Capitals preview. Can they bounce back?

yave1964

FINAL RECORD 35-37-10 80 points, 12th in conference, 12 points out of a playoff spot

ADDITIONS  Max Pacioretty  will spend much of his time on IR for the Capitals this season. He is the only addition. Oh I guess boring third pair defender Edmonson coming over from Montreal might count

SUBTRACTIONS  Depth forwards Sheary, Craig Smith and Connor Brown all left, depth defenders Irwin and Pilon as well. At the deadline they dealt key players Hathaway, Orlov and Eller.

IN THE SYSTEM Connor McMichael and Beck Malynstyn are nhl depth forwards, Alexander Alexyev will be handed a third pair spot on the blueline with no evidence that he is much of a player.

IMHO this is the worst farm system in the game today which bodes poorly for an aging Capitals team.

THE QUESTION, ARE THEY A BOUNCE BACK CANDIDATE?  no, not much of a chance. They are an aging club with very few NHL ready depth players and no impact players in the organization. Ovie is in the middle of his drive towards breaking the all time goal record held by Gretzky, At least the Cap fans have that to watch nightly. Backstrom is getting old and fragile. Mantha is doing the same even moreso. Tom Wilson just missed 49 games and is on the wrong side of 30 so they signed him to an extention thru 2031, because of course they did. They fired a coach who always gets the most out of their players Kuznetsov asked for a trade then angrilly denied that he did and then said well, i sorta asked for a trade. Oshie is a shell of his former self because of his hard style of play. Carlson is 33 and breaking down. Kuemper at 33 in the first year of a five year deal actually was surprisingly good but is aging, Lindgren his backup came out of nowhere to play very well last year but is no kid, it took until he was 29 to establish himself as a fringe backup goalie.

Things could break right, all of these guys could stay healthy and rediscover the touch that they once had but it is son extremely unlikely. I have them with around 82 points, 7th in the Division.

Edited by yave1964
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Things could break right, all of these guys could stay healthy and rediscover the touch that they once had but it is son extremely unlikely. I have them with around 82 points, 7th in the Division.

Good post all around.   I agree; they have jumped the shark.  

Or, Oni prygnuli na akulu.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, yave1964 said:

FINAL RECORD 35-37-10 80 points, 12th in conference, 12 points out of a playoff spot

ADDITIONS  Max Pacioretty  will spend much of his time on IR for the Capitals this season. He is the only addition. Oh I guess boring third pair defender Edmonson coming over from Montreal might count

SUBTRACTIONS  Depth forwards Sheary, Craig Smith and Connor Brown all left, depth defenders Irwin and Pilon as well. At the deadline they dealt key players Hathaway, Orlov and Eller.

IN THE SYSTEM Connor McMichael and Beck Malynstyn are nhl depth forwards, Alexander Alexyev will be handed a third pair spot on the blueline with no evidence that he is much of a player.

IMHO this is the worst farm system in the game today which bodes poorly for an aging Capitals team.

THE QUESTION, ARE THEY A BOUNCE BACK CANDIDATE?  no, not much of a chance. They are an aging club with very few NHL ready depth players and no impact players in the organization. Ovie is in the middle of his drive towards breaking the all time goal record held by Gretzky, At least the Cap fans have that to watch nightly. Backstrom is getting old and fragile. Mantha is doing the same even moreso. Tom Wilson just missed 49 games and is on the wrong side of 30 so they signed him to an extention thru 2031, because of course they did. They fired a coach who always gets the most out of their players Kuznetsov asked for a trade then angrilly denied that he did and then said well, i sorta asked for a trade. Oshie is a shell of his former self because of his hard style of play. Carlson is 33 and breaking down. Kuemper at 33 in the first year of a five year deal actually was surprisingly good but is aging, Lindgren his backup came out of nowhere to play very well last year but is no kid, it took until he was 29 to establish himself as a fringe backup goalie.

Its actually very rare for forwards to still be superstar players after age 35.

Usually, someone cerebral with sense and vision can extend it a bit longer, but if they relied on skating, reflexes, physicality and shot, you see a drop earlier.

That team is ooooold and some of the guys have a lot of miles on their bodies.

2 hours ago, radoran said:

They're going to ride that 2018 Cup and OV chasing 99 into the ground.

Agree ...Caps should be rebuilding right now, and are instead making bad decisions based around getting Ovie his record...

Come 24-25 Caps willl have OV a freak at 38..but Oshie at 37, Backstrom at 36, Kuz at 32 and Wilson at 30 making near 39 mill.

When the Caps get into Cap hell (pun not intended) .... they are going to crash hard.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Agree ...Caps should be rebuilding right now, and are instead making bad decisions based around getting Ovie his record...

Come 24-25 Caps willl have OV a freak at 38..but Oshie at 37, Backstrom at 36, Kuz at 32 and Wilson at 30 making near 39 mill.

When the Caps get into Cap hell (pun not intended) .... they are going to crash hard.....

