So who do YOU skate with Sid?

Guest Polaris922

So that's my question... If you're Bylsma, who do you put with Sid?

Plan B: (A being Parise): Semin ONLY if it is a 1-year deal for no more than $5,000,000.

Plan C: Kennedy with Dustin Jeffrey taking his spot on the 3rd line w/ Cooke and Sutter.

Plan D: I got nothing.

Plan B: (A being Parise): Semin ONLY if it is a 1-year deal for no more than $5,000,000.

Plan C: Kennedy with Dustin Jeffrey taking his spot on the 3rd line w/ Cooke and Sutter.

Plan D: I got nothing.

I dunno man, I think there's a reason nobody wants Semin....as in he's lazy selfish locker room cancer

• Like 1

@hf101

I think you're on the right track. I think they'll try Tangradi somewhere in there. I also think Dupuis will be tried out with Crosby due to his 25 goal production last year. I just wish we could find that winger with the touch. Lemieux made Robbie Brown a 50 goal guy!

@sarsippius

Yeah I dunno what to make of him. If a guy like Boudreau couldn't handle him I dunno if Bylsma's softer touch would be better for him or not. Maybe he reacts better not bring treated like a 5 year old? Or maybe he'd be worse?

Kunitz - Crosby - Neal

they seemed to work fine together last year

Until the playoffs! Ha ha. Kunitz was atrocious. Dupuis had a career year.

Seriously, who do you then put with Malkin? This is the problem with a top heavy team.

All that said,

I dunno man, I think there's a reason nobody wants Semin....as in he's lazy selfish locker room cancer

Which seems to be the prevailing wind with him. He does not sniff north of 4m this year- and it will be a 1 year try out at best. What is the deal with Russian players anyway??

@Vanflyer

Yeah Kunitz kind of vanished and that's not like him. I seriously thought he had to be nursing some kind of I jury but nothing was said post-season.

As for Semin... Seems half the Russians are humble and selfless, the other half are completely conceited jerks!

@jammer2

I think so. There were such high hopes for him. The Pens have a great track record of developing players, so I dunno what's missing. The kid appears to try his heart out, but to date it's just not happening. He better step up soon or he'll be lost to attrition!

@Polaris922

Looks like you guys have a similar dilemma as we do in terms of Giroux... now that his last year's linemate Jagr is gone. It's always hard to find a perfect linemate to play with a superstar. Chemistry is a hard thing to find. I use an example of Lindros-LeClaire. That duo fed off each other like I've never seen before. I mean Lindros did the main work; all LeClair needed to do was to get open and capitilize, which is actually not as easy as it sounds, but still.

I dunno..... Dupuis had a decent year, but it's hard ot expect the same produciton form him. Personally, if I am Bylsma, I would try Tangradi and Dupuis and use Kennedy as plan B. That would mean Kunitz and Neal (or Kennedy and Neal) would play with Malkin... You have some options...

@Mad Dog

I think you're right. Very similar circumstance in that you need someone who can skate with and maybe predict a little of what Giroux might be thinking just as we do with Crosby. There was a comment by Shero indicating that Kennedy might be the guy they lean on for that. I really don't expect anything from the free agent market right now. I think the Pens are looking to next year's crop, so to speak.

@B21

@sarsippius

@Vanflyer

I think Semin is a major not gonna happen. I was reading along thinking to myself about it all when I remembered there was some kind of issue with Semin and Crosby... then I remembered and looked it up....

"What's so special about Sidney Crosby? I don't see anything special there. Yes, he does skate well, has a good head, good pass. But there's nothing else. Even if you compare him to Patrick Kane from Chicago, Kane is a much more interesting player. The way he moves, his dekeing abilities, his thinking on the ice and his anticipation of the play are so superb. I think that if you take any player, even if he is dead wood, and start promoting him, you'll get a star. Especially if he scores 100 points. No one is going to care about anyone else. No one is going to care whether he possesses great skill. Let's say you put someone in front of the net and let him deflect pucks in, and he scored 50 goals everyone will say, Wow! and then hand him a $10 million per year contract. That's what they like here."

