Gustafsson: Size doesn't matter

caluso

I know Gomer is a size queen and is always acquiring big d-men, but sometimes size doesn't matter - skill and heart do.Gustafsson gets no love from the organization, continually yo-yo'd between the big club and the farm for the likes of haskins, gervais, foster, lilja, et al..., because he is undersized. However, Gustafsson has excellent mobilty, makes great outlet passes and is young d-man - all things the Flyers are desperate for.

Someone posted that Gustafsson was Timo-lite. I say he his Timo-fresh

Maybe I am biased but I really think he should be in the long-term plans.

Edited by caluso
  • Like 2

Coburn, Timmo, Schenn, Grossman are all ahead of him....then of course the question marks, Mez and Bourdon are they coming back?

If we draft a dman this year , and make a trade for a dman , which is inevitable, I dont see Gus playing for the Flyers, except as a callup

I can't help but think with all the talk about all the injuries and how we've rallied that maybe some of that is that these players stepping up have been capable but not given a chance. There is definitely a difference between stepping in for a game or two and performing over a long haul as the guy but at the same time at what point do you ask if this player filling in is capable of performing at a better level.

The org should be giving him a longer look, more playing time, see how he responds, how he looks against different compitition in different situations....see what we "really" have going forwards, ditto for the Great Dane.

I can't help but think with all the talk about all the injuries and how we've rallied that maybe some of that is that these players stepping up have been capable but not given a chance. There is definitely a difference between stepping in for a game or two and performing over a long haul as the guy but at the same time at what point do you ask if this player filling in is capable of performing at a better level.

A lot of these guys like Gus can play. Like you suggest, they just need more playing time. Do not be surprised if this team does little this summer with D men. I general consensus around WFC is that they just need some people to get healthy. They will draft a high forward.