Bedard signs ELC

Bedard signs with Blackhawks, No. 1 pick of 2023 NHL Draft

Forward, who turned 18 on Monday, has earned comparisons to Crosby, McDavid

NHL.com @NHLdotcom
 10:10 AM
  •  
cut.jpg

Connor Bedard, the No. 1 pick of the 2023 NHL Draft, celebrated his 18th birthday Monday by signing his first NHL contract, a three-year, entry-level deal with the Chicago Blackhawks.

"Being drafted by an Original Six team has been such a surreal experience and I couldn't be more thrilled to be a part of this team's future," Bedard said. "The Blackhawks organization and the city of Chicago have such a rich sports history and I'm honored to be a part of it."

Bedard has been compared to previous No. 1 picks Sidney Crosby of the Pittsburgh Penguins (2005) and Connor McDavid of the Edmonton Oilers (2015), and is Chicago's first No. 1 pick since three-time Stanley Cup champion Patrick Kane at the 2007 NHL Draft.

"Obviously it's a huge honor to have my name in the same sentence as those guys with anything, but I'm Connor Bedard, I'm not someone else," he said during the Blackhawks development camp earlier this month. "So I'm trying to create my own path and be the best player I can be and not try to compare myself to other guys."

Bedard led the Western Hockey League in goals (71) and points (143) and was tied for first in assists (72) in 57 games with Regina. He also helped Canada win the gold medal at the 2023 IIHF World Junior Championship with a tournament-best 23 points (nine goals, 14 assists) in seven games, the most ever by a Canada player at the tournament and the fourth-most by any player.

He also was voted Canadian Hockey League Player of the Year, and won the E.J. McGuire Award of Excellence, presented by NHL Central Scouting to the draft prospect who best exemplifies commitment to excellence through strength of character, competitiveness and athleticism.

"Signing Connor is a huge step in building a new foundation for our organization," Blackhawks general manager Kyle Davidson said. "We're excited to see him grow and play a large role in pushing our team forward for many years to come."

Bedard could be the No. 1 center for this season for the Blackhawks (26-49-7), who were last in the Central Division last season and missed the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the third straight season.

"Everybody knows who he is and sees him and he's going to have the No. 1 (defense) pairing against him," Blackhawks coach Luke Richardson said. "But a guy who has the drive like he does, I think that's going to push him to be even better.

"(He's) not really afraid of what he's going to go up against but definitely there are going to be adjustments for him. The coaching staff will do everything we can to prepare him for that, but internal conversations with players and peers who have that experience, like Nick (Foligno) and Taylor (Hall) and Corey (Perry), will go a long way."

Bedard's first game could against Crosby when the Blackhawks open the season at the Penguins on Oct. 10.

The Blackhawks don't expect Bedard to be overwhelmed by the moment.

"He's a very humble kid and he's played in pressure situations," Chicago director of amateur scouting Mike Doneghey said at the draft. "He's won two gold medals in the World Juniors. He's won awards. He's very good at silencing the outside noise and he just goes about his business.

"At every level he's played at, he's been able to exceed expectations. He's got to get acclimated to playing with men, and Kyle and (associate GM) Norm (Maciver) and (associate GM) Jeff (Greenberg) will get those players around him. Once he gets acclimated, he'll just continue to grow."

• Good Post 1

But the thrill must be over in ChiTown. 😕 The official Bedard contract signing article only made page 3 of the Tribune sports section today.  🥱 

Page 1 was all  ⚾️ oh but of course I 🐐 

• 4 months later...

I don't find it funny at all. It's just a cruel and vicious rumour that people can sling around with absolutely no consequence in their lives.  It's yet another example, of the many, that social media is the lead paint of our generation.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

Rumours presented without evidence should be dismissed without evidence, and withholding judgement in this matter is sort of equivalent to when news channels give 50/50 time to climate scientists and climate change deniers, as if they have any sort of equal footing. It's sort of galling to me that people will uncritically accept (and even spread) these rumours but all of a sudden become a doubting Thomas when those involved deny those rumours.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 3

Shutting this down .....   There will be no more discussing what Perry may or may not have done.  None of it will every be made public.  Pure speculation what was suggested does not belong on this hockey board.   In addition it goes against Forum Guidelines:

13) Libel: Any posts libeling players, prospects, or hockey personnel: It's not acceptable to post that you heard Player X has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

Any more posts in threads or the chat box regarding what he (meaning Perry may have done) will be hidden / deleted.  This is not open for debate.

Thanks,

~doc

Edited by pilldoc