Game 81: New Jersey Devils at Philadelphia Flyers; 4/13/24 @ 5 PM, NBCSP

50 minutes ago, radoran said:

I haven't disagreed with the general theory, just noting the actual impact.

You're right, it's probably more like 10% 🤣

Briere also got a 5th back for brokering cap space.

Added Johnson as a salve to his locker room after he shipped out Walker for a first, replaced part of the cost for cap space.

All in all, I find it kinda hard to come down on him for it - in that context.

The context where picking in the middle of the first doesn't help a "rebuild" puts it in a different light, but they were already there.

Maybe Johnson's -10 helped them improve their position. 🤣

Oh I'd bet Johnson helped them fall out of the playoffs (obviously trading Walker AND the team being driven into the ground didn't hurt). 

But I doubt that was the plan.

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

But I doubt that was the plan.

And, to the overall point, that's the problem.

"The plan" changed several times throughout the season, morphing from "rebuild culture and establish accountability" and "don't fall in love" to "make the playoffs, anything can happen" and "this journeyman waiver wire pickup is essential to our team culture."

It was predictable to the extent that many predicted it that the style being played - while entertaining and winning in the regular season - was going to wear them out by the time they got to the playoffs, if they got there.

Now, having put a lot of stock into "making the playoffs" because #goodthing they face planted and are extremely likely to miss out entirely #badthing.

And I obviously have "concerns" about the protege of Bob Clarke's protege being "the guy" running the "rebuild" while his law partner tells his former radio media colleagues that the whole "rebuild" thing was a sham from the moment they said it.

It may all still work out.

No, really.

:hocky:

• Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

And, to the overall point, that's the problem.

"The plan" changed several times throughout the season, morphing from "rebuild culture and establish accountability" and "don't fall in love" to "make the playoffs, anything can happen" and "this journeyman waiver wire pickup is essential to our team culture."

It was predictable to the extent that many predicted it that the style being played - while entertaining and winning in the regular season - was going to wear them out by the time they got to the playoffs, if they got there.

Now, having put a lot of stock into "making the playoffs" because #goodthing they face planted and are extremely likely to miss out entirely #badthing.

And I obviously have "concerns" about the protege of Bob Clarke's protege being "the guy" running the "rebuild" while his law partner tells his former radio media colleagues that the whole "rebuild" thing was a sham from the moment they said it.

It may all still work out.

No, really.

:hocky:

Well when you put it like that, I can see why Briere has his followers on here. People seem to LOVE Philly never having an actual plan and just flying by the seat of their pants. 

I mean why not, it's been working so well. golfing_banana.gif

• Haha 1