NHL 2022-23 Stanley Cup Finals - Vegas (P1) vs. Florida (WC) (Vegas wins Stanley Cup 4-1)

pilldoc

NHL 2022-23 Stanley Cup Finals - Vegas (P1) vs. Florida (WC)   

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the Stanley Cup?

• Knights sweep in 4
    • Knights in 5
    • Knights in 6
    • Knights in 7
    • Panthers sweep in 4
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• pilldoc changed the title to NHL 2022-23 Stanley Cup Finals - Vegas (P1) vs. Florida (WC) (Vegas leads series 3-1)

If Vegas hadn't played a bit lousy and had a better game management at the end of game #3, the Knights would have already been in celebration mode. With Tkachuk clearly injured, the step might be too high for the Panthers this time and it's heading towards a gentleman's sweep.

Tkachuk status unclear for Panthers in Game 5 of Stanley Cup Final

Forward among those to not participate in optional practice; season on line against Golden Knights

https://www.nhl.com/news/matthew-tkachuk-status-unclear-for-florida-panthers-in-game-5-of-stanley-cup-final/c-344840336?tid=344544256

LAS VEGAS -- Matthew Tkachuk's status remains unclear for the Florida Panthers for Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final against the Vegas Golden Knights at T-Mobile Arena on Tuesday (8 p.m. ET; TNT, truTV, CBC, SN, TVAS) after the forward did not practice Monday.

Forwards Nick Cousins and Eetu Luostarinen, and defensemen Brandon Montour and Radko Gudas, also did not participate in an optional practice.

"The update will be tomorrow," Florida coach Paul Maurice said. "We've been at an optional point for the last two months in terms of skating (on) off days, but you'll get all that big information tomorrow night. "Trailing 3-1 and facing elimination in the best-of-7 series, Florida would certainly miss Tkachuk if he can't play. He is tied with Vegas forward Jonathan Marchessault and Dallas Stars forward Roope Hintz for the NHL lead with 24 points (11 goals, 13 assists) in 20 games in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

But Tkachuk was limited to four shifts in the third period, sitting for a stretch of 10:41 at one point, because of an unspecified injury in a 3-2 loss in Game 4 on Saturday. Tkachuk also missed time in in the first period and start of the second period of Game 3 while being evaluated for a possible concussion following a hit from Golden Knights forward Keegan Kolesar, but he returned and scored the game-tying goal at 17:47 of the third in a 3-2 overtime victory.

Montour (Game 3) and Gudas (Game 2) also missed stretches of play after suffering apparent injuries but have yet to miss a game. Luostarinen has not played since blocking a shot off his leg in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference Final against the Carolina Hurricanes and has not skated with the Panthers since before Game 1 of the Cup Final.

"We've played all season long with guys in and out of our lineup," Florida forward Eric Staal said. "All year, we won some key games at key times with important pieces out of our lineup, so however we look tomorrow, I know we'll have confidence in who we are and the guys that are out there. So, we're excited for a good rest tonight and being ready for Game 5."

On the bright side for the Panthers, forward Anthony Duclair practiced Monday and said he will play in Game 5 after he missed the first 8:14 of the third period of Game 4 with an undisclosed ailment.

"I'm excited for tomorrow," Duclair said. "I'm just looking forward to playing the biggest game of our season. It's obviously a big opportunity for us. Just like every other series, we're not playing the series, we're playing the game and, for us, we're just looking to get a road win."

It was notable that rookie forward Grigori Denisenko traveled here for Game 5 and practiced Monday after skating with Florida's extra players for much of the playoffs. The 22-year-old, who had three assists in 18 regular-season games, has yet to play an NHL playoff game.

Regardless, the Panthers believe they can extend the series even if all of their regular players aren't available Tuesday, or if some of them are playing through injuries.

"We've been short-handed a lot this year with big guys being out of the lineup," center Sam Bennett said. "It's just an opportunity for other guys to step and take a bigger role, be more of an impact. So, we have a bunch of guys that are ready to step up and fill roles, so that shouldn't be an issue."

