Capitals preview. Can they bounce back?

yave1964

On 10/6/2023 at 7:13 AM, Podein25 said:

But people have forgotten about Miroshnichenko. He fell to 22 because of the Hodgkins and then basically lost a year, but he is a high end talent. He was a consensus #1 or # 2 prospect prior to getting sick.

They’ve decided to let him out of south central Pennsylvania…at least for a while. Hope he acclimates to the Potomac Swamp country!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/12/19/ivan-miroshnichenko-capitals-nhl-debut/

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

They’ve decided to let him out of south central Pennsylvania…at least for a while. Hope he acclimates to the Potomac Swamp country!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/12/19/ivan-miroshnichenko-capitals-nhl-debut/

Lo, nice! Thanks for this.

They’ve paired him with Kuznetsov since his English still isn’t so great, and Kuzy is apparently sufficient in English (and Russian of course.)

But what I am hoping is that this line pairing acts also as a “reverse improvement” too.  I.e., let’s hope Miroshnichenko displays a good work ethic that rubs off on Kuznetsov!  😆 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

They’ve paired him with Kuznetsov since his English still isn’t so great, and Kuzy is apparently sufficient in English (and Russian of course.)

But what I am hoping is that this line pairing acts also as a “reverse improvement” too.  I.e., let’s hope Miroshnichenko displays a good work ethic that rubs off on Kuznetsov!  😆 

Did you watch the game? Looked like he had limited minutes, a few shots, a few hits, even. 

10 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Looked like he had limited minutes

10:14 last night and 9:46 tonight.  I only saw chunks of the 3rd periods and without sound, so I don’t have a good grasp on how involved he got in play.  I need to watch extended highlights with sound.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SaucyJack said:

10:14 last night and 9:46 tonight.  I only saw chunks of the 3rd periods and without sound, so I don’t have a good grasp on how involved he got in play.  I need to watch extended highlights with sound.

I was there!! First time watching Ovie in person. He set Mantha up on his first goal, then took his sweet time with the winner. Lazy, he hung around the blueline but when he needed to bang he did. Jensen looked really, really good, his confidence is through the roof. Nobody got a good shot past him all night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

set Mantha up on his first goal

If WaPo reader comments had more weight than coaches’ decisions, Anthony Mantha would have been playing in Hershey this season.  So many had nothing but bad to say about him.  

Now look: Mantha is 6th in points, 3rd in goals, and 1st in +/- on the squad.

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Lazy, he hung around the blueline but when he needed to bang he did.

Someone out there must coin a nickname that captures this style of play.  Hmmm…”Crazy 8” been around forever, including as a kid’s card game.

”Lazy Eight”.  (Yeah, that’s the ticket.)

• Like 2

On 12/24/2023 at 9:08 AM, SaucyJack said:

the Capitals put coal in Miroshnichenko’s stocking..along with a ride back to Hershey PA.

Didn’t see last night’s loss at MSG, but read that Santa took the coal back:  Miro played 12:52, had one great chance stymied, and briefly played an all-Russkie shift late with Kuzy and Ovie.

• Like 1