Knights trade 4th rounder for Adin Hill

Literally just days after stating they were fine with going in with Brossoit and Thompson with Hutchinson as the first callup if needed, the Knights have traded a 4th round pick to the Sharks for Adin Hill.

Hill was the odd man out in San Jose where Reimer and Kahkonen will now share the net in some sort of a 1A and 1B tandem. 

It was a bit of a surprise seeing the Sharks help their biggest rival in Vegas by dealing them Hill but it states that most if not all teams are comfortable with what they have in net as the season looms. 

I cannot lie, I like Hill, I actually like him quiite a lot. With a bad Sharks team he went 10-11-1 with a fine goals against of 2.66. In fact, he has spent his entire career playing with awful teams and in spite of that he is 29-32-5 with a save pct of 9.08 and a career goals against of 2.74. I think the Knights got a steal for a 4th rounder, he will likely start as the 1B behind Thompson whose net it is to lose as Brossoit continues to try to round into shape after offseason hip surgery. I think Hill brings much needed stability to the crease and is a very underrated goalie. Great add, very little risk. The salary is a bit of a problem for Vegas who may now need to make yet another move as Hill makes just a tad under 2.2 million on the final year of his current deal but hey, its vegas baby.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Literally just days after stating they were fine with going in with Brossoit and Thompson with Hutchinson as the first callup if needed, the Knights have traded a 4th round pick to the Sharks for Adin Hill.

Hill was the odd man out in San Jose where Reimer and Kahkonen will now share the net in some sort of a 1A and 1B tandem. 

It was a bit of a surprise seeing the Sharks help their biggest rival in Vegas by dealing them Hill but it states that most if not all teams are comfortable with what they have in net as the season looms. 

I cannot lie, I like Hill, I actually like him quiite a lot. With a bad Sharks team he went 10-11-1 with a fine goals against of 2.66. In fact, he has spent his entire career playing with awful teams and in spite of that he is 29-32-5 with a save pct of 9.08 and a career goals against of 2.74. I think the Knights got a steal for a 4th rounder, he will likely start as the 1B behind Thompson whose net it is to lose as Brossoit continues to try to round into shape after offseason hip surgery. I think Hill brings much needed stability to the crease and is a very underrated goalie. Great add, very little risk. The salary is a bit of a problem for Vegas who may now need to make yet another move as Hill makes just a tad under 2.2 million on the final year of his current deal but hey, its vegas baby.

This move tells me the Knights don't think Brossoit will be ready by the start of the season.  Odd man out is Hutchinson.

Well I was partially correct .... I got the right team...wrong goalie...  (from my other post)

James Reimer - The San Jose Sharks have signaled the re-tooling process after they traded Brent Burns to the Carolina Hurricanes. One of the areas they must figure out is goaltending.  The Sharks currently have, besides Reimer,  Adin Hill, and Kaapo Kahkonen. All three goaltenders are signed between $2-3 million for next season. None of the three goaltenders are waiver eligible and it would be a mistake to let any of them go right now for nothing. As a team not expected to make the playoffs next season, the Sharks would be wise to run with their 25- and 26-year-old goaltenders in the hopes that at least one will emerge as a starting option for them for the future. That leaves 34-year-old Reimer who posted a .911 SV% and 2.90 GAA on a very beaten-down Sharks team that featured a ton of rookies. He would do much better with a strong team in front of him and is less than half of the price Lehner costs.  Again, the trick will be finding caps space.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Still wouldn't place any bets on any of these goaltenders for Vegas.  I guess it's debatable that Hill is underrated.  However, not sure that's saying very much, since his "rating" was pretty low.  Not sure he's much more than what Thompson brings to them.

Agree, I am a veteran FHL GM.  I wouldn't touch any of the Vegas goalies at the moment in a Fantasy draft.  Like I said obviously Hutchinson is the odd man out and honestly no FHL GM would waste a draft pick on him.  However, by bringing Hill into the mix that muddies the water a bit.  Vegas now has Hill / Brossoit / Thompson in the fold.  Most Fantasy draft experts had Thompson as about a 90% chance as starter in Vegas with Hutchinson as back-up until Brossoit was healthy.

