Mikhail Grigorenko Sent Back to QMJHL

Guest Pegulaville26

The Sabres again find a way to tick of their fan base. With Ville Leino ready to return to the lineup tomorrow instead of waiving the 35 year old Jochen Hecht or Kevin Porter the Sabers decide to burn a year of Grigorenko's ELC by sending him back to Quebec. Absolutely makes no sense. It might be a little better for a team competing for a playoff spot, but they are one of the worst teams in hockey this year. He could of used the playing time and experience in the NHL. They have handled Grigo very poorly this year and does not bode well for Armia and Girgensons coming up the ranks. Hockey Heaven folks...

I don't think sending Grigorenko to Quebec was a bad move. The Remparts are one of the favorites to make it to the Memorial Cup finals especially now with Grigorenko. So instead of getting sub par NHL time he will get prime playoff minutes in a chance to win a Cup.

@hf101 I agree, he returns to one of the best team in the CHL, gets a chance to dominate and win in the playoffs, something he would not have experienced in Buffalo. He goes from meaningless games for the Sabres to pressure cooker playoff games. He gets more time on the top pp, more confidence with more open space. Instead of having the potential to be the go to guy, he will be the go to guy....it can only bode well for the Sabres long term...this will help develop him and give him more confidence moving forward....solid move by the Sabres. Watching his teammates go through the motions in a non playoff atmosphere would not have been good for him either.

I don't think sending Grigorenko to Quebec was a bad move. The Remparts are one of the favorites to make it to the Memorial Cup finals especially now with Grigorenko. So instead of getting sub par NHL time he will get prime playoff minutes in a chance to win a Cup.

I don't think sending him down was a bad idea. Keeping him up long enough to burn a year of his ELC in a shortened season, then sending him down was plain stupid. Almost Holmgrenian-like.

Hummm, wondering if its a contract thing. There used to be two numbers teams watched with Junior players. The first was 10. If a Junior played 10 games, the season automatically counted as one of the three of his entry level contract. This year, due to the shorted season, that number was reduced to 5. The other number was 40, if an 18 year old junior played 40 games, he could go to Unrestricted free agency at 25. If he did not play 40 games as an 18 year old, that moved to age 26. I wonder if the NHL moved that number also, based on the 40 in the past, that number would be about 25 games. Anyone know if this rule was adjusted for this season also.

Edited by nossagog