Bruins add Orlov/Hathaway, Capitals throw in the towel

yave1964

About an hour ago i read the Capitals were holding Dmitri Orlov and Hathaway out of tonights game which was kind of a surprise, they are only a few points out in a messy wonderful fun seven team dog pile fighting for two spots.

Now there are six. The Capitals traded Hathaway and Orlov to the Bruins for two thirds and a second rounder. The Capitals are apparently adding futures and have made their decision to move on with the 22-23 season. The Bruins also sent failing winger Craig Smith to make the money work.

What great adds for the Bruins. Garnet hathaway is a mean as hell tough winger who can score a bit but his game is hitting and punishing you up and down the ice. Orlov is a fantastic penalty killer and a nasty piece of work as well. I cannot think of a better trade for Hockeys best team, adding two perfect style playoff players.

Capitals have been a one and done for years now, it looks like they are finally facing reality and a rebuild of sorts is under way. 

• Good Post 1

The Ol' Dirty Bruins are back in business, great additions for them. They were targeted to miss the postseason, now they are true contenders thank to Cassidy shipped out of town that weidly coincided with Krejci back in town. All-in for them, I'd have done the same.

• Like 2

Just posted in the shoutbox that I thought the Caps were waving the white flag, so yea, I agree....they are done apparently with this season.

Bruins do get some good post season grinders, and not just ANY grinders, but guys who have won (Orlov for sure....can't remember if Hathaway was part of Washington's Cup winning team), and it should make them that much tougher to play against.

I still contend the Bruins have to show up and win when it counts, and there is of course, the matter of the President's Trophy curse (looks like they will be winning that), but these additions should help.
More reasons for me to say "I can't stand the Bruins" :shifty: 

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Math said:

The Ol' Dirty Bruins are back in business, great additions for them. They were targeted to miss the postseason, now they are true contenders thank to Cassidy shipped out of town that weidly coincided with Krejci back in town. All-in for them, I'd have done the same.

Haha yeah I thought they'd be fighting for playoff spot not leading the league...still think they'll slump soon though...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Just posted in the shoutbox that I thought the Caps were waving the white flag, so yea, I agree....they are done apparently with this season.

Bruins do get some good post season grinders, and not just ANY grinders, but guys who have won (Orlov for sure....can't remember if Hathaway was part of Washington's Cup winning team), and it should make them that much tougher to play against.

I still contend the Bruins have to show up and win when it counts, and there is of course, the matter of the President's Trophy curse (looks like they will be winning that), but these additions should help.
More reasons for me to say "I can't stand the Bruins" :shifty: 

Yep Hathaway won Cup with Washington I pretty sure...

35 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

About an hour ago i read the Capitals were holding Dmitri Orlov and Hathaway out of tonights game which was kind of a surprise, they are only a few points out in a messy wonderful fun seven team dog pile fighting for two spots.

Now there are six. The Capitals traded Hathaway and Orlov to the Bruins for two thirds and a second rounder. The Capitals are apparently adding futures and have made their decision to move on with the 22-23 season. The Bruins also sent failing winger Craig Smith to make the money work.

What great adds for the Bruins. Garnet hathaway is a mean as hell tough winger who can score a bit but his game is hitting and punishing you up and down the ice. Orlov is a fantastic penalty killer and a nasty piece of work as well. I cannot think of a better trade for Hockeys best team, adding two perfect style playoff players.

Capitals have been a one and done for years now, it looks like they are finally facing reality and a rebuild of sorts is under way. 

Yeah I thought from beginning Pittsburgh and Washington would be fighting for playoff spot but didn't think they'd give up like Washington is obviously doing now...it must be related to Ovie dad passing away and Ovie obviously not into hockey right now...I think Gretzky retired not long after his dad died but I'm not positive or maybe was after his mom died or something...I'll have to look it up because I'm just going off memories and that was long time ago haha...

2018 Stanley Cup*:  Orlov yes, Hathaway no (was with Calgary).  Orlov one of the few guys I felt had some chance of success in late game clutch situations.

As I said somewhere recently, first round playoff clobberings have limited value for largely-veteran clubs like Washington.  Yes, correct move to focus on the future beyond this spring.

Y’know, if you can’t win yer home game against a bottom-dweller like Anaheim, then y’know you were right to make the trade.  (Ducks end a 6-game skid tonite, while Caps extend theirs to 6.).

Caps tonite show their CONTINUING inability to convert chances despite a decent “midfield game”.

More trades, please.  Keep the draft picks comin’.

*  Washington had their 2018 Glory vs the Golden Knights, and haven’t won a playoff series since then.  The Capitals give new meaning to the saying:

”What happens in Vegas; stays in Vegas!!!”

Edited by SaucyJack
  • Like 2

Caps with a lead last night that they could not hold took a regulation loss to a very bad ducks team at home. Lots of booing by a very restless crowd. They still have Ovie to root for on his march towards destiny but an aging team clearly looks to be done. 

• Like 1