With the addition of Hill I could see a 1A/1B type starting goalie situations.  Then what happens when Brossoit gets healthy?

• Like 2

Hill is a decent backup.  And he's a 1B on a team that only has Thompson.   That's about all you can say about him.

No opponent team is having locker room discussions of "how do we beat this goalie" ahead of games against the Knights, though (most because they're unconcerned, the Flyers because it really doesn't matter whose in; they won't score anyway).   

I'm not necessarily down on Hill -- he's a decent back up -- though maybe not as glowing as @yave1964.    I don't think I like my chances going into a season thinking he's playing nearly 50% of my starts though. 

I always wonder about "decent numbers despite always playing for lousy teams" for a goalie.   Are their numbers "good for a lousy team" or is the team lousy because the goaltenders didn't have numbers for a winning team?

50 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Hill is a decent backup.  And he's a 1B on a team that only has Thompson.   That's about all you can say about him.

No opponent team is having locker room discussions of "how do we beat this goalie" ahead of games against the Knights, though (most because they're unconcerned, the Flyers because it really doesn't matter whose in; they won't score anyway).   

I'm not necessarily down on Hill -- he's a decent back up -- though maybe not as glowing as @yave1964.    I don't think I like my chances going into a season thinking he's playing nearly 50% of my starts though. 

I always wonder about "decent numbers despite always playing for lousy teams" for a goalie.   Are their numbers "good for a lousy team" or is the team lousy because the goaltenders didn't have numbers for a winning team?

I get the chicken or the egg question, is the goalie putting up decent numbers on a bad team or is the team bad because of the goalie?

Hill played for an awful 'Yotes team and a bad Sharks club. A quick comparison of his goals against  compared to goalies on the same team at the same time...

SHARKS 2021-22 

Hill 2.66 goals against, .906 

others 2.91 goals against .909

COYOTES

hill 2.79 goals against spread out over three seasons and 45 starts, a fair sample size

OTHERS 2.44 goals against.  Most of the starts were by Kuemper who is a true solid NHL starter.

So his numbers in Arizona were good, but not as good as Kuemper, thus the backup role. In San Jose his numbers were better than Reimer,although Reimer early in the year had a nice winning streak because it seemed that every start the Sharks scored five goals for him.

So that is probably where I see hill, not in the same class as Kuemper, at least the equal if not slightly better than Reimer. Both have proven that with bad teams they are not good enough to get them over the top but in both cases, Reimer in Carolina and Kuemper in Colorado they can win consistently with good or great teams.

I think Vegas, warts and all is a good team. I think Hill is better than Broissot and probably better than Thompson. If given a chance I think he could and should win more than he loses, should stay relatively healthy and is capable of stretches of if not carrying the team at least not screwing up a winning streak. I dont feel that way with any of the other Vegas goalies. As a starter, 50-55 games i would rank him in the bottom ten of full time starters probably, but as a 1A or 1B riding him when he is hot, sitting him when he is not he is a weapon to be used if used properly he is an asset. I love Cassidy as a coach and feel he gets the most out of this type of player so my predictions for him would be something like 

18-11-2 2.65 goals against .908 save pct. Not great, but for a 4th rounder to a team in desperate need of goalie help it is a damn nice get.

Edited by yave1964
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Given what the Knights have to choose from goalie-wise, this was about a good a move as they could make.

I've always liked Hill as well.
In fact, some of my rival FHL GM's may recall I was on his bandwagon (and picked him up for my teams many times) back when he was still a Coyote and thought he would be the one to "lead" the Yotes to contention in net.

Obviously, that never happened, but like Yave said, given the teams he has been on, his numbers aren't too shabby.
Then again, one of the reasons I DROPPED OFF his bandwagon is his penchant for going stretches where he absolutely looks AHL quality, and on the nights he is 'off', he REALLY looks OFF!

Vegas is still playing with fire here, so to speak, but not like they had many choices, and I guess I would go with a tandem of Thompson-Hill to start things off rather than Thompson-Brossoit, or Thompson-Random Body.

If Hill has matured enough (and can stay healthy enough) to prove he can man the pipes behind a good team with consistency, then Vegas made out like one armed bandits here.
If not, well, goaltending may very well be the Knights' undoing this season.

• Like 2