Pens trade Michalek

Guest Polaris922

Penguins Acquire Harrison Ruopp, Marc Cheverie and a 2012 Third-Round Draft Pick from the Phoenix Coyotes in Exchange for Zbynek Michalek

Friday, 06.22.2012 / 11:29 PM / News

Pittsburgh Penguins

The Pittsburgh Penguins have acquired defenseman Harrison Ruopp, goaltender Marc Cheverie and a 2012 third-round draft pick (81st overall) from the Phoenix Coyotes in exchange for Zbynek Michalek, it was announced by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

Ruopp, 19, played for the Prince Albert Raiders of the Western Hockey League (WHL) this past season after being drafted by the Coyotes in the third round (84th overall) of the 2011 NHL Draft. Ruopp appeared in a career-high 62 games for Prince Albert, posting nine points (2G-7A) and 127 penalty minutes.

The 6-foot-2, 200-pound Ruopp has spent the past three seasons with the Raiders, collecting 18 points (2G-16A) and 263 penalty minutes in 149 regular-season games. Ruopp, a native of Zehner, Saskatchewan, added nine penalty minutes in six playoff contests.

Following this trade the Penguins will own seven more selections in the 2012 NHL Draft between Rounds 2-7 on Saturday at CONSOL Energy Center. Following a single selection in the second round (52nd overall), Pittsburgh now owns two choices in each of the third (81st, 83rd) and fourth (92nd, 113th) rounds, and single picks in rounds five (143rd) and six (173rd).

Salary dump, and not a bad move... though I'd have rather seen Martin moved first. Z was solid at times, and a great shot blocker, but never came close to living up to his price tag.

Word is they're going after Parise... That's an exciting thought.

I don't think you can spend half your capspace on 4 players.

I know. After that contract they just gave to Crosby, it's hard for me to see them going after both. But they also traded Staal and freed up some space... so you never know.

I know. After that contract they just gave to Crosby, it's hard for me to see them going after both. But they also traded Staal and freed up some space... so you never know.

That's the same cap hit Crosby has had though so no move there, and with the cap going up but the hits not... More $$ to spend