New Wild Podcast...

CreaseAndAssist

On 1/27/2024 at 5:42 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

Crease And Assist: Episode #33 Oh Captain, My Captain

In this episode, @MNSOTA and I discuss what Wild GM Bill Guerin will likely do with Jared Spurgeon being out for the season as well as discussing whether this fanbase is willing to be bad in order to be good for the long-term.  Check it out!  

That’s a tough subject. Not sure what BG can do with Spurgeon. Pretty hard to trade a player who is out for surgery and with the trade restrictions due to kick in. His value now is as low as it could be. 
Bad timing for the injuries for sure. 
Probably have to ride it out. 
As far as fan base tolerance for being bad that’s maybe a bigger problem. 
Everyone wants to see their team win, but at this point I don’t mind so much when they let wins get away from them, because I know it will lead to a better draft position. 
I don’t think trading away the most valuable players is the way to go though. 
If I had my way they would trade away the dead weight and the non returning players for whatever they can get and give the players with promise an audition. 
I don’t really want to see games like the coyote’s game but they can play well and still lose. 
I’m sure the owner doesn’t feel that way, but I’m not sure how realistic he is. 
Just my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Tomdog said:

That’s a tough subject. Not sure what BG can do with Spurgeon. Pretty hard to trade a player who is out for surgery and with the trade restrictions due to kick in. His value now is as low as it could be. 
Bad timing for the injuries for sure. 
Probably have to ride it out. 
As far as fan base tolerance for being bad that’s maybe a bigger problem. 
Everyone wants to see their team win, but at this point I don’t mind so much when they let wins get away from them, because I know it will lead to a better draft position. 
I don’t think trading away the most valuable players is the way to go though. 
If I had my way they would trade away the dead weight and the non returning players for whatever they can get and give the players with promise an audition. 
I don’t really want to see games like the coyote’s game but they can play well and still lose. 
I’m sure the owner doesn’t feel that way, but I’m not sure how realistic he is. 
Just my opinion. 

Thanks for listening.  I don't think we suggested we trade everyone. 

But I'd be fine with a tear down, and I don't mind the idea of being bad for a few seasons to then build ourselves into a contender.  I don't mind much when they lose either, for the same reason you said; better draft position.  

Another thing that our poll didn't determine; was how many of the "They won't do it ever" group really wishes the team would tear it down.  But even as is...a growing portion seem to be in favor of that instead of the 'Tweak, Rinse and Repeat' insanity this fanbase has endured for the better part of a decade.  

I'd rather tear down that than desperately trade futures (prospects and/or picks) for some old rental.  Or just tear it down to the following pieces: Kaprizov, Eriksson Ek, Faber, Rossi, Wallstedt...the rest can go.  

One thing I will give BG credit for is that he hasn’t moved significant draft picks or future talent in any of the trades he has made. 
Mostly it has been a nothing player for a player that might turn it around with the Wild. 
I have a feeling that when the cap crunch is over most of the 2nd 3rd line players will end up being 4th liners and defenseman like Mids and Spurg will be 3rd pair guys. 
At least that’s how I see it unfolding. 

19 hours ago, Tomdog said:

One thing I will give BG credit for is that he hasn’t moved significant draft picks or future talent in any of the trades he has made. 
Mostly it has been a nothing player for a player that might turn it around with the Wild. 
I have a feeling that when the cap crunch is over most of the 2nd 3rd line players will end up being 4th liners and defenseman like Mids and Spurg will be 3rd pair guys. 
At least that’s how I see it unfolding. 

It will be an awfully expensive 4th line.  

7 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

It will be an awfully expensive 4th line.  

Yes it will, but does anyone really see some of our 2nd and 3rd line players being any more than that on a true cup contending team?

Does anyone see an aging small Spurgeon being a top 4 pairing on a contending team?

IMO no. 

13 hours ago, Tomdog said:

Yes it will, but does anyone really see some of our 2nd and 3rd line players being any more than that on a true cup contending team?

Does anyone see an aging small Spurgeon being a top 4 pairing on a contending team?

IMO no. 

We never said any of those things.  It is why we invite a tear down as do a growing number of Wild fans.  It was fairly evident on Michael Russo / Joe Smith's latest mailbag too.  Most folks see it as a flawed team that should probably be gutted and in the more immediate sense not worth making any moves to 'save' its playoff hopes.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Episode #34: Into the Looking Glass (Part2)

In this episode, @MNSOTA, Kalisha and myself look at the Minnesota Wild prospect pool and which prospect Wild fans are most excited about.  We also answer a ton of listener questions too and Theresa gives her two cents on what she feels Minnesota's PWHL team ought to be called.  Give it a listen!  