Maurice noted the Panthers played games this season without Bennett and forwards Aleksander Barkovand Anton Lundell, among others, because of injuries and illness. Florida played most of Game 3 of the conference final without Barkov because of an undisclosed injury but still won 1-0.

So, if the Panthers need to play with a makeshift lineup Tuesday, they'll be ready. But Maurice wasn't willing to say Monday that will be the case.

"You've had your people out of the lineup and important people out of the lineup and you've found way to ways to be successful," Maurice said. "So, you have that belief. If none of that's happened to you all year, the first time an important guy comes out of the lineup, it's a big deal.

"But being that everybody is playing tomorrow, as of today, we don't have to worry about that."

Edited by NHL HHOF

Breaking down how Golden Knights can close out Panthers, win Cup Final

Housley says Vegas must remain focused, continue special teams success in Game 5

https://www.nhl.com/news/coaches-room-keys-to-game-5-of-stanley-cup-final/c-344839496?tid=344544256

The Coaches Room is a regular feature throughout the 2023 Stanley Cup Playoffs by former NHL coaches and assistants who turn their critical gaze to the game and explain it through the lens of a teacher. Phil Housley and Mark Recchi will take turns providing insight.

In this edition, Housley, a Hall of Fame defenseman who coached the Buffalo Sabres and was an assistant with the Nashville Predators and Arizona Coyotes, looks at how the Vegas Golden Knights and Florida Panthers will approach Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas on Tuesday (8 p.m. ET; TNT, truTV, SN, CBC, TVAS).

There will be a lot of excitement for the Vegas Golden Knights heading into Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final against the Florida Panthers on Tuesday with a 3-1 lead in the best-of-7 series and having the opportunity to win the Stanley Cup on home ice.

Obviously, it's just human nature to think about holding the Stanley Cup. The old cliché is the fourth game is the hardest one to win. I think the Golden Knights are going to be preaching, "Just stay in the moment."

I'm sure their families and significant other people will be there because of the situation they're in with a chance to win the Stanley Cup. But I really like what I've read about what their players are saying.

They've been very focused. Sure, there are responsibilities to your families and stuff, but when the time has come to play the game, they're geared up, they're ready to go and they really have their eye on the prize.

The Panthers have been in this position before. I'm sure they're going to reflect on their first-round series against the Boston Bruins when they came back from a 3-1 deficit and won in seven games. It's going to be important they get off to a good start.

I really liked the way the Panthers played in their 3-2 overtime victory in Game 3. I think they're going to have to win a 2-1, 3-2 game because that's sort of their mantra of playing tight defensively.

Some of Florida's key players such as forwards Matthew Tkachuk and Anthony Duclair and defenseman Brandon Montour are banged up, which these two days off before Game 5 will help. But when you have your high-impact players hurt and they can't play their game, it significantly alters the way they're playing.

The Panthers need to keep it simple, get pucks out and get pucks in, and they need to forecheck. In Game 3, Florida did a really good job of winning races to loose pucks and creating a scrum or battle, which can lead to offensive zone time.

Otherwise, the Panthers haven't been able to spend a significant amount of time in the offensive zone. A way you can do that is to keep it simple. Put pucks in places where you can get speed to the puck and create some zone time and make Vegas defend.

The Golden Knights have some really good defensemen, but I don't think the Panthers have done enough to make Vegas defend more and, because of that, they're spending a lot of time in their own end.

Vegas' defense also has made it difficult for Florida to get to the net and get shots on goalie Adin Hill, blocking 97 shot attempts through the first four games, including 31 in Game 3 and 30 more in Game 4.

I'm sure the Golden Knights are going to preach short shifts. Let's get the momentum, let's try to attack and use the depth of our team.

It's a huge advantage when you can just not worry about matchups, and I think that was evident in the Golden Knights' 3-2 win in Game 4. They just played their game and rolled their four lines.

With their forward depth, they are able to stay fresh. You might not see it in the first period, but eventually their depth takes over the game. The other team just gets worn down.

Edited by NHL HHOF