✨🥅 2023-24 NHL GENERAL SEASON THREAD 🥅 ✨

TropicalFruitGirl26

And somehow I don't think these teams are done scoring.

Ottawa just skating at will in the Washington zone and the Caps are doing very little to deter Senator romping in the zone!
No attempted big hits, no stick checking....  just putting bodies in the way hoping they can disrupt Senator players.

I don't know how the Sens didn't come away with a goal just now. They had every opportunity...giftwrapped with a bow on top by Washington!

8 minutes ago, Math said:

I'm watching that game with one eye (Stars are playing the Isles right now too) and I'm still wondering how the Stars managed to lose against Ottawa...

Senators are a team, it seems, that plays off the other teams' mistakes to make their bread so to speak.
If a good team, like Dallas, doesn't execute, then the Sens have a chance to beat them like they did.
If the Stars play their game to the letter, it gives Ottawa almost no chance.

Then you have games like this one against the Caps where Washington wants to HAND them goals....and the Senators can't seem to take advantage.

Pretty much the Ottawa season summed up

After the Caps' 6-3 win (which vaulted them over NJ in the standings BTW, and now sit just 4 points behind PHI for 3rd), decided to flip on over to LA at EDM.

Seems the Kings and Oilers have developed a genuine "dislike" for one another.
A pair of playoff series in the recent past will do that.
Game is a bit chippy already.

Oilers none too happy with the LA franchise.
LA has two Cups in the last 10 years while the Oilers are still searching since the 80's...
As mentioned, the two tough playoff matchups in recent history adds to that.

Oh yea, then there is the Gretzky theft by LA from EDM the Oilers are still steamed about... :bigteeth:

All makes for great TV! 

56 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

NHL debut I see.

Terrific WHL and AHL numbers.
Small frame for a center....perhaps Brayden Point-like?
Will see if he can translate his minor league success to the bigs

Very small indeed, but capable to play on the wing either. 200+ pts in 100 games in the WHL, had a terrific training camp, was the scoring leader in the AHL, so yeah the kid has potential. He really looks like a cube and his surname is the pittbull because it's almost impossible to steal the puck from him. Two points tonight, one on the PP and played in the OT as well. If this guy is sent down again, it's a crime.

• Like 1

Holy Apple Carts....

Edmonton to the PP, BUT, it is only their first and we are winding down the 2nd period.
Has LA REALLY played that clean a game?
Or have the Oilers not driven hard enough at the net to draw penalties (like they just did now)?
Or maybe the refs and linesmen's last names are all Magoo?? 😎

Either way, the Oilers get the man advantage to try and tie the score....

And THAT didn't take long.
Draisaitl expertly redirects an innocent looking shot from the point just seconds into the EDM PP to square the score at 2.

3:50 left in the frame.

Kings' defense has looked a bit weak this period in particular....maybe the Oilers smell royal blood right about now.

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

the Caps seem to think they have a shot at the post season still

Well yeah…they’ve been pretty fair of late.  They have two chances:  catch Tampa or Detroit for a wild card, or catch Philly for 3rd in the Metro!

They’ve edged past the Pens, Devs, and Isles, and could tie the Flyboys by winning their two games in hand.  Somebody in the not-too-strong Metropolitan Division is gonna finish 3rd  and get in.

Big game in Motown tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

Well yeah…they’ve been pretty fair of late.  They have two chances:  catch Tampa or Detroit for a wild card, or catch Philly for 3rd in the Metro!

They’ve edged past the Pens, Devs, and Isles, and could tie the Flyboys by winning their two games in hand.  Somebody in the not-too-strong Metropolitan Division is gonna finish 3rd  and get in.

Big game in Motown tomorrow.

Well, their big win against the Sens puts them just 4 points behind Philly, and 6 behind TB.
Games in hand are fine....as long as they win them of course.

I just wonder though....the wild n woolly type of defense they played against the Sens (or some might say lack thereof), if they get away with a more structured team.
There were times when I thought Ottawa SHOULD have gotten a goal here, there, and there again, only to come up Senator Empty, then give one up the other way.

But yea....Caps do seem to have a realistic shot at catching either The Fly or The Bolts....although, if TB ever squares away their turnovers, they could be hard to catch, and perhaps shoot further up the standings.

