panthers preview, real deal or lightning in a bottle?

yave1964

PREVIOUS SEASON 42-32-8 92 points 8th n conference made playoffs on seasons last day. Plus 17 goal differential. Upset the mighty Bruins in 7, defeated the Leafs, beat Carolina to get to Stanley Cup final, lost in finals to Vegas.

ADDITIONS Oliver Ekman Larsson came aboard after being paid millions and millions to go away by Vancouver. Evan Rodrigues comes aboard to help the middle six. Veteran Stolarz comes on to provide stability to a goalie room which is often a mess. Lorentz comes on as a 4th liner. Nikko Mikkola and Mike Reilly are veterans to stabilize the back end.

SUBTRACTIONS Eric Staal likely to retire. Hornqvist already did. Duclair traded for cap space. Gudas tok the money from anaheim and ran. Marc Staal left for the Flyers. Alex Lyon had the best month of his life and turned it into a deal with Detroit. 

TOP PROSPECTS It is make or break for Denisenko and Heponiemi two prospects that much has been expected and little if any has been delivered.  Mackie Samoskevich is a real prospect but likely a year away with this being his first season in the AHL but he is one to watch. Not a ton here, very little help in the immediate future.

SO ARE THEY REAL CUP CONTENDERS? My feeling is they are better than they appeared for much of the regular season, not as good or as deep as they were in the playoffs. Tkachuk was a one man wrecking crew, leading the team in goals, assists and penalty minutes with an insane 74 in the postseason. 

My heart and my head are in the same place, a better regular season, approaching 100 points is probable and even likely, followed by a disappointing first round bow out. Keep an eye on Brandon Montour who had a monster breakout season and is an UFA at years end. This team is aggressive when it comes to moving potential free agents, signing him to an eight year deal might be difficult especially after Sandersons obscene deal  in Ottawa. If they cannt sign him they may move him during the season for a veteran top six scoring forward.

I believe that last seasons run was a bit fluky but they are built well and should be a regular playoff team provided Bob does not completely flake out. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

PREVIOUS SEASON 42-32-8 92 points 8th n conference made playoffs on seasons last day. Plus 17 goal differential. Upset the mighty Bruins in 7, defeated the Leafs, beat Carolina to get to Stanley Cup final, lost in finals to Vegas.

ADDITIONS Oliver Ekman Larsson came aboard after being paid millions and millions to go away by Vancouver. Evan Rodrigues comes aboard to help the middle six. Veteran Stolarz comes on to provide stability to a goalie room which is often a mess. Lorentz comes on as a 4th liner. Nikko Mikkola and Mike Reilly are veterans to stabilize the back end.

SUBTRACTIONS Eric Staal likely to retire. Hornqvist already did. Duclair traded for cap space. Gudas tok the money from anaheim and ran. Marc Staal left for the Flyers. Alex Lyon had the best month of his life and turned it into a deal with Detroit. 

TOP PROSPECTS It is make or break for Denisenko and Heponiemi two prospects that much has been expected and little if any has been delivered.  Mackie Samoskevich is a real prospect but likely a year away with this being his first season in the AHL but he is one to watch. Not a ton here, very little help in the immediate future.

SO ARE THEY REAL CUP CONTENDERS? My feeling is they are better than they appeared for much of the regular season, not as good or as deep as they were in the playoffs. Tkachuk was a one man wrecking crew, leading the team in goals, assists and penalty minutes with an insane 74 in the postseason. 

My heart and my head are in the same place, a better regular season, approaching 100 points is probable and even likely, followed by a disappointing first round bow out. Keep an eye on Brandon Montour who had a monster breakout season and is an UFA at years end. This team is aggressive when it comes to moving potential free agents, signing him to an eight year deal might be difficult especially after Sandersons obscene deal  in Ottawa. If they cannt sign him they may move him during the season for a veteran top six scoring forward.

I believe that last seasons run was a bit fluky but they are built well and should be a regular playoff team provided Bob does not completely flake out. 

Montour had the fortune and misfortune of playing for Paul Maurice. Fortunate because he flip flopped off Ekblad on the PP to give Montour the opportunity,  unfortunate because of Maurice's track record for flip flopping between 3 dmen for PP time.

It wouldn't even surprise me to see him say "let's Try OEL on the pp"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...