Redwings Playoff Streak

hf101

Will it end in 2013?

— Red Wings coach Mike Babcock on the franchise's streak of 21 straight seasons in the playoffs

"If you are Henrik Zetterberg and you are in your first year as a captain, you don't want it [to end] on your watch. If you are Mike Babcock in your eighth year of coaching, you don't want it on your watch. If you are any one of these players that has any stake in the Red Wings, especially the ones that have put in a ton of time, they don't want it on their watch either."

I hope not. 2 points down but two games at hand, 3 of the final 5 at home. We should sneak in.

But then what? We will be an 8 seed, we were swept in the regular season by the Black Hawks, will they sweep us in the post season? Has that ever happened before, a team sweeping another team regular and post season?

Ken Holland said before the season that he was not sure if there was enough talent on the team for the streak to continue, and then he added nothing to the team, let the guys die on the vine. His wonderful day has passed, new blood is needed to save this franchise. One and done stealing an 8 seed from the Blue Jackets or the Stars is not my idea of a good season. This team has more holes than swiss cheese and they better get it together in the off season or next year will be really, really ugly.

Polaris,

Living in central Ohio, I gotta tell ya the Jackets are damn fun to watch this year. Bob has been amazing, the Vezina is really not realistic but he has carried the club for six weeks. And they aggressively added key pieces at the deadline.

Polaris,

Living in central Ohio, I gotta tell ya the Jackets are damn fun to watch this year. Bob has been amazing, the Vezina is really not realistic but he has carried the club for six weeks. And they aggressively added key pieces at the deadline.

Can't help but cheer for the underdogs! And I do like the moves they've made.

I'm not rooting against the Wings so much as I'm rooting FOR the Jackets. If like to see them make it in.

Yeah - hate that it may be at the expense of the Wings but if given a choice I take the BJ every time.

I agree with @yave1964. A playoff berth this season would really only be to continue the streak. I think it would help the mentality of the players as Babcock mentioned in the interview quote from @hf101, but really that's it. The only real chance Detroit has, I feel, is if they win out the next three games, and manage to get into seventh place and meet Anaheim in the WCQF. After all, as of this morning, Columbus and Minnesota are tied in the standings. We've been able to play well against the Ducks this season (better than against the Blackhawks, anyway) so that presents a more plausible opportunity to advance

I agree with @yave1964. A playoff berth this season would really only be to continue the streak. I think it would help the mentality of the players as Babcock mentioned in the interview quote from @hf101, but really that's it. The only real chance Detroit has, I feel, is if they win out the next three games, and manage to get into seventh place and meet Anaheim in the WCQF. After all, as of this morning, Columbus and Minnesota are tied in the standings. We've been able to play well against the Ducks this season (better than against the Blackhawks, anyway) so that presents a more plausible opportunity to advance

I would love for the Wings to make the postseason this year, but if not, everything has to come to an end. The Wild have the easiest schedule going forward, unless they completely choke they should be a lock. That leaves the Wings, Stars and CBJ fighting for likely one spot.

The Stars face both the Wings and Jackets, so frankly their destiny is in their hands. They also face the Sharks tonight, really a must win (Go Sharks!!).

Detroit has the Kings who are rolling at home, the Predators who are listless and have lost eight in a row, and finish in Dallas. Columbus has Dallas in Dallas then finish at home against the aforementioned Predators.

Lets assume two points each for the Jackets and Wings against the Predators. to make it we need:

Sharks to beat Stars in regulation

Wings to Beat Kings

Stars to beat Jackets.

That would leave, point wise:

Jackets: 53

Wings 54

Stars 50

And this is with one game to go in Dallas. In this, the best scenario possible that game is moot. We can still make it a half dozen other ways, we have a game at hand against Columbus, and only down a point. Winning out gets us in no matter what anyone else does.

The key games to me, going forward are Sharks NEED to beat the Stars to bury them, we need to win against the Kings, and the Stars beat the Jackets. If all that happens, everything else is foregone.

Back to the Wild for a minute, I am not a fan of Danny Heatley, but wow are they a different team without him in the lineup. Since he went out, they have gone 3-5-1. They seem totally lost without him in their offense.