So who do YOU skate with Sid?

Guest Polaris922

@B21 personally I think I'd rather see if they could took the Ducks out of Ryan. He's a competitor with a scoring touch and would really become a force with a guy like Sid. But obviously that's been discussed a lot on the Flyers boards and what would they want for him?

@Vanflyer

Yeah it seems teams have figured him out but I'd still enjoy having him on the roster minus his personal problems. As for the Russians... Yuppers! I wonder if Semin would be an asset though. Gotta admit he can score... But can he be worth the hassle?

If you believe the rumor mill about locker room cancer....probably not. If you can get him for 4m, I could handle the LR BS.

Not sure it's even rumors or whispers anymore. That TSN panel discussion was a loud bang about Semin's issues. But I'm with you. I'd take a "motivated" Semin on a one year deal and take my chances in free agency or replacing him from within next year. No matter how much he proves to be a good soldier, I would NOT sign him long term after next year. Let someone else take that risk.

Not sure it's even rumors or whispers anymore. That TSN panel discussion was a loud bang about Semin's issues.

I did not see the TSN panel stuff, but no doubt can believe it. That kind of publicity- so blatant, plummets a players value, no matter how skilled.

I am with you. A one year deal for low cap hit. If he changes his stipes and is a good trooper as you say, I re-up for two years on the next contract. The thing with a player like him is that he won't want to play with the best players in the world and more than likely the Stanley Cup is not the Holy Grail to him. Instead he will do a "Radulov".

@Vanflyer I honestly believe Semin does not value winning the Stanley Cup. I think if he could make the same kinda money bagging groceries, he would choose that. He will fold like an acordian in the playoffs, where puck possession becomes paramount and you have to sacrafice your body to maintain puck control. I'd pass on this guy so quick your head would spin off, lol....nutt'in but a greedy POS.

@jammer2

Totally agree and another wasted Russian talent. As agitated as I am with Homer this summer, what I will say about him is he will always take quality people over superior talent when the player is a d i c k head. You have to respect him for that at least (we can't hold him accountable for Breezy).

I did not see the TSN panel stuff, but no doubt can believe it. That kind of publicity- so blatant, plummets a players value, no matter how skilled.

I am with you. A one year deal for low cap hit. If he changes his stipes and is a good trooper as you say, I re-up for two years on the next contract. The thing with a player like him is that he won't want to play with the best players in the world and more than likely the Stanley Cup is not the Holy Grail to him. Instead he will do a "Radulov".

Could be. For 1 year though, I don't care what his motivation is as long as he is motivated. Tell him the Cup is filled with cheap Stoli for all I care.

@Vanflyer I honestly believe Semin does not value winning the Stanley Cup. I think if he could make the same kinda money bagging groceries, he would choose that. He will fold like an acordian in the playoffs, where puck possession becomes paramount and you have to sacrafice your body to maintain puck control. I'd pass on this guy so quick your head would spin off, lol....nutt'in but a greedy POS.

All true. He is the biggest example of wasted Russian talent since Anna Kournikova married Enrique Iglesias. I know he folds in the post season; one of if not the biggest knock on him. Which gets back to being motivated for that big contract. Still a risk but I would hope he understands that he'd need to perform in the post season as well as the regular season to land big dollars. A big post-season alone can do wonders for one's wallet...just ask JVR. ;)

@Mad Dog

I think you're right. Very similar circumstance in that you need someone who can skate with and maybe predict a little of what Giroux might be thinking just as we do with Crosby. There was a comment by Shero indicating that Kennedy might be the guy they lean on for that. I really don't expect anything from the free agent market right now. I think the Pens are looking to next year's crop, so to speak.

@B21

@sarsippius

@Vanflyer

I think Semin is a major not gonna happen. I was reading along thinking to myself about it all when I remembered there was some kind of issue with Semin and Crosby... then I remembered and looked it up....

"What's so special about Sidney Crosby? I don't see anything special there. Yes, he does skate well, has a good head, good pass. But there's nothing else. Even if you compare him to Patrick Kane from Chicago, Kane is a much more interesting player. The way he moves, his dekeing abilities, his thinking on the ice and his anticipation of the play are so superb. I think that if you take any player, even if he is dead wood, and start promoting him, you'll get a star. Especially if he scores 100 points. No one is going to care about anyone else. No one is going to care whether he possesses great skill. Let's say you put someone in front of the net and let him deflect pucks in, and he scored 50 goals everyone will say, Wow! and then hand him a $10 million per year contract. That's what they like here."

Uhh... I'd say that's not gonna happen. LOL

The part that always made me shake my head about Semin's quote was " I think that if you take any player, even if he is dead wood, and start promoting him, you'll get a star. Especially if he scores 100 points." Ok... "dead wood" -> "100 points" Those two statements just don't jibe. I mean gee, I'd say if a guy scores 100 points he's a star, or at least very well on his way. I understand that he may have been referring to a "star" in a bit different light, but still.

I suppose I can agree that on a 1-year deal where he's potentially motivated (and at a reasonable price) I'd try the experiment. However, even if he's wearing a Pens sweater it's still gonna take an awful lot to convince me that Semin isn't just a complete idiot. Talented? Yes, for sure. But we've all seen how far that gets him when he decides to just disappear. Anywho...

• Like 1