TV Commericals DURING the game?

GratefulFlyers

So now they're running them while the game is going on. Unbelievable. I'm sure you've seen them, split-screen video, talking right over the action. How greedy must you be to come up with that? it's so damn obnoxious. And it's only going to get worse - pretty soon we'll have a permanent split-screen.

• Like 2

@GratefulFlyers

How is this different than any other sporting event?

Soccer, auto racing, nearly every televised sporting event that does not have stoppages built into its play does this.

If guys keep the puck out of the net, don't commit any penalties and keep the puck in the rink, the play is continous.

Ever seen a mobile television production? All those people, that technical magic and live event story telling expertise isn't free.

I don't see where split screen ads is any kind of problem -you're not actually missing the game play. Also is Kenny Albert's voice a requirement to enjoy, anything ?

I mean he's okay... 

Your post has a person yells at cloud feeling to it. 

I invite you to remember that the "good old days" weren't. 

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

you're not actually missing the game play.

Brilliant, an ad industry talking point even they won't use in public. 

52 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Ever seen a mobile television production? All those people, that technical magic and live event story telling expertise isn't free.

Are you sure you want to be a life coach? Masquerading insults as a rationale can be good fun but you'll have to be better than "they need to eat too ya know."

• Good Post 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Brilliant, an ad industry talking point even they won't use in public. 

Where's the lie? 

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Are you sure you want to be a life coach?

Never claimed to be one.

However, not getting bunched up about patches on jerseys and commercials during a sporting event, has helped my blood pressure stay in the healthy range.

Also. Sorry.

I spend an inordinate amount of time with people who complain about what I deem to be trivial things and whose default is "people now are terrible and everything was better when". 

your post was the one thin mint that caused calamity. 

The link is from Monty Python's Life of Brian.

I should have just skipped that post.

Edited by mojo1917

... from an essay by Thomas Frank written in 1994 called Dark Age: Why Johnny Can't Dissent

Full essay

What reformed adman Earl Shorris has written of the early promise of TV may finally be accomplished in the near future: “Reality did not cease to exist, of course, but much of what people understood as reality, including virtually all of the commercial world, was mediated by television. It was as if a salesman had been placed between Americans and life.” TV is no longer merely “entertainment,” it is on the verge of becoming the ineluctable center of human consciousness, the site of every sort of exchange. As the Information Revolution proceeds the myths, assumptions, and folklores of business become the common language of humanity; business culture becomes human culture. Working and consuming from our houses, wired happily into what Harper’s magazine has called the “electronic hive,” we will each be corporate subjects—consumers and providers of “content”—as surely as were the hapless industrial proletarians of the last century.

36 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Interesting that the essay was written before the internet.

Well we had dial-up so it was there, just slow and unreliable. Minutes to load a page with pictures. No video. It's come a long way and Thomas Frank was incredibly prescient - he was saying in '94 what a lot of folks are just realizing now, that we citizens/consumers, we are the product. Everything that makes our lives our own, unique, is now a commodity - bought and sold. And what do we get for trading away our personal lives? TV that shows commercials during the fkng game!! lol

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Well we had dial-up so it was there, just slow and unreliable. Minutes to load a page with pictures. No video. It's come a long way

Maybe you did, I really didn't fool with the www until,  you'll love the irony of this, my boss told me to get on the internet and buy something. 

I chose CD now, which turned into Amazon. 

That was 1997. The internet was slow and stupid. 

We've long been the product.

It's just a way worse feeling now.