2022-23 Iowa Wild and Prospects Thread **

15 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I think we’ll finally see what type of coach Evason really is this season AND what type of scouting department the Wild has. There won’t be any big Zuccarello type signings to fill in the holes. It’s going to be “run what you brung”. 

Evason has shown either he is unwilling or unable to make in game adjustments on the fly. He also has a tendency to “stick with what works” for too long when it isn’t working. 

I don’t know. It certainly is going to be an interesting season. Maybe we’ll finally see that rebuild and the Wild end up in the top five of the lottery draft. Not that I have any confidence in the Wild’s scouting department…

I agree, there has been enough 'soak' time on some of these young players to see whether they will actually make an impact or that it was just a but of hopes and / or hype.  

Other than the fact Bill Guerin seems to like Dean Evason, I don't see a particularly skilled tactician.  I see a guy who mostly just runs the same stuff and hopes it works.  With all of these back to backs this season, you can bet that might really make Evason hesitate to have the team practice under the guise that rest is more valuable.  

I too hope its a Come to Jesus moment for the organization and they finally just are bad and we can get a few players that can actually move the needle for this organization from a one-&-done dud into something that can actually contend.  

Anyone see Wheeler's article grading the 2023 draft classes?  Basically the Wild reached too early in the draft and other than the Riley Heidt pick which is a high risk possibly high reward he seemed to think most of our guys are long shots to make it and that the grade would've been near the bottom instead of 'overtime losers' as he had them rated.  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

15 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I have not seen the Wheeler article, but most sites on the interwebz have the Wild at a C+/B- for their picks. 

Seems about right for the Wild. 

Yea, it seems like a meh return in a supposed deep draft.  

Here is eliteprospects info regarding our former prospect Minnesotan Brennan Menell:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/283890/brennan-menell

He was pretty successful in AHL and WHL, and it seems he was very successful for the good teams in KHL (38 points out of 47 played games for the Dinamo Minsk in 2020-2021 season and 24 points out of 44 played games for Dinamo Moscow in 2022-2023 season). Unfortunately, by the Evason's influence he had a minimal chance to play only 5 NHL games for the Wild team. And according to Brennan Menell record data on that eliteprospects link he has now a dual citizenship for USA and Russia. Yesterday, according to news, he has got a Russian citizenship personally from their President.  It is a very rare event happening for the US professional hockey players in a life time history.

On 8/4/2023 at 10:36 AM, Alexandron said:

The fact people are getting pumped up for Yurov moving to center or being a viable center candidate continues to show how little faith they have in Rossi.  

Don't get me wrong, Yurov and Khusnutdinov and Ohgren are the forward prospects that seem to have the most potential.  I can't wait to see them make the trip across the pond next year.  (knock on wood)

15 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

The fact people are getting pumped up for Yurov moving to center or being a viable center candidate continues to show how little faith they have in Rossi.  

Don't get me wrong, Yurov and Khusnutdinov and Ohgren are the forward prospects that seem to have the most potential.  I can't wait to see them make the trip across the pond next year.  (knock on wood)

I think you are right. Interesting, I watched on YouTube a couple hours ago that commentators predicted a very promising trio in the Wild club for 2025-26 season Kaprizov-Yurov-Khusnutdinov. Their info was based on the "Athletic" info. And this way Wild will hold Kaprizov to stay here.

Agree also regarding Ohgren. It seems very nice potential for that player too.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 12:01 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

It will be interesting to see if Guerin starts defending Rossi the way he did Dumba.  Where he feels people are counting him out and whether he'll ask people to stop being so vocal in their criticism of him.  Just a bit of a prediction...