It's like a fan base obsessed with the achievements of a team from the early 1970s...

No, not the Steelers.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, radoran said:

It's like a fan base obsessed with the achievements of a team from the early 1970s...

No, not the Steelers.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Hey why do you gotta pick on my big Red Machine lol

• Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 6:02 PM, radoran said:

They're going to ride that 2018 Cup and OV chasing 99 into the ground.

It’s what we do!  Our post-season successes are mild and rare.

Reminds me of a Caps postgame commentary from some game last year by on-ice reporter Al Koken.  (He used to be Caps’ color commentator in late 80’s & early 90’s, a rarity since he never played; just a sportswriter by background.)

He and the studio hosts got to a point where reminiscence of past glory seemed appropriate.  Not to beat a dead horse, he avoided 2018 and referred back to events of 1990 (loss to Bruins in East Final) and 1998 (loss to Wings in Cup final) instead!  Mentioned a few of those players.

I’m sure 3/4 of the viewers were all ‘wot the fork this guy talkin’ ‘bout ?!’  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

WaPo article today on Nick Backstrom, claiming he is 100% healed from his hip injury.

Of more interest to me were user comments.  They are typically much more optimistic than the average hockey observer on Capitals chances for success.  But today, comments were dour and pessimistic…

…Backstrom’s deft hands are still bound by slow skating and where are the younger faster guys to make up for it?

…nobody thinks Kuznetsov or Mantha will provide fire, just smoke.  (Caps need to trade Kuzy, get something in return for the talented underachiever)

…skepticism on signing another 30-something (Max Pacioretty) and his Achilles history

A splash of water in the ol’ face for Washington fans more fully realizing the state of Caps Affairs, awakened by supposedly positive Backstrom news.  LO Freakin’ L !!

Lots of beer sales this year to enjoy and get through an outing.

The only fun news from today’s article:  new coach Spencer Carbery could well become known better as “Coach Cranberry”.  

Is there a special prize for earliest injury across the league?

Caps amongst the most injury-prone last year.  They’re using that learned experience well.  New D-Man Joel Edmunson out for maybe 6 weeks with a hand fracture suffered 1st week of training.

What, my Idiots are slashing each other across the wrists in practice sessions already?  Dudes, you’re on the SAME TEAM…

• Like 2

On 10/2/2023 at 8:30 PM, Corky said:

Tuesday night 7:00, Caps vs. Bruins, “M”  monumental tv

I never watch pre-season games.  Any sport.  They juss be practicin’.  

You did remind me whether I get this new Monumental TV network.  Happy to learn I do.  New name for the old NBC Sports Washington, basically.  

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 10:24 AM, Brewin Flames said:

Caps are getting old, and not much depth in the system

This is true, not a lot of high end talent in the pipeline. 

But people have forgotten about Miroshnichenko. He fell to 22 because of the Hodgkins and then basically lost a year, but he is a high end talent. He was a consensus #1 or # 2 prospect prior to getting sick. Playing great in pre season apparently.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Podein25 said:

But people have forgotten about Miroshnichenko…Playing great in pre season apparently.

Have the name right?  WaPo article on the Caps-Jackets matchup highlighted Beck Malenstyn’s good camp and gameplay, that likely secures him one of the 12 forward spots.

But I don’t follow the pre-season details.  (I’ll see whoever play regular season if they make the cut.)   That said, no mention of him in that article, or in user comments.

36 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

Have the name right?  

Yup. This guy, he's Ovechkin like in all kinds of ways, including a wicked shot. All world skills. Like I said, he dropped to 20th because he had Hodgkins lymphoma (plus the Russian factor). He was being talked about as a #1 overall in 2019:

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/526255/ivan-miroshnichenko

• Like 1

On 10/6/2023 at 12:18 PM, Podein25 said:

Yup. This guy, he's Ovechkin like in all kinds of ways, including a wicked shot. All world skills.

Per the Caps Fan site below, I learn that    Miroshnichenko didn’t play either preseason match against Columbus, so wasn’t mentioned in the WaPo beat article I referred to earlier.

The one below confirms he did well on his earlier preseason chances.  We’ll know by late afternoon Monday if he starts in Washington or Hershey. 

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2023/10/08/ivan-miroshnichenko-decision-time-washington-capitals-hershey-bears/

• Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 6:05 PM, SaucyJack said:

The one below confirms he did well on his earlier preseason chances.  We’ll know by late afternoon Monday if he starts in Washington or Hershey. 

Per the team’s announcement of the Friday night opener roster, Miroshnichenko is Hershey-bound.  

For now.  

And one of the roster forwards will be a healthy scratch.  We’ll see if two forwards disappoint (say, Mantha for starters) resulting in a call-up.

• Like 1

Only one game played, a 4-0 home loss with few shots or chances.  So, I think we already know the answer to the thread question:

umm…no, dude.

Welcome to NHL head coaching, Mr Cranberry.  

Edited by SaucyJack