Habs and Grigorenko

Guest habsguy26

habsguy26's Poll  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Will Mikhail Grigorenko be as good(or even better) as Malkin?

• Yes
    • No
    • No way to tell yet, but he might get close to that status

According to Quebec Remparts owner, coach, GM and Habs Hall of Famer Patrick Roy, Habs owner Geoff Molson has had several interviews with his Russian star junior player Mikhail Grigorenko. According to Roy, Molson and Grigorenko discussed many things, like the possibility of being drafted by Montreal and the infamous Russian Factor. Roy also said that if Montreal is in the position (which they likely will be), they will indeed draft the budding Russian superstar. With this 2012 draft drawing comparisons to the 2004 draft (Yakupov - Ovechkin, Grigorenko - Malkin, Murray - Green), this is certainly exciting news for Habs fans.

Here is Grigorenko's scouting report:

"Mikhail Grigorenko is yet another Russian player looking to be selected in the top three. He is an extremely talented center with great hands, amazing IQ, superb vision and tons of offensive upside. He is a mainstay on Russia's junior national team as their top center, and was voted Player of the Tournament at the World Junior A Hockey Challenge. The knock on him is mostly "the Russian Factor" however it is widely considered that Grigorenko will come over to play for the Quebec Remparts in 2011-12."

@Podein25,

Certainly is. I just hope Columbus doesn't get smart and draft him 1st. Edmonton will certainly pick Murray which leaves us with Grigorenko. Which I am fine with because I am in love with this kid already, he is just what Montreal needs. I'm glad we bombed this season, in a way.

Are you speaking of the Mike York era? Yeah, most of us are trying to forget those years. However, in actual fact the Flyers have not used the "suck-for-10-years-and-get-lots-of-top-5-picks-to-rebuild method, like say Pissburgh or other franchises. It was only a couple of years. But they were grim, that's for sure.

Of course, there's also the "suck-for-almost-50-years-and-still-suck" method of Toronto, but that's another subject for another thread.

Edited by Podein25

• 2 weeks later...

According to Quebec Remparts owner, coach, GM and Habs Hall of Famer Patrick Roy, Habs owner Geoff Molson has had several interviews with his Russian star junior player Mikhail Grigorenko

What role do you think Roy might have with Montreal next season? From Molson's perspective, it would seem a smart move to have Patrick Roy involved with the team. He'd appeal to most of the French.

He can be a loose cannon, but I can see him being hired. Either as a coach or in the front office.