Kings losing it now as the game comes down to the last 5 or 6 minutes.
With the Oilers already up 3-2, Los Angeles keeps taking one penalty after another, and granted, they've been killing them off, but it sure doesn't help their bid to try and tie the game.

And with all the PP time given to the Oilers, that is simply fueling the offensive confidence of McDavid and company.
Right now, that 3-2 lead may look like 5-2 to the Kings!

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I just wonder though....the wild n woolly type of defense they played against the Sens (or some might say lack thereof), if they get away with a more structured team.

Yeah, they have shown defensive weakness all year.  Maybe they’ve had some luck lately, too.

Before tonight, moneypuck.com had Philly at 66.3% and Washington only 11.1%.  Wha?!  On average, Washington would snare 3 pts from the 3 games in hand and thus trail Philly by 3 pts with 23 to play.

So, I figured the experts were taking strength of remaining schedule into account.  I subjectively classified 11 good teams, 12 fair teams, and 8 poor teams.  Of the Caps remaining 25 games, 13 are against the Good, 7 the Fair, 5 the Poor.

Of the Good, two teams have yet to be played this season.  Three remain vs the Red Wings, and two against the Jets.  Plus 2 apiece vs Bruins, Canes, and Leafs.  Add in single matchups with the Canucks and Oilers.

So tough sledding.  Things look better in the standings than they actually are.

P.S.  Caps also still have two games to play in Buffalo.  Per scheduling oddity, both are in April!

Edited by SaucyJack

Attempting to 'report' on the acquisition of Ilya Lyubushkin by the Leafs, we get THIS moron, Christopher Smith (is that even a real name??):

Maple Leafs acquiring new weapon to skate alongside Auston Matthews in deal with Ducks (clutchpoints.com)

Apparently, Lyubushkin has switched from defenseman to center :shifty: 

This here, people, is why you don't you don't listen to a guy whose 'primary interest is the NBA and long distance running' about anything hockey.

Seriously though...whatever happened to good, responsible and ACCURATE reporting?
Seems any ape with a microphone a camera, and/or access to a forum of some sort can run around pretending to be some sort of sports writer now.

Getting good things to read or listen to is so difficult nowadays, it's no wonder I prefer the good ol bare bones opinions of regular fans over so-called insiders, in-the-knowers, or sports reporters, particularly of the forum or podcasting variety.

I honestly don't know if they are stupid and/or ignorant, or just plain lazy and just want the "ooo, look at me, I know hockey" attention....

lol, just put Klingberg between the pipes and shift good players like Mattews or Knies on the first D pair, and all the Leafs woes will go away all of a sudden.

But I don't really get this deal. I know Toronto needs to solidify its D and that good offensive top-4 Dmen don't grow on trees, but why getting another third-pair shut-down defenseman when you already have McCabe, Benoît, Laggesson, Brodie and some other dudes? They should've gone straight after Hanifin.

Sabres at Maple Leafs on at the moment.

Buffalo isn't making the playoffs, however, they did trade away their leading scorer, Casey Mittelstadt to the Colorado Avalanche earlier today (getting back Bowan Byram....nicely done BTW, Buffalo...), so I am interested to see if the Sabres suddenly get "revitalized" after trading away one of the players that has been with them for a long while.

Amazing how that works, eh?
A coach gets fired, or a popular/long time player gets traded away....THEN all of a sudden, the team gets rejuvenated somehow and they start winning (even if only in the short term as is the case most of the time).

Still makes you wonder:
Where the H-E- double hockey sticks was all that "energy, jump, and gusto" BEFORE the freakin coach got fired or the player got traded away!!??

Anyways, Sabres have a chance to add to their locker room culture and try to smooth over the trading away of Mittelstadt with a win against what some are tabbing a Stanley Cup contender (yea, send me what THEY are smoking....and I don't even smoke :bigteeth: ), and also, a border and divisional rival.

Toronto, meanwhile, looks to sharpen themselves up as the season winds down, in preparation for what will be the REAL test, and major nemesis for them, the Stanley Cup playoffs.

John Tortorella has been ejected from tonight's game between the Flyers and Lightning.  Tonight's game is dedicated to the 2004 Stanley Cup team...so basically Torts was ejected from a game dedicated to him 🤣