Bert Bound for Beantown

yave1964

The Bertuzzi era in Motown is done, he has been shipped off to Boston for a pair of picks

Boston receives a solid player who will fit in nicely in the middle six on a line with Taylor Hall and Charlie Coyle.  He brings skill and most important, grit, he along with Hathaway and Orlov play a hard heavy intelligent game, they got the perfect player for the postseason with the Wings retaining half the salary.

The Wings get a first in 2024 and a 2025 4th.  Nice add in a first for a player who has been injured literally for years missing 20 games or more nearly every year. 

Boston made this work within cap constraints by placing Taylor Hall on LTIR with something that will undoubtedly be deemed cured and all better right before the postseason as he bathes in the river in Lourdes and receives a miracle cure from capitis, same place Kucherov went a few years ago it worked wonders on him.

I cannot lie, i have never been a big fan of Bertuzzi, i always felt there was more to be got out of him and feel that in spite of a rep as a hard working player he doesnt always bring his A game. Perhaps being traded to a legit cup contender, even the cup favorite with up his game to where he is worth the cost of a first and a fourth.

2 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

The Bertuzzi era in Motown is done, he has been shipped off to Boston for a pair of picks

Boston receives a solid player who will fit in nicely in the middle six on a line with Taylor Hall and Charlie Coyle.  He brings skill and most important, grit, he along with Hathaway and Orlov play a hard heavy intelligent game, they got the perfect player for the postseason with the Wings retaining half the salary.

The Wings get a first in 2024 and a 2025 4th.  Nice add in a first for a player who has been injured literally for years missing 20 games or more nearly every year. 

Boston made this work within cap constraints by placing Taylor Hall on LTIR with something that will undoubtedly be deemed cured and all better right before the postseason as he bathes in the river in Lourdes and receives a miracle cure from capitis, same place Kucherov went a few years ago it worked wonders on him.

I cannot lie, i have never been a big fan of Bertuzzi, i always felt there was more to be got out of him and feel that in spite of a rep as a hard working player he doesnt always bring his A game. Perhaps being traded to a legit cup contender, even the cup favorite with up his game to where he is worth the cost of a first and a fourth.

I'm losing track of how many east teams just loaded up. Boston(Bertuzzi, Orlov), NYR(Kane,  Tarasenko), Toronto(O'reilly, schenn, Gustavsson), NJD(meier), Carolina (Ghost) Even Ottawa made a move grabbing Chychrun. By comparison the west will be meeker lol.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

I'm losing track of how many east teams just loaded up. Boston(Bertuzzi, Orlov), NYR(Kane,  Tarasenko), Toronto(O'reilly, schenn, Gustavsson), NJD(meier), Carolina (Ghost) Even Ottawa made a move grabbing Chychrun. By comparison the west will be meeker lol.

Man the East is simply impossible right now. Pittsburgh added Granlund late last night, again a West player coming East. Tampa added Jeannot and moved Namesnikov out to free salary for another get.Meanwhile in the West Colorado is tweaking with guys like Eller and the Knights are making small moves as well, the Wild added a pair of very ordinary third line wingers the West are like the Washington Generals to the Easts Harlem Globetrotters, lol

@yave1964

I don’t think this is bad for Detroit, although it DOES affirm that Stevie is still thinking 5-7 years out.

It is unlikely to come into play, but still notable that that 2024 1st is top-10 protected. With Boston where they are, if Bergeron retires (especially if they win the Cup this year), we could see a breakdown and rebuild, but otherwise, I don’t see this as a factor. 

I would have liked our trades to have given us a significantly higher chance at Bedard. Alas, the only possible help we get is if the Isles juuuust miss the playoffs, which is now less likely with their recent adds to gear up for a run.

Bert’s play wasn’t his downfall. His tendency for injury was. He’s the kind of player built to help a playoff run, but our realistic potential for one of those MIGHT have happened at the very end of his deal…IF he remained healthy, which history shows cannot be counted upon.

Those who might say it is because of the vaccination issue don’t realize that Bert might actually be the smartest player in the league. The more we learn post-pandemic, the smarter he looks. Canada was the problem, not Bert.

We will miss him, although I’m hoping Mazur might be a player who could fill his role in the near future. But again, the long-term contract for Larkin and the moving of Bert and especially Hronek tell you that Stevie has a long view on when we might be Cup contenders again. We need one or two more of these prospects to work out and develop into elite core players that he can then build around to start another Cup-contending era. That takes time. We’re looking at at least 5 years, but it’s still the right decision. The chances of getting there with Bert still here and playing are less than they will be now, and Yzerman is laser-focused on that. Everything he does points to that.

As an aside, I’ll be pulling for the Bruins now that Bert is in the mix, despite Marchand. They have just played so well and unlike great regular-season performers like the Wings off the past and TBL before their Cups, they are built for playoff hockey as well, and Bert just adds to that. A great add for Boston indeed. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Not a fan of Sweeney giving away first round picks, but come playoff time bert could be a difference maker....

Agree on both counts.

It must be awesome to have an organization that is trying, though.

• Like 2