I don't think the level of vocal intensity will be as high as when the whole Fiala vs Dumba scenario was taking place. BG wasn't that fond of Fiala while he bent over backwards in support for Dumba.
But BG likes to voice his opinion and Rossi will be the closest issue for him to chime in on, So pretty good prediction there. 😁

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 5:58 PM, ClusterChuck said:

I don't think the level of vocal intensity will be as high as when the whole Fiala vs Dumba scenario was taking place. BG wasn't that fond of Fiala while he bent over backwards in support for Dumba.
But BG likes to voice his opinion and Rossi will be the closest issue for him to chime in on, So pretty good prediction there. 😁

Rossi does provide some built in excuses (Myocarditis, the lost season, etc) but he's had time to develop and this team needs him to be ready to make an impact.  He's a Top 10 pick on a team that rarely gets to select from that part of the draft and as a center this team desperately needs him to live up to that potential / hype, because if not it will be a major setback.  

I think I said this earlier in this thread, but this is a big year not just for Guerin IMO where you start to see if Rossi and maybe others have what it takes to make the next step but its also big for Judd Brackett.  Brackett who was heralded needs to start showing tangible signs that he can mine talent for this team that will actually be a difference maker.  So far, none of his selections have made an impact yet.  It doesn't matter that publications and 'experts' chime in saying you have a top prospect pool, until it makes a difference on the ice for the Wild it's just that...words and nothing more.  

• Like 2

I am surprised that in 3 weeks the other 2 new interesting articles came regarding a nice potential of our 2 promising prospects:

Marat Khusnutdinov: https://hockeywilderness.com/news-rumors/minnesota-wild/marat-khusnutdinov-can-hit-the-ground-running-next-year-r29539/

and Danila Iurov: https://hockeywilderness.com/news-rumors/minnesota-wild/danila-yurov-is-the-whole-package-and-arriving-soon-r29530/

It seems both have a chance to come to us next season, sooner than it was predicted.

20 hours ago, Alexandron said:

I am surprised that in 3 weeks the other 2 new interesting articles came regarding a nice potential of our 2 promising prospects:

Marat Khusnutdinov: https://hockeywilderness.com/news-rumors/minnesota-wild/marat-khusnutdinov-can-hit-the-ground-running-next-year-r29539/

and Danila Iurov: https://hockeywilderness.com/news-rumors/minnesota-wild/danila-yurov-is-the-whole-package-and-arriving-soon-r29530/

It seems both have a chance to come to us next season, sooner than it was predicted.

(yawn)  Until it shows itself on the ice, I'm growing tired of these articles.  Honestly, we are sounding more and more like the Minnesota Twins each day.    

9 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

(yawn)  Until it shows itself on the ice, I'm growing tired of these articles.  Honestly, we are sounding more and more like the Minnesota Twins each day.    

😉. What is common between words "Minnesota Twins" and "Minnesota Wild"? The word "Minnesota". I really want to see the word "Minnesota" to be written "MINNESOTA" that every hockey media will talk about Wild as a real cup contender, but not a ballast for the 1st round playoffs as usual we are. We lost these playoffs season an absolutely nice chance to beat Dallas team, but we didn't. We were not able to control Suter, who cruelly blocked previously injured Kaprizov entire round#1. Where was Reaves during that entire round#1? Practically invisible.  And Foligno has got multiple penalties for nothing during that time.   Not acceptable judge from unprofessional referees during same entire round#1. Hope Maroon will show how to protect crucial players for this game. His role for this club should be enormous. I do not think we had anything of that level before.

17 hours ago, Alexandron said:

😉. What is common between words "Minnesota Twins" and "Minnesota Wild"? The word "Minnesota". I really want to see the word "Minnesota" to be written "MINNESOTA" that every hockey media will talk about Wild as a real cup contender, but not a ballast for the 1st round playoffs as usual we are. We lost these playoffs season an absolutely nice chance to beat Dallas team, but we didn't. We were not able to control Suter, who cruelly blocked previously injured Kaprizov entire round#1. Where was Reaves during that entire round#1? Practically invisible.  And Foligno has got multiple penalties for nothing during that time.   Not acceptable judge from unprofessional referees during same entire round#1. Hope Maroon will show how to protect crucial players for this game. His role for this club should be enormous. I do not think we had anything of that level before.

The organization continues to do the same thing and hopes for a different result, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.  

