prove the difference
    • 5-- Flames in 4. Calgary burns the Oil, as Edm can't withstand the heat!
    • 6-- Flames in 5. Jacob Markstrom and the Flames make Mike Smith look like he's 50, and the Oil look like their WHL counterparts
    • 7-- Flames in 6. Very good series, but Calgary's overall team depth proves superior
    • 8-- Flames in 7. Epic roller coaster battle, but the Flames are just not gonna be denied their West Finals berth.

This poll is closed to new votes

19 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Lol.  You are on tonight, my friend!!  I'd give more rep, if not for the daily limit...  🙄

Yeah the daily limit on giving likes has to get changed around here...

17 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

I’m going to make a prediction:  it doesn’t happen often but the NHL is going to rescind the game misconduct penalty on Lucic.

Here is my reasoning:

Smith was going to send the puck behind the net (probably a fake) then decided instead to put the puck in the corner to his left.  If he would’ve continued to send the puck behind the net ther wouldn’t have been any contact at all.  There was enough room for Lucic between Smith and the net for Lucic to get through.  When Smith changed his mind, Lucic tried to change his course but he was already committed.  You can see the snow spray from Lucic trying to stop.   Lucic’ s left skate clipped Smith’s skate that caused both players to lose their balance, Lucic going forward and Smith backwards.  Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not blaming Smith for the contact. Yes, there was some shoulder to head contact, but not much, IMHO.  Smith lost his helmet when he fell but didn’t hit his head on the boards or the ice.  I don’t believe there was any intent by Lucic to even hit Smith let alone intent that would rise to a 5 min major and game misconduct.

I think two reasons they called it that way was first due to the over-reaction of the concussion spotter saying that Smith had to be evaluated. That fulfilled the “injury” part of the rule even though there really was no injury.  The second reason was to control the game without a slew of penalties the rest of the way.  

I think it should’ve only been a 2 min minor.

I agree...can see the snow spray from Lucic stopping a bit...

1 hour ago, FireDillabaugh said:

What would be the point of this?  It's not a game suspension.  It was a game misconduct, removing him and his scumbag shenanigans from that game, as should have been called.

Completely disagree.  The proper calls were made.  And, that's because of the head contact that was made by a cheap, dirty player that Lucic is known to be.  There was one objective in his actions.  And, if anything, the contact deserved a hearing and a fine.  The proper calls on ice were made.

Well...we'll have to agree to disagree about Lucic being dirty...Lucic has taken it easy many of times where he could have injured others but didn't...even this hit on Smith can see Lucic stop a bit by the snow flying up...looks like they both didn't know which way to turn...

11 minutes ago, Villella McMeans said:

Well...we'll have to agree to disagree about Lucic being dirty...Lucic has taken it easy many of times where he could have injured others but didn't...even this hit on Smith can see Lucic stop a bit by the snow flying up...looks like they both didn't know which way to turn...

I think that Lucic took his chance when he saw it, but he DID let up and turned up the chance to completely bury Smith on the play. I've seen him do it before, and we've all seen him do worse.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I don't think anyone is really 'counting the Flames out' (we reserve counting teams out for the Blues :ph34r: ), but I believe that anyone who thought the Flames were gonna burn through THIS Oil with very little problems are now seeing that teams really DO have to win games on the ice sheet and not on paper or a stat screen.

Premature of course, as Calgary likely still has another gear or two they can shift into, but my 'upset special' is looking good so far here!  :) 

You know who the Flames miss out there? Sean Freakin Monahan, that's who! 🤠

So your counting the Blues out?

6 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

What would be the point of this?  It's not a game suspension.  It was a game misconduct, removing him and his scumbag shenanigans from that game, as should have been called.

A game misconduct is recorded as 10 minutes on the  players record.  It would remove the time from the team’s and the player’s penalty time. It is also a way for the NHL to indicate they got that call wrong without really apologizing.

7 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Completely disagree.  The proper calls were made.  And, that's because of the head contact that was made by a cheap, dirty player that Lucic is known to be.  There was one objective in his actions.  And, if anything, the contact deserved a hearing and a fine.  The proper calls on ice were made.

Agree to disagree.  There was one objective, to get possession of the puck. If his intent was to run the goalie he wouldn’t have slowed down.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I'm not so much counting the Blues out, as I am saying snowballs in hell have a better survival rate. :ph34r: 

Well it looks bad now Il admit.  Which puts me all in on Calgary.  Ill cheer for Calgary if the Blues cannot rally.  Its not impossible but its a tall order.  Especially without Binnington.  And without Pietrangelo who chose the money over winning like many have these days

I expect the Flames to show up tonight.  

Edited by Hockey Junkie
  • Like 1

Whatever the Oilers do tonight, they simply can't put Draisaitl in the bumper spot on the PP.

... just in case anybody has ever wondered why teams only like to vaguely admit to "upper body" and "lower body" injuries.

6 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Also, these human skin tags...

Disgusting.

Those knuckleheads sound like PERFECT candidates for that old show, "Pros vs Joes".

Not sure if you are familiar, but it is/was a show where regular people, who fancied themselves athletes, got to go against a pro (older and retired one at that), in their own sport, to see how they would fare.

More often than not, the old "broken down" pro embarrassed the hell out of the young, strapping Joe who usually ended up eating healthy doses of humble pie.

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Those knuckleheads sound like PERFECT candidates for that old show, "Pros vs Joes".

Not sure if you are familiar, but it is/was a show where regular people, who fancied themselves athletes, got to go against a pro (older and retired one at that), in their own sport, to see how they would fare.

More often than not, the old "broken down" pro embarrassed the hell out of the young, strapping Joe who usually ended up eating healthy doses of humble pie.

I remember it well, and it was always amusing to see people find out for themselves that, even out of their prime, the pros are immeasurably better.

---

I had a friend in high school, and he'd always be commenting on how "I could make that play" and such things. We were watching an Expos/Cardinals game once, and Ozzie Smith was eaten up by a ground ball. "Pbt! I could have made that play!"

Me: Dude... It's Ozzie Smith. Can we agree that if HE didn't make it, the rest of us surely wouldn't?

Him: No way. I could do it.

Tiresome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

LOL @ ESPN announcers:

"Calgary needs to flip the script" ....ok, that part is spot on. They do.

But...
"They owned Game 1, they need to go back to that". 

Freakin hilarious.
So, giving up 6 goals is 'owning the game'??
They were on their way to blowing out the Oilers, only to see the Oilers push them REAL hard and make it closer than they had any business doing...and THAT is owning the game??

Sure, Calgary won, but a 9-6 win, especially when you had the opponent down real good to start is hardly the type of game Calgary wants to play, much less "own". 

Tanev looked like he really hard a time battling with Hyman for that puck. I don't know if it's a shoulder injury he has, but he's usually stronger in that situation.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Math said:

That Kassian check on teammate Archibald reminded me of the gool ol' NES Pro Wrestling when the two guys fall at the same time when they collide.

My husband would call that "ate up friendly fire" from his days as an Army Ranger....and he "ain't got no time for that" 😄

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

My husband would call that "ate up friendly fire" from his days as an Army Ranger....and he "ain't got no time for that"

Well, that reminds me Pro Wresting's The Amazon :lol:

• Haha 1