Staal turns down ten year offer?

Guest Polaris922

Jordan Staal Reportedly Turns Down 10-Year Contract Offer From Penguins

+1 updates

Update

Jordan Staal Turns Down 10-Year Contact From Penguins, According To Report

Jordan Staal has turned down a 10-year contract offer from the Pittsburgh Penguins, according to a report from TSN's Bob McKenzie. The Penguins forward has one more year left on a four-year, $16 million contract signed back in 2009 and is set to become an unrestricted free agent in July 2013.

The reports also notes that Staal now seems unwilling to sign an extension with the Penguins, suggesting he'll test free agency when his time comes. McKenzie notes that Staal likes Pittsburgh and that the news suggests he'd turn down an offer from any team should the Penguins trade him. That could make teams reluctant to acquire Staal via trade, or at the very least could make Pittsburgh's return on a potential trade considerably lower than Staal's actual value.

It's a bad situation for Pittsburgh, and it would certainly make things awkward for all involved parties should Staal pull on a Penguins jersey again at the start of the 2012-13 season.

Jun 21 5:16p by Travis Hughes - 2 comments

I wonder what the Pens offered him...So he won't sign eh? Well that's not what you want to hear I'm sure but - can you really blame him? It won't be "awkward" at all in September though, why would it? I wouldn't worry about that at all. Why, because everyone knows he wants to be a UFA next summer? Nobody will hold it against him, everyone knows it's a business first.

He must figure he's worth more than whatever you offered him. Next summer - if he plays 75+ games - he could cash in in a big way. Unless he's hurt again or it's a real buyer's market for centermen...I wonder how much he'll go for...is 7mil a season out of reach? After a big year? He'll make for an interesting case next summer - I hope he makes it till then...unsigned! :)

@Polaris922

I can't blame Staal for not wanting a 10 year deal. But one would think that there might have been some middle ground where Staal might have been interested in a 3 or 4 year deal?

It sure presents a situation where Shero is forced to trade him. He'd better find out first where Staal would prefer to play to render some value in return.

Reports are ten years at 6 mil per year. That's a lot of money to walk away from. I accept he wants to be the star somewhere, but then to sabotage any trade ideas by saying he'll refuse to sign anywhere he gets traded to? And follow it up with he wants to stay in Pittsburgh....

Positioning for UFA status I get. Could he be thinking the Pens are in the top few likely to win the Cup and he wants that shot before cashing in? Or is it just that he doesn't want to move twice in two years?

Talk about tying the hand that feeds you...

Apparently it was.

You've seen him play more than me, I'm sure. But I was reading another thread where you said he's "overrated" as a 2-way guy? I found that surprising. Every time I've watched him he's a mother of a competitor, and with his size what more can you ask? When it comes to forwards playing D the first thing - almost the only thing - you look for is hustle and competitiveness = does the guy want the puck back and is he willing to skate hard (and hit) to get it back? Jordan Staal has that in spades.

You may like your "replacement" for him but imho the Pens got much weaker losing Staal.

• Like 1

Apparently it was.

You've seen him play more than me, I'm sure. But I was reading another thread where you said he's "overrated" as a 2-way guy? I found that surprising. Every time I've watched him he's a mother of a competitor, and with his size what more can you ask? When it comes to forwards playing D the first thing - almost the only thing - you look for is hustle and competitiveness = does the guy want the puck back and is he willing to skate hard (and hit) to get it back? Jordan Staal has that in spades.

You may like your "replacement" for him but imho the Pens got much weaker losing Staal.

That's my knock on him though... He has offensive competitiveness in spades, but in defense he's lazy gatting back, and you can't have that in a two way center. He wants to be an offensive threat, and his defensive effort shows it too often for my liking.

I like the kid, just think he needs to be a #2 somewhere, and Carolina will allow that to happen.