Interesting, what is Iowa Wild team will show us this season with a new coaching staff? Maybe the talents will bloom better there? Always a hope for a better success. Still believe into an axiom that a smart coaching staff is affecting well on the prospect's talent development which is an important part of the hockey sport.

2 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Interesting, what is Iowa Wild team will show us this season with a new coaching staff? Maybe the talents will bloom better there? Always a hope for a better success. Still believe into an axiom that a smart coaching staff is affecting well on the prospect's talent development which is an important part of the hockey sport.

I too hope for more out of the prospects, but it's not just the coaching. 

It's the material the coaching staff has to work with.

You can bring in the greatest horse trainer in the world, but there is no way they are going to ever get a Clydesdale to win the Kentucky Derby...

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 12:17 PM, IllaZilla said:

I too hope for more out of the prospects, but it's not just the coaching. 

It's the material the coaching staff has to work with.

You can bring in the greatest horse trainer in the world, but there is no way they are going to ever get a Clydesdale to win the Kentucky Derby...

Wait a sec, I thought if you just got the horse to train a bit they'd be ready to win the Triple Crown after racing at Canterbury for a few weeks?!?!  Are you saying that's not true? (gasp)  

In all of my years of watching the Iowa Wild, they rarely ever appeared to be the more talented, faster team.  Tim Army helped make them a hard-working, blue collar kind of team...but they normally looked out skilled by our opponent's best players / lines.  Goaltenders often had to be stellar just for them to have a chance as offense was usually a struggle and that was even with Marco Rossi in the lineup.  

While Brett McLean will be a fresh voice, he will have a lot of young players on the back end and some new faces up front in their 1st pro seasons.  That normally means lots of growing pains rather than on-ice domination.  

13 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Here is a Minnesota Wild roster for Tom Kurvers prospect show case at Tria Rink from 09/15-09/17 against Chicago and St. Louis. All games will be streamed on YouTube channel. 

https://www.iowawild.com/news/detail/minnesota-wild-to-host-tom-kurvers-prospect-showcase-at-tria-rink-1

According to a presented Wild roster, we are going to have pretty productive players as in offense as well as in defense. I do not think we had that before.  It seems an interesting strategy for our new prospect team. Will see how it will work next week. Hopefully, well.

(shrugs)  I'll believe it when I see it.  Iowa doesn't have a lot of firepower and most of what it had last year is probably going to be with the big club this year (Rossi, Beckman).  They will have more prospects playing the major roles so they will have a chance to show if they can sink or swim right away.  

Here is a review of 2 games , which we had the last week at Tom Kurvers Prospects Showcase:

against St.Louis (score was 1:5) https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/tk-showcase-recap-game-1

and against Chicago (score was 7:4) https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/tk-showcase-recap-game-2

The most productive in 2 games, in my opinion, was Sammy Walker who had 13 shots on goal ( 5 in the game#1 and 8 in game#2 ; hat trick and 1 assist). 

I saw the 2nd one against the Chicago Blackhawks prospects minus Connor Bedard.  Sammy Walker had a hat trick; but that top line of Walker, Riley Heidt and Hunter Haight was the best the Wild had in that scrimmage.  They caused a lot of chaos and Haight and Heidt set up Walker for some nice finishes.  Heidt is really good at stripping opponents of the puck.

Rasmus Kumpulainen isn't the most fleet of foot, but he works hard and has better vision and instincts than I expected.  He's going to play for Oshawa (OHL) this year which is why he was at the scrimmage.  

Carson Lambos looked really good; mobile and really involved all over the ice.  I am not sure if he has a lot of offensive potential from a scoring perspective but he makes good passes and he can either carry it out of the zone or make a good first pass out of the zone.  Kyle Masters also looked pretty good and he had two helpers too.  Simon Johansson and Daemon Hunt were solid too.  Ryan O'Rourke got into a fight but beyond that wasn't that noticeable as the other four guys I mentioned.  

The Wild were using invitee players between the pipes in the game against Chicago.  Wallstedt played in the Wild's 5-1 loss to the Blues prospects.