Uhh... I'd say that's not gonna happen. LOL

Yes, he does skate well, has a good head, good pass. But there's nothing else. Even if you compare him to Patrick Kane from Chicago, Kane is a much more interesting player. The way he moves, his dekeing abilities, his thinking on the ice and his anticipation of the play are so superb. I think that if you take any player, even if he is dead wood, and start promoting him, you'll get a star.

Wow!!! I never knew that. And what is funny for me is that I think Kane is extremely one dimensional. Good player for sure, great - sometimes. Yet to even mention him in a class of Crosby is absurd. Kane is a player that is better by the players around him. Crosby is a player that makes other players around him better.

• Like 1

Gotta remember Semin is OVs teammate. He probably said that during the early stages of the rivalry that never was. OV's play has been suspect for 2 years now and Crosby has been hurt.

Doesn't change the fact that it is a stupid quote and dead wrong.

@B21 think they'll go after Semin? Or maybe Doan? I've been trying to think about this one for awhile... Since Parise went elsewhere I got nothing either. Dupuis had a good year but I dunno...

I'm on board with Semin as long as the deal is for 1 year and under $5,000,000. Dupuis to the Pens is a lot like Hartnell to the Flyers...I don't think you can count on similar production. A career year at their age tents to be just that...a career year. I think Doan is staying in Phoenix.

As for Tangradi (mentioned in another post) - I have to fault the Pens for handling him. They bring him up for a few games at a time, throw him on the 4th line and then send him back. If they really want to to see what he has then put him on the big club, put him on Crosby's line and see what happens. He's not going to be able to showcase his offensive talent if his primary role is playing on the 4th line with Adams and Vitale.

@Polaris922

The only thing about Semin that is to the Pens' advantage is that the longer this drags on (him being unsigned) the less leverage he has. He may have no choice but to take a one year deal to show he can be the opposite of his reputation. THAT would be ideal for the Pens - or whoever signs him. Someone with his skill set playing for the big contract. No matter what I don't want him long term. But I will take a shot for 1 year under those circumstances.

@mojo1917

That was in 2011... Maybe OV loyalty but wow...

@Vanflyer

@sarsippius

I like Kane as a player but I agree he's pretty one dimensional.

@B21

I'd lowball him for a year too... But the question is would Shero risk pissing off Sid if he took those words to heart? I remember Sid very subtlety saying Semin doesn't matter downplaying it all but that doesn't mean he'd like the guy on his line.

@Polaris922

<< I'd lowball him for a year too... But the question is would Shero risk pissing off Sid if he took those words to heart? I remember Sid very subtlety saying Semin doesn't matter downplaying it all but that doesn't mean he'd like the guy on his line. >>

Maybe I am being naive but I think Crosby would play with anyone if it meant winning another Cup. Even Hartnell.

@Polaris922

<< I'd lowball him for a year too... But the question is would Shero risk pissing off Sid if he took those words to heart? I remember Sid very subtlety saying Semin doesn't matter downplaying it all but that doesn't mean he'd like the guy on his line. >>

Maybe I am being naive but I think Crosby would play with anyone if it meant winning another Cup. Even Hartnell.

I think he'll always put the team first as well... Would just be an awkward topic. I could see Shero talk to Sid and ask how he feels about it.

I think he'll always put the team first as well... Would just be an awkward topic. I could see Shero talk to Sid and ask how he feels about it.

OMG yes - that goes without saying. If I were Shero, I'd go down my F/A list until I get to the names of players who are not better than my inhouse options. That's basically Semin and then maybe Kostitsyn. Both head cases so again...1 year deal maximum.

I like Kane as a player but I agree he's pretty one dimensional.

And other teams have figured out that dimension. He can still play, but he is not the 70 point guy he was when he first came in the league. He is a 60 point guy and probably will continue to be that unless he plays with players who are superior to him.