Bruins preview- What comes after the Boston Masacre

yave1964

PREVIOUS SEASON 65-12-5 135 Points, breaking the record for best single season regular season points in a season. Then lost in seven games to the Panthers.

ADDITIONS JVR came over from the Flyers. Lucic makes a return for the 4th line. Shattenkirk joins as a puck mover. Morgan Geekie joins the 4th line from Seattle.

SUBTRACTIONS Bergeron and Krejci retired. Taylor Hall was traded to the Hawks. Clifton left to ply his trade in Buffalo. Orlov left for Carolina, Bertuzzi left for Toronto. Hathaway moved on to the Flyers. Foligno left also for Chicago. Mike Reilly left for Florida. In all, 9 of their 18 starting skaters have left for elsewhere.

KIDS AND ROOKIES Here is a problem to be sure, the Bruins have little in the pipeline and even less that is anywhere near NHL ready. Fabian Lysell may stick on the wing replacing Taylor Hall, dynamic prospect. Jakub Lauko may be a 4th line center if the breaks come his way but is a dime a dozen player. Nobody else will stick this year. 

SO AFTER AN EMBARRASING FIRST ROUND DEFEAT IN A SERIES IN WHICH THEY LED 3 GAMES TO 1 AND HAD GAME 5 ON mARCHANDS STICK ON A BREAKAWAY BEFORE CHOKING AWAY THE SERIES TO THE pANTHERS, WHERE ARE THEY NOW?

My opinion is they have slipped below Toronto, Tampa, Florida, Ottawa and are right there with Detroit and Buffalo. I think they will (barely) take the 8 seed in the East as the fifth team in the Division in, a point or two above Pittsburgh. Once proud franchise on their way towards a serious decline.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Agree here.  Too much subtraction and not enough addition.   If folks somehow think Swayman/Ullmark will repeat their heroics of last year...then they better think again.  In fact, IMHO, they're very unlikely to repeat the historic year they just had, especially with the team losing key players.  Just look at Ullmark.  He had a very high abnormal EVSV% @ 0.944.... even his PKSV% was almost at  90% sitting at 0.899.   There is just no way he replicates that.  To expect a repeat of these numbers would be a mistake.

Even on offense their EVSH% was abnormally high at 9.68%.

Metrics tell the story here ..... last year the  Bruins generated about 33 shots per game (ranked 9th in the league) BUT they also allowed almost 30 shots per game.  Clearly they were a  weaker puck possession team than in years past.  It is no wonder then the Panthers upset the Bruins in the playoffs.

Everything went right for this team last year ..... I just don't see that reapeating.

@yave1964 ... I think this team regresses's significantly this year .....

• Like 2

Bingo @yave1964

Bingo @pilldoc

Too much gone, not enough coming in....

Lost two top centers, no depth in pipeline and to be quite honest, i'm looking at a trainwreck dumpster fire, non playoff team, esp now that Pasta got paid and his two binkies are gone, he's gonna be a lazy sack o Sh$t floater.

I hope i'm wrong but i'm looking forward to a high 1st round pick in 2024....wait, dammit Sweeney sent them all packing.

Still my team though....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Once proud franchise on their way towards a serious decline.

On the plus side the three long term guys they have are pretty good. Also that there are only three.

Definitely have taken a giant step back from a record breaking season but a savvy GM could soft landing out of this in a couple years. Or they could hire Chuck Fletcher to win now.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

On the plus side the three long term guys they have are pretty good. Also that there are only three.

Definitely have taken a giant step back from a record breaking season but a savvy GM could soft landing out of this in a couple years. Or they could hire Chuck Fletcher to win now.

Over the years DS has made some solid moves, but some head scratchers as well, his draft record is spotty and up for debate, and we don't have a first rounder til christ comes again.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Brewin Flames said:

Over the years DS has made some solid moves, but some head scratchers as well, his draft record is spotty and up for debate, and we don't have a first rounder til christ comes again.

Not saying he's the best guy for the job either.

I think y'all have one in 2025?

Just saying with cap space and roster flexibility, there's room to build around what they've already got.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

With his draft history your boys are probably better off without the draft picks lol. Nobody needs remind you of Zboril, DeBrusk and Senyshin instead of Barzal, Chabot and Kyle Connor. You cannot even call it hindsight, Bruins fans were screaming bloody murder at the draft. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Bingo @yave1964

Bingo @pilldoc

Too much gone, not enough coming in....

Lost two top centers, no depth in pipeline and to be quite honest, i'm looking at a trainwreck dumpster fire, non playoff team, esp now that Pasta got paid and his two binkies are gone, he's gonna be a lazy sack o Sh$t floater.

I hope i'm wrong but i'm looking forward to a high 1st round pick in 2024....wait, dammit Sweeney sent them all packing.

Still my team though....

Will they repeat? no of course not. But Zacha was ahead of Krejci on the charts and lines to end last season. He plays a 200 foot game and could be a good #2 Center who grows into a #1 Center....and his skills are FINALLY blossoming and him and Lawson Crouse were expected to be the slower developer power forwards of the 2015 Draft class, alongside Timo Meier. Debrusk started breaking out last year too

JVR/Zacha/Pasta

Marchand/Coyle/Debrusk

To me that isn't a bad top 6 at all. Losing Krejci almost doesn't matter because I felt Coyle was better anyways by this stage. Losing Bergeron was an enormous loss. No question.

Fabian Lysell.....man that kid can skate. He reminds me of Pavel Bure with that acceleration.

The 3rd and 4th line of the Bruins is where it gets sketchy. Lucic....lol

Did they get him hoping Bergeron would decide "Maybe 1 more year?"

28 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

With his draft history your boys are probably better off without the draft picks lol. Nobody needs remind you of Zboril, DeBrusk and Senyshin instead of Barzal, Chabot and Kyle Connor. You cannot even call it hindsight, Bruins fans were screaming bloody murder at the draft. 

Ill never forget the amount of WTF at boston Pizza during this draft.

My work buds and I were sinking drinks, and i was wanting Werensky bad. but then Columbus took him and we got Timo, which i was ok with

But when the bruins 3 picks came up, the one guy sitting at the bar in the Lucic jersey....everyone in the bar kept looking at him to see his reaction and we were all going "WTF? hahaha"

To be fair, Zboril was ranked higher than Chabot by most folks.

but Debrusk was slated as a later 1st by most rankings and Senyschin was ranked mid 2nd round and nobody knew WTF Sweeney was thinking. If they liked Senyschin that much they probably could have got him by trading up the brandon Carlo pick.

Barzal and Connor were both guys who often made it into top 10 rankings and usually were at latest, 15th. It was the deepest draft of ALL TIME for high end talent, so rankings were muddier than usual for the top 20. And yes, that draft is going to go down as the deepest of all time. I know 2003 is the gold standard because so many guys played 500+ games from 2003, but if you look at how many guys have already played 250+ games from the 2015 gang, its pretty solid. Some emerging superstars haven't even played 250 games or just passed that number this past season due to starting the NHL later. Roope hintz, Kaprisov, Troy Terry, Thomas Novak....damn that was a great draft year. Connor McDavid needs 30 or so more points and he would be the 5th highest scoring player from the 2003 draft.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I can't believe he survived that.

Good Zod.

:hocky:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...