• 2 weeks later...

Episode #35: Iowa, We Have a Problem

In this episode, @MNSOTA and I discuss the Iowa Wild's struggles and whether or not that should matter to the Minnesota Wild.  We also discuss Mason Shaw and who he may replace in the lineup whenever he gets his chance and whether or not the team will be a buyer at the trade deadline.  Check it out!  

• 2 weeks later...

Episode #36: Trader Bill and the State Tournament

We discuss the #mnwild trade deadline day moves, we also discuss the state tournament and answer listener questions too.  Lastly, @MNSOTA talks about the travesty that is the DIv-III Men's & Women's hockey brackets / tournaments.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Thanks for dropping that here.  I thought he looked pretty good last night, albeit against Anaheim.  But he looked fairly comfortable.  Won some draws, delivered a few checks, played attentive defense and even used his speed a bit too.  Not sure why the Wild decided to nail him to the bench for the 3rd.  

I think he has the potential to be a very important role player for the club.  And still just 21 years old too.  

• Like 1

Episode #37: Wild Ride the Fleury bus?

In this episode, @MNSOTA and I discuss the resurgence of Marc-Andre Fleury, the future of Filip Gustavsson and the NHL debut of Marat Khusnutdinov.  We answer listener questions and Theresa talks about possible NHL expansion to Alpharetta, Georgia.  Give it a listen!  

Episode #38: The Ides of March

@MNSOTA and I discuss the Wild's playoff chances, the return of Vladislav Firstov and we play game.  We also answer listener questions and Theresa unloads on the league over some comments it made in the wake of yet another former enforcer dying way too young.  Give it a listen!  

• 2 weeks later...

Episode #39: Questions and Suspensions

In this episode, @MNSOTA, Kalisha and I discuss the suspension of Ryan Hartman.  We also discuss what question we'd ask Wild GM Bill Guerin as well as answer listener questions and give our two cents on the NCAA transfer portal and its effect on college hockey.  

I know this was asked in another thread, but if you could ask Wild GM Bill Guerin one question what would it be?  Answer here and we'll included it in next week's episode.  

Episode #40: Questions For Our Leader (Bill Guerin)

In this @MNSOTA and Kalisha share questions generated from listeners for Wild GM Bill Guerin including what they think will be his likely responses.  They also ask how fans are feeling about this team as the 2023-24 season inches closer to a conclusion.  

Again there is a reminder of an NHL Draft Get together on June 28th at Reid's at 5:30PM-to-10PM, we'd love to meet-n-greet!  

Lastly, do you have slogan for the Minnesota Wild for the 2024-25 season, if so what is it, it doesn't matter how sarcastic or sincere it may be.  Post it here and we'll include it in next week's show!  

2 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Episode #40: Questions For Our Leader (Bill Guerin)

In this @MNSOTA and Kalisha share questions generated from listeners for Wild GM Bill Guerin including what they think will be his likely responses.  They also ask how fans are feeling about this team as the 2023-24 season inches closer to a conclusion.  

Again there is a reminder of an NHL Draft Get together on June 28th at Reid's at 5:30PM-to-10PM, we'd love to meet-n-greet!  

Lastly, do you have slogan for the Minnesota Wild for the 2024-25 season, if so what is it, it doesn't matter how sarcastic or sincere it may be.  Post it here and we'll include it in next week's show!  

Deja Vu all over again…

• Like 1

Personally, for me, comparing to previous seasons, the team overall didn't show enough character, enough winning motivation to win every game and to produce enough goals for wins. Especially some of the players who supposed to be real helpers. Our injuries were not an excuse for that at all because every team is going through injuries.

23 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Personally, for me, comparing to previous seasons, the team overall didn't show enough character, enough winning motivation to win every game and to produce enough goals for wins. Especially some of the players who supposed to be real helpers. Our injuries were not an excuse for that at all because every team is going through injuries.

Is this what you think Wild GM Bill Guerin will say in the post-season autopsy?  

13 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Is this what you think Wild GM Bill Guerin will say in the post-season autopsy?  

No, Guerin will say that the injuries are not an excuse but that because of the injuries, players were put in situations where they had to play more than they should have. And that the dead money isn’t an excuse, but it limited who the team could bring in. And that the extensions weren’t a bad thing because those players are known quantities and the draft picks we might have gotten for them are unknown quantities and might never play in the NHL. 

• Haha 1

And all that is accurate,  but if you never break the comfort zone of what is a known commodity you won't find anything better than what you have.

And what we have isn't good enough. 

• Good Post 1