Pens' 1st Round Match Up

B21

With 5-6 games left for most teams and only 6 points separating the 6th seed in the East from 10th place, the Pens opponent in Round one will likely come from the group of 5 teams...

6 - Ottawa: 6 GR / 50 Points --> WAS / TOR / PIT / @ WAS / PHI / @ BOS

7 - NY Islanders: 5 GR / 49 Points --> @ TOR / @WPG / @ CAR / @ PHI / @ BUF

8 - NY Rangers: 6 GR / 46 Points --> FLA / @ BUF / NJ / @ FLA / @ CAR / NJ

9 - Winnipeg: 5 GR / 46 Points --> CAR / NYI / @ BUF / @ WAS / MTL

10 - Buffalo: 4 GR / 44 Points --> NYR / @ PIT / WPG / NYI

The odds are slim that Ottawa slips or Buffalo sneaks in...but possible.

So who would you least want to draw in Round 1? Preferred match up?

I want no part of the Rangers though they look like our most likely opponent if we hang on to the #1 seed. They remind me a lot of the Kings last year in so far as they'd sneek in as a #8 seed and have an all-Everything goaling in Lundqvist. They were pre-season Cup favorites in many circles which means the 'potential' to finally start playing up to expecations is there.

I'll take any of the Islanders, Jets or Sabres. On paper at least, the Pens should have no trouble disposing of them fairly easily.

Edited by B21

On paper at least, the Pens should have no trouble disposing of them fairly easily

Fortunately they play the games on ice... ;)

Likewise, I don't think you want any part of the Rangers in an opening series. Even if you win they will take their toll physically. The other team you don't want is Ottawa, especially if they get Erik Karlsson back as has been mooted.

If I were a Pens fan I would be fairly comfortable with the Isles, Jets or Sabres. That said I really don't see Buffalo making it to the playoffs but stranger things have happened. They were absolutely dire against the Flyers recently, offensively challenged doesn't begin to describe them.

Fortunately they play the games on ice... ;)

Likewise, I don't think you want any part of the Rangers in an opening series. Even if you win they will take their toll physically. The other team you don't want is Ottawa, especially if they get Erik Karlsson back as has been mooted.

If I were a Pens fan I would be fairly comfortable with the Isles, Jets or Sabres. That said I really don't see Buffalo making it to the playoffs but stranger things have happened. They were absolutely dire against the Flyers recently, offensively challenged doesn't begin to describe them.

Luckily I don't think we'd get the Sens but the combination of Karlsson and the revenge factor would scare me, too. It would make for great theatre.

As for the Rangers...we agree with emphasis on LUNDQVIST.