Don Waddell steps down as president/GM of Carolina Hurricanes

Don Waddell steps down as president/GM of Carolina Hurricanes

• clark_ryan.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Ryan S. Clark, NHL reporterMay 24, 2024, 12:47 PM ET

Don Waddell has stepped down as the general manager and president of the Carolina Hurricanes, the team announced Friday.

Waddell's departure comes after six seasons as general manager and 10 total with the Hurricanes. He was hired as team president before the start of the 2014-15 season and then added the GM title during the 2018-19 season.

"I have come to the decision that now is the time for me to move to the next chapter of my career," Waddell said in a statement.

"I have loved my experiences in the Triangle over the past 10 years, and together with a strong team, on and off the ice, we have accomplished many great victories. I am grateful for the support I have received from many loyal Caniacs. This organization is in strong, capable hands and well-positioned for the future."

Canes assistant general manager Eric Tulsky will serve as interim GM as the team looks for Waddell's permanent replacement. Tulsky joined the Hurricanes at the start of the 2014-15 season as an analyst, became director of analytics in 2017-18 and then was promoted to assistant GM prior to the 2020-21 season.

Under Waddell, the Hurricanes became one of the more prominent examples of teams that found sustained success by drafting and developing homegrown talent.

After missing the playoffs for nine straight years, the Hurricanes have since made six consecutive postseason appearances, including two trips to the Eastern Conference finals. They finished second in the Metropolitan Division this season and were eliminated in the second round by the New York Rangers.

Waddell, who was in the final year of his contract with Carolina, interviewed with Columbus on Thursday, sources told ESPN's Emily Kaplan, and is a candidate to become the team's president after the Blue Jackets parted with longtime GM Jarmo Kekalainen after 10 seasons.

Wow, I wonder if he's getting some ****** news regarding the billions of UFAs the 'Canes need to resign.

I've heard the owner of the 'Canes is a hardball douche who needs to always win the negotiation and as a result no one really likes him.

For instance why on earth did they mess around with resigning one of the best coaches in the league?  A: the owner is an ass.

So, maybe asshat Dundon told him, I'm not paying for all those dudes or something pointless like similar.

I typed this in a different thread, but my disdain for the way Dundon does business compelled me to copy and paste it here.

sorry for the spam!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I absolutely hate Waddell.he hired the right coach, I liked the Guentzel trade but took over a team ready for the playoffs and did nothing much else. Bad signings mostly bad trades and now pesce,shei and Guentzel are ufa with valuable cogs besides. He escapes like someone who ate at a five star restaurant who dined and dashed 

Edited by yave1964
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

died and dashed 

DAYUM!!!

Now that is a serious game to play.

What is that don't pay and they shoot you in the back running out the door? :hehe:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

DAYUM!!!

Now that is a serious game to play.

What is that don't pay and they shoot you in the back running out the door? :hehe:

Lol!!

You know the worst?waddell is being hired in the morning by my hometown bluejackets. Because hiring babcockwasnt bad enough. 

• Uggh... 1