Minnesota Wild @ Pittsburgh Penguins, Thursday 4-6-23, 6:00pm, PPG Paints Arena

MNSOTA

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

What is it with starting Fleury against his old clubs??
Vegas and now Pittsburgh.

One would think, Fleury has been around long enough, has enough of a scouting report, and his former clubs have seen him enough in the past and are familiar enough with his tendencies, that a coach would NOT want him facing Vegas or Pittsburgh.

But maybe that's just me.

I've always wondered about that.

REFEREES

Kevin Pollock #33
KP33.jpg?resize=120%2C120
Eric Furlatt #27
EF27.jpg?resize=120%2C120
Last Game    
Games ’22-23 66 67
Games ’21-22 (Reg/PO) 73 / 11 72 / 13
Career Games (Reg/PO) 1554 / 216 1395 / 152
First NHL Game 3/28/00 10/8/01
Birthplace Kincardine, ON Trois-Rivieres, QC
Goals/Gm 6.0 (35) 6.5 (8)
PP/Gm 2.6 (41) 2.9 (19)
Penl/Gm 3.4 (37) 3.8 (15)
PIM/Gm 8.2 (37) 9.1 (16)
% of Penl on Home 49.0% (10) 49.0% (10)
More Penl on Rd % 2.0% (34) 6.0% (27)
Home Win % 58.0% (10) 46.0% (39)
Home Rec. 42-31 33-39
OT/SO Games 26.0% (12) 25.0% (15)
Calls by Period 1st 2nd 3rd 1st 2nd 3rd
2021-22 32% 39% 29% 29% 40% 31%
Team Records 21-22 20-21 19-20 21-22 20-21 19-20
MIN 3-2 0-0 0-1 2-2 0-0 0-1
PIT 1-4 0-0 3-2 2-2 0-0 2-0

LINESMEN

Andrew Smith #51
AS51.jpg?resize=120%2C120
Derek Nansen #70
DN70.jpg?resize=120%2C120
Games ’22-23 69 70
Games ’21-22 (Reg/PO) 66 / 15 76 / 4
Career Games (Reg/PO) 405 / 29 1321 / 65
First NHL Game 10/4/17 10/11/02
Birthplace Kitchener, ON Ottawa, ON

Edited by bbgarnett

3 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Maybe we'll get our legs back for the 2nd.
I looked up our results after having 2 or more days off between games and surprisingly we're 8-8.

Look up Fleury's record, GAA, and Sv% against Vegas and Pittsburgh.
I'd be surprised if they were good.

Another club I've seen he's fared pretty badly against, is Philadelphia, as he was there in the more recent rivalries between Pitts and Philly, and games I saw, Philly blew him up.

• Uggh... 2

1 minute ago, wildstars95 said:

B.G & Evason would be nut's starting fleury  the  first game of playoff's Baby Boomers Internet GIF

At this point, I'd say Gustavsson is definitely the "better" of the two goalies.

Fleury obviously has the Cup and the experience, but its not like Gustavsson is some raw rookie. He is so poised and calm out there, even when getting shelled, that one would THINK Gus has been through the playoff rodeo many times.

The argument for Talbot by some fans last season was that Talbot had the better numbers and he should have been the go-to starter, but, IMO, the big, big difference between Talbot having the better numbers last year and Gustavsson's showings this year is, Talbot has ALWAYS been a gamble. Despite his numbers, you really never knew which Cam was gonna show up, and his track record overall was that his good run towards the end of last season was the exception NOT the norm.

Gustavsson, meanwhile, all season, has shown he has what it takes...big games, small game, against a contender, against a bottom feeder....it doesn't matter. He treats it all like business, and even his time in Ottawa showed he can still be pretty good even with a crap defense like the Sens played in front of him.

So, I am inclined to believe Gus is a better bet, even though he is more 'unknown' than Talbot, to be put ahead of Fleury for the start of any playoff series.

• Like 1

I just don't like all the "Fleury has the cup cred" thing.

That was then, this is now. 

Also keep in mind Matt Murray was part of one of those cup runs.

Edited by Tomdog
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

4 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

I just don't like all the "Fleury has the cup cred" thing.

That was then, this is now. 

Also keep in mind Matt Murray was part of one of those cup runs.

Normally, the whole "Cup Cred" thing DOES have a bearing, and for good reason.
But, at this stage of his career, it IS fair to question that about Fleury, so agree at this point in time....which is why I said I'd put Gus ahead of Fleury for the start of any playoff series.

Last season though, a decision had to be made to go with the guy with "The Cup Cred", or the guy who had the very good numbers down the stretch, BUT, who has been known to just completely implode at the most inopportune times... Wild went with the "Cup Cred" given the situation.
In hindsight, it was NOT the absolute best decision, but then again, would it really have mattered if Talbot had started last season's playoff set? 
We won't ever know, obviously, but thankfully, things, at least the way I see it, are more clear cut n dry THIS season.

Gustavsson has shown a consistency, even for being an unknown quantity, that Talbot could only dream of.
And that sort of play HAS to rate him higher against Fleury's "Cup Cred", than Talbot's good streak to end the season.