Wild vs. Maple Leafs 2/24/23 @ 6PM at Air Canada Centre

CreaseAndAssist

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Wild have been good along the boards ALL freakin game, lose this one battle along the boards, Nylander makes good on it.

Cruel game, this hockey.
Can be very cruel..

Sad OT loss. We had a nice chance to win it on their home ice.

Just now, ClusterChuck said:

Odd trio to start the OT also. Never really got the cycling going even with Kap out there.

Actually Gaudreau was not able to hold the puck during a 2nd trio line in OT. They have a better more accurate producers than we are, but we had a chance to win this one. 

2 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Actually Gaudreau was not able to hold the puck during a 2nd trio line in OT. They have a better more accurate producers than we are, but we had a chance to win this one. 

He made a great great play and then lost it. Our starting trio missing Brodin was not the best choice with Kap parked in front of the net. He needed to be handling the puck and play.

2 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

He made a great great play and then lost it. Our starting trio missing Brodin was not the best choice with Kap parked in front of the net. He needed to be handling the puck and play.

And don't forget the HUGE loss of not having Jon Merrill out there :ph34r: 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Odd trio to start the OT also. Never really got the cycling going even with Kap out there.

I think he chose this way (Kaprizov-EEK-Spurgeon) as a combined trio of the one main scorer and 2 more defensively minded players which is understandable to bring down initially the pressure at the start of the OT.  If I remember Boudreau used at the beginning of OT even 2 defensemen and 1 forward for the same reason.

5 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

I think he chose this way (Kaprizov-EEK-Spurgeon) as a combined trio of the one main scorer and 2 more defensively minded players which is understandable to bring down initially the pressure at the start of the OT.  If I remember Boudreau used at the beginning of OT even 2 defensemen and 1 forward for the same reason.

Given our success with BB in OT's, That's not a great plan. ;)
We had a chance to gain an extra point vs a tough team on the road. Why not go for it quick with an offensive trio? 

Edited by ClusterChuck

Personally for me it would be nice to try more offensively minded line right at the start (Kaprizov - Zuccarello- Addison); then we can use a 2nd trio line Hartman - Boldy- Brodin if he is healthy(or Spurgeon); and a 3rd trio line could be EEK- Gaudreau- Dumba. The last 2 trio lines will give us more physicality.

17 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Given our success with BB in OT's, That's not a great plan. ;)
We had a chance to gain an extra point vs a tough team on the road. Why not go for it quick with an offensive trio? 

Yes, that was my proposal in my previous message before reading yours. 😃

17 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Still a great point and we need to back up that effort with a solid win again vs CBJ.

I completely agree a point is great (we are now 2 points behind the 1st place Stars in our Division), but we really needed 2. Look what is going on with this Dallas Stars team? 12 OT losses. Overall they practically gain nothing especially recently. We need any (ugly or beautiful) but solid wins in regulation. From the game against CBJ I would like to see only hat tricks and nothing less. Everyone should step up in production. One goal or 2 goals per game is not enough especially for the playoffs season which we had seen for many years as our weakest spot during playoffs. Only Kaprizov had 7 goals last playoffs season, but the rest of the team even including Fiala did not show much production.   I am not sure if we can win a Stanley Cup by playing mostly defensive style. The last decade winners were practically offensively minded including Colorado and Tampa teams.

10 hours ago, Alexandron said:

He also continuously trotted out the Country Club of Parise, Suter, and Koivu who all skated like they had a boat anchor in their pants, which is a huge disadvantage with all the extra open ice.  But hey, when the coaches want to be on the ice, who was Boudreau to tell them "No"?

Edited by IllaZilla
  • Good Post 1

13 hours ago, Alexandron said:

I completely agree a point is great (we are now 2 points behind the 1st place Stars in our Division), but we really needed 2. Look what is going on with this Dallas Stars team? 12 OT losses.

We gained 9 of 10 pts in the same 5 games the Stars got 0. We have 2 more reg wins and the Jets have 5 more reg wins than the Stars but those 12 OTL's is obviously why they're ahead.
Shows they're always in it whether a crazy late comeback or a blown lead late. Too irratic for me with all their fire power and yet they lose so often in OT. I doubt they get far in the PO's.
Meanwhile the Av's are on a hot streak too with less games played than the 3 teams ahead of them. They're going to be fighting for or at the top spot in a week or so I say. 

• Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 9:48 PM, Alexandron said:

I completely agree a point is great (we are now 2 points behind the 1st place Stars in our Division), but we really needed 2. Look what is going on with this Dallas Stars team? 12 OT losses. Overall they practically gain nothing especially recently. We need any (ugly or beautiful) but solid wins in regulation. From the game against CBJ I would like to see only hat tricks and nothing less. Everyone should step up in production. One goal or 2 goals per game is not enough especially for the playoffs season which we had seen for many years as our weakest spot during playoffs. Only Kaprizov had 7 goals last playoffs season, but the rest of the team even including Fiala did not show much production.   I am not sure if we can win a Stanley Cup by playing mostly defensive style. The last decade winners were practically offensively minded including Colorado and Tampa teams.

Got your wish today. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Got your wish today. 😎

Thanks. And not only hattrick against Columbus team was my wish.😊 Interesting that they placed OT winning goal with my proposed offensively minded trio line Kaprizov-Zuccarello-Addison. And Evason also tried the other proposed trios to bring more physicality during the OT. Definitely, they are reading our forum and take some ideas into our success.