Merzlikins "wont be a backup"

Merzlikins wants new scenario, 'won't be backup' for Blue Jackets

Goalie scratched 3 times since Dec. 29, hasn’t asked for trade

Merzlikins_Blue-Jackets

© Getty Images

ByCraig Merz
NHL.com Independent Correspondent

COLUMBUS -- Elvis Merzlikins has not asked for a trade from the Columbus Blue Jackets, but the goalie said Friday he and the team have agreed that a "new scenario" is needed.

Merzlikins has not played since Dec. 29, when he left a game against the Toronto Maple Leafs after the first period because of an illness. He has been a healthy scratch the past three games and four of the past five behind Daniil Tarasov and Spencer Martin.

“Being third, No. 3, just like this in one moment, that shocked me, that surprised me,” Merzlikins said Friday. “But then talking to my agent and agent’s talking, we agreed on a new scenario. There has to be a new scenario for me for my career, I believe.”

He said he has not asked for a trade.

“I just want to be treated as No. 1. I believe that I am No. 1,” Merzlikins said. “It didn’t get to that point that I’m requesting (a trade). It went to the point that both sides agreed.”

The 29-year-old began the season as the starter with Martin the backup while Tarasov was out with a back injury.

Merzlikins, whose five-year, $27 million contract ($5.4 million annual average value) runs through the 2026-27 season, is 7-8-6 with a 3.25 goals-against average and .907 save percentage in 23 games this season. He was 7-18-2 with a 4.23 GAA and .876 save percentage in 30 games last season.

Selected by the Blue Jackets in the third round (No. 76) of the 2014 NHL Draft, Merzlikins is 62-70-28 in 173 NHL games, all with Columbus.

He spent most of that time splitting starts with Joonas Korpisalo, who was traded by the Blue Jackets to the Los Angeles Kings on March 1, 2023. He had started 23 of the Blue Jackets’ first 37 games this season.

“It’s an organization decision," Merzlikins said. "I was [a] stable No. 1. I just jumped straight to No. 3. I did not like it that, obviously. I don't think anybody would like that, but again, it was the organization’s decision.

“I'm healthy. I'm good to go. I can play again. There's nothing I can do about it. The only thing I can do is practice the minutes I can do as the third goalie and support my teammates as much as I can and do.”

Blue Jackets coach Pascal Vincent said the organization wants to see if the injury-plagued Tarasov can be a No. 1 goalie. He is expected to start for Columbus (13-20-9) against the Seattle Kraken at home Saturday (7 p.m. ET; ROOT-NW, BSOH) with Merzlikins as the backup.

The 24-year-old is 2-3-2 with a 3.79 GAA and .883 save percentage in seven games this season.

“Elvis is a good goalie. Really good goalie,” Vincent said. “As far as the coaches are concerned, we need to see what Daniil has, and we know Elvis can play. He's having a good season.

“Elvis feels he's a No. 1. I liked that about him. Daniil feels he's the No, 1 and if you ask Spencer, given the chance, he feels he can be a No. 1, and that's what we want. We want to create that competition. But right now we're trying to make informed decisions.”

Merzlikins said he never felt he was the No. 2 when he battled Korpisalo for the starting job the past few seasons and he feels the same now.

“I’ve told you many times, I’m not a backup, and I won’t be backup,” Merzlikins said. “I believe in myself. You can call me arrogant. … I’m not arrogant, I’m just confident. I know I’m not No. 2 or 3 and I won’t be it.”

Merzlikins is not a number one goalie for any team who is being serious. Overpaid, does not have killer instinct. Offer a bag of well used warm up pucks and take on half his salary the CBJ will be glad to dump him. Puff puff pass.

• Good Post 1

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Merzlikins is not a number one goalie for any team who is being serious. Overpaid, does not have killer instinct. Offer a bag of well used warm up pucks and take on half his salary the CBJ will be glad to dump him. Puff puff pass.

Was thinking along very similar lines.  The only reason he has a job at all is that all of their goalies suck.

If they want to see if Daniil or Spencer are #1 goalies, I can save them the trouble:  they're not. But they ARE cheaper garbage.