Howden's hit on Tanev 10/10/23

Brewin Flames

Howden to have Player Safety hearing for actions in Golden Knights game

Forward facing discipline for illegal check to head against Tanev during win against Kraken

Howden_GoldenKnights

© Zak Krill/NHLI

ByNHL.com

Brett Howden will have a hearing with the NHL Department of Player Safety on Wednesday.

The Vegas Golden Knights forward is facing discipline for an illegal check to the head against Seattle Kraken forward Brandon Tanev on Tuesday.

The incident occurred at 6:02 of the third period of the Golden Knights' 4-1 win at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Howden made contact with Tanev's head as the latter was set to receive a pass in the neutral zone.

Howden was assessed a match penalty and a game misconduct. Tanev left the game and did not return. 

The penalties were upheld on an official's video review.

The following grounds are being considered for supplemental discipline: illegal check to the head. However, the Department of Player Safety retains the right to make adjustments to the infraction upon review.

Tanev had NO clue he was coming.  Head down and away from Howden ... AND ...he DID NOT have possesion of puck.

image.png.812edaea230c0583f9e69c40f8e00740.png

Tanev get hit above the shoulder in the neck and head area as you see his head snap to the side.

image.png.51dc9e79544aa7e1a0a57e99b4263b61.png

From the other angle ....

image.png.38ee7340ef3fcc7e603b46675db53c6a.png

Shoulder in head .....

Now do I believe Howden purposely went head hunting ...no I don't think so  ... Tanev had his head down.

However, by the very nature up the hit and the nature of the rules ....

This was a head shot the league is trying to eliminate.  I am absolutely OK with a 5 minute match penalty and game misconduct.

I don't think Howden has any history of discipline, therefore, I suspect maybe a 1 or 2 game suspension with an appropriate monetary fine.

• Like 1