Leafs post-season post-mortem pressers

If anyone watched these, you can't feel good about what's coming in 2022/23. 

The same exact nonsense uttered...growth, belief, close, etc. 

Shanahan stated he wasn't going to make changes for the sake of making changes. Uh, 4 straight series losses on Kyle's watch and 3 under Keefe, and you're bringing them back to make it 5 and 4, respectively?

Years ago many fans like me were hammering on intangibles and their need on this team. Here they are years later talking about how they need more drive and intensity and killer instinct. Yeah. We know. 

Depressing this team thinks the definition of insanity is the way to see different results. Expectations should be extremely low going into next season. Kyle is very unlikely to find another Bunting and he's likely to have a new goalie tandem. Doesn't bode well for success. I'd like to see the Leafs not make the playoffs to finally rid the org of things it needs ridding of. Not a single media member asked...What happens if another 1st round exit happens next season? It should be made clear that Kyle wouldn't be back should that happen. Keefe, too. Nope. We know losing is acceptable in Toronto. We've seen it for 6 straight seasons, and it wasn't the reason Babs or Lou aren't here anymore. Losing isn't all that important in Toronto and certainly no reason for change. Comfy culture. 

Elliotte Friedman summed some things up on a recent podcast of Kyper and Bourne...

image.png.53b35117b20dbdf49ed586eb2d4b1ca4.png

Edited by 3 Palmateers

13 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

What people in management say and what they plan to do are often very different things.

I couldn't agree more. Calling losing, again, progress was beyond bizarre. "It felt different." This org loves to spin and twist losing into not losing more than any other I've ever seen. 

The problem is also that it's been a problem for so long. Not making it past the first round isn't something that has affected this particular playing group, it's been around for a while. It's there a losing culture that needs to be broken? It's easy to get into the "here we go again" mindset and slip at the wrong time, fulfilling expectations in all the wrong ways. 

Part of me thinks that the problem is far more than something that needs the replacement of a few players, that player, coaching, and organisational levels all need fundamental restructuring to find genuine change in what it's putting out. Whether the owners have the stomach to do so is to be seen

• Like 1

Couldn't agree more. Can't see the forest for the trees. These guys don't get it. It has become them...all of them. Need a new perspective. A new tone set, a new culture, and that only comes through change. 

Why they would even consider staying the same is baffling. Is Tampa going to be worse next season? Are they counting on attrition of other teams to get where they want to go? Hey, we'll stay the same while we predict everyone else will get a little worse and then it's our time to shine. I mean, I guess that worked for Boston, as in, they're now better than them. Maybe, it'll work with the rest of the league, too?

Edited by 3 Palmateers

They could have used the Stars' rhetoric to justify this: "Hey, we had 115 pts in the regular season and finished second in a top-loaded division. Moreover, we competed very well against the double SC champs, pushing them to a game #7 and we were one goal away to eliminate them. We love where's the team at. It's as simple as that™."

Maybe let's see this thing in a kid's eyes. My little daughter who's a Leafs fan just asked me like 3 days later about the series' outcome: "Well sorry, they lost." -- "Oh it's not cool. When is the next game?" -- "Next fall when the new season begins." -- "Ok!". And she put his Leafs' pink cap and happily went to school.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Math said:

They could have used the Stars' rhetoric to justify this: "Hey, we had 115 pts in the regular season and finished second in a top-loaded division. Moreover, we competed very well against the double SC champs, pushing them to a game #7 and we were one goal away to eliminate them. We love where's the team at. It's as simple as that™."

Maybe let's see this thing in a kid's eyes. My little daughter who's a Leafs fan just asked me like 3 days later about the series' outcome: "Well sorry, they lost." -- "Oh it's not cool. When is the next game?" -- "Next fall when the new season begins." -- "Ok!". And she put his Leafs' pink cap and happily went to school.

I wish I could see it like her. Smart little girl, BTW. You're blessed to experience hockey fandom with her. My kids all hate sports but I bought my daughter a pink Leafs jersey and she wore it one night during the playoffs and was on the couch with me watching one of the games. They don't come often so that was pretty special to have her watch with me.

Sadly, I see it like Paul Coffey... 

Edited by 3 Palmateers