*** 2021-22, 2nd Round SC Playoffs: Edmonton Oilers (P2) at Calgary Flames (P1)- (EDM WINS 4-1) ***

EDM vs CGY  

11 members have voted

1. 1. North vs South. Blue vs. Red. Oil vs Fire. You choose!

• 1-- Oilers in 4. Connor and Co. dose the Flames with the quickness of a January blizzard!
    • 2-- Oilers in 5. Cgy finds out that Edm is no Dallas when it comes to offense and fizzle under siege.
    • 3-- Oilers in 6. Very competitive series that sees both teams impose their will, but EDM still proves too much.
    • 4-- Oilers in 7. Classic series where the star power of the Oilers and their young 40 yr old netminder prove the difference
    • 5-- Flames in 4. Calgary burns the Oil, as Edm can't withstand the heat!
    • 6-- Flames in 5. Jacob Markstrom and the Flames make Mike Smith look like he's 50, and the Oil look like their WHL counterparts
    • 7-- Flames in 6. Very good series, but Calgary's overall team depth proves superior
    • 8-- Flames in 7. Epic roller coaster battle, but the Flames are just not gonna be denied their West Finals berth.

This poll is closed to new votes

11 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I believe so.
And also, "Calgary" will be pronounced "Down 3-1" if they don't get their heads out of their saddledomes, and step it up here.

I don't think Calgary playing bad but Markstrom is definitely playing bad...

• Like 1

Just now, Villella McMeans said:

I don't think Calgary playing bad but Markstrom is definitely playing bad...

The Flames held a pretty good possession advantage, though I think it was firmly in the quantity over quality of chances portion of the grid. Markstrom's mistake to open the game has to be demoralizing, even if the players would never publicly say so.

I expect a strong push from Calgary in the 2nd as they try to saw away at the lead.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Villella McMeans said:

Yup that how it really pronounced.

I really like Kylington's game. Wonderful skater and puck transporter who impacts offense and goal share, but doesn't rack up huge amounts of points. There's so much value to that in a salary cap league.

edit - I couldn't figure out how Geoff Ward didn't see fit to put him in the lineup every day. Like every NHL coach, he's forgotten more about the job than I'll ever know, but from my seat, Kylington looked like he was ready to contribute.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1

Flames get the goal they badly needed.  3-1

edit - there was a GREAT keep-in by Hanifin. What a play.

Edited by JR Ewing

12 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

It could be my eyes playing games on me, but Nurse seems to have more of his mobility back this evening.

Some news sources are saying hot peppers in the jock strap has that effect sometimes.
Brilliant maneuver by the Edmonton training staff! :shifty:

Never paid much attention to him before (and my assessment here could be wrong), but Edmonton's Ryan McLeod reminds me a bit of Tampa Bay's Anthony Cirelli...especially when Cirelli first came up.

That is to say, a versatile, do a bit of everything type player, good wheels so as to appear 'all over the place' at times, tenacious in hunting the puck down, and opportunistic when the other teams dongles around too much with the puck.

Cirelli has slowly rounded his game as he has matured in the NHL, and if my take on McLeod is somewhat accurate in comparing him to TB's center/winger, he may have a career as a very useful Swiss Army Knife player in the NHL for years to come.

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Never paid much attention to him before (and my assessment here could be wrong), but Edmonton's Ryan McLeod reminds me a bit of Tampa Bay's Anthony Cirelli...especially when Cirelli first came up.

That is to say, a versatile, do a bit of everything type player, good wheels so as to appear 'all over the place' at times, tenacious in hunting the puck down, and opportunistic when the other teams dongles around too much with the puck.

Cirelli has slowly rounded his game as he has matured in the NHL, and if my take on McLeod is somewhat accurate in comparing him to TB's center/winger, he may have a career as a very useful Swiss Army Knife player in the NHL for years to come.

That's exactly the wording I've used for how coach Woodcroft was developing him in the American League and has deployed him in the NHL: kind of a Swiss Army Knife player.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

That's exactly the wording I've used for how coach Woodcroft was developing him in the American League and has deployed him in the NHL: kind of a Swiss Army Knife player.

Cool!

Nice to know I can still see things on the ice and make a decent evaluation of a given player just by really paying attention!
Since I won't ever be a pro coach or scout (duh!), I can take satisfaction as a fan, that I have an idea of what I am watching. ;) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Looks like the refs got the same email in Edmonton as they got it newyork. The bett turd wants long series. More revenue.

I think all of the calls made against Edmonton were legitimate, but as ever, the refs give the trailing team all the benefit of the doubt while calling anything borderline against the leading team: game management. Unless there's an intent to injure or something dangerous, I don't expect another call against the Flames until if/when the game is tied.

Edited by JR Ewing
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I think all of the calls made against Edmonton were legitimate, but as ever, the refs give the trailing team all the benefit of the doubt while calling anything borderline against the leading team: game management. Unless there's an intent to injure or something dangerous, I don't expect another call against the Flames until if/when the game is tied.

Well there's one.
Indisputable one, granted.

When the Flames have seven active players on the ice, gotta call it.

Does EDM take this opportunity to cushion their lead?
Best if they dump the puck and let Markstrom handle it :bigteeth: 

Announcers just said crowd was stunned by that long range shortie.

Not JUST the crowd....but also stunned Mike Smith, the Edmonton bench, and especially, the goal light judge!
Guy was taking a club soda break because the play was at the other end with EDM on the PP!