Dallas at Minnesota, 1-8-24

3 hours ago, Tomdog said:

I just don't understand what the purpose of passing the puck around when so few of the players move to a different position. They may move a little but really nothing significant. 

Last night Boldy and Faber played catch, and no one broke for the goal to take a pass and then shoot from an improved angle.

How often do they try a give and go on the pp?

I agree, it doesn't create almost any movement on the penalty kill; as they move the puck station to station.  It didn't create any movement when Mikko & Suter did it and it certainly isn't now with Rossi & Faber or Boldy & Faber.  You have to work pucks cross-ice to get the goalie and shooting lanes to open up and shots have to come fast.  You settle and shoot, it doesn't work.  How often is it when we finally take a shot on goal there isn't anyone near the crease and if they are they are not screening the goaltender.  Its like Stephen Valiquette said, it may make your Corsi look great but you are really just playing catch with the goaltender.  I agree, its pointless.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I agree, it doesn't create almost any movement on the penalty kill; as they move the puck station to station.  It didn't create any movement when Mikko & Suter did it and it certainly isn't now with Rossi & Faber or Boldy & Faber.  You have to work pucks cross-ice to get the goalie and shooting lanes to open up and shots have to come fast.  You settle and shoot, it doesn't work.  How often is it when we finally take a shot on goal there isn't anyone near the crease and if they are they are not screening the goaltender.  Its like Stephen Valiquette said, it may make your Corsi look great but you are really just playing catch with the goaltender.  I agree, its pointless.  

Their refusal to play, a less talented right shot forward also ties their hand on any cross ice play.

Yea I get it Hartman isn’t as good as Boldy Kaprizov or Zucc, but he's right handed and that would help keep the pk on their toes.

They also appear to fear breaking for net.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 5:59 PM, CreaseAndAssist said:

By the way, Darby Hendrickson doesn't have anything to do with the power play.  He apparently is kind of the practice / skills coach.  Jason King is the power play guru.  

I never really knew for sure, Thank you :)
That being said, King just took over the playbook then as I don't see much change from the years prior. Just a few tweaks that looked interesting at first but turned out to be easily defended.
Still no movement or 'pucks to the net' rebounds and chaos.