Milbury's Turn

B21

That's okay, no need to apoligize, I'm sure it makes you feel better after that earlier statement, we wouldn't want you to be sick on your keyboard..

I have my own love hate relationshiop with Cooke, as he is a Pen. I will call it as I see it, and on the Savard hit, I called it, it was dirty. I don't care whether it was within the "rules at the time". Its still dirty. But Savard DID come back from that hit. He played again. So the lable of a "career ender" is a little harsh. Did he contribute? Sure, but he did not end Savard's career. That would be like if Crosby got another concussion and had to retire, can we say that Stekel ended his career with that hit in the winter classic?

That's a fair point...I forgot he came back and then got noodled again. So yeah, that's a bit harsh..agreed.

IMO..I've seen players make that hit where the use their leg to 'wrap" the opponents leg, while using their upper body to check. It's hard to explain...without it sound like a dirty hit. Basically, the lower body wraps up while the upper body drives the players towards to boards/glass. To me, that's what Cooke was trying to do, but his leg ended up coming down on Eriksson's leg, not pushing his legs into the boards. Like I said, I know the hit I'm trying to explain in a very poor manner. But I'm not talking about a slewfoot.

I am not a Cooke apologist, but there was nothing dirty about that hit. It was a crappy outcome of a hockey play. Pure and simple.

I must now go shower with lye and a wool brush to scrub the dirty off me for defending Matt Cooke. :P

I know exactly what you are trying to describe. Aaron Ward did an analysis of two similar plays in the first few minutes of the game after the Pens/Sens that night (Dallas/Calgary). The intent is to pin the player up against the boards while delivering the check to delay his movement and/or pursuit of the puck for a few seconds...but not to get an interference call. Looks like Cooke lost his balance for a secord or two which threw things off.

Now go find some brillo pads. :)

That's okay, no need to apoligize, I'm sure it makes you feel better after that earlier statement, we wouldn't want you to be sick on your keyboard..

I have my own love hate relationshiop with Cooke, as he is a Pen. I will call it as I see it, and on the Savard hit, I called it, it was dirty. I don't care whether it was within the "rules at the time". Its still dirty. But Savard DID come back from that hit. He played again. So the lable of a "career ender" is a little harsh. Did he contribute? Sure, but he did not end Savard's career. That would be like if Crosby got another concussion and had to retire, can we say that Stekel ended his career with that hit in the winter classic?

Savard also had concussions prior to the hit (as well as after). Obviously, the Cooke hit didn't help but that's not the only hit that ended his career. If, for example, Crosby takes a head shot from Chris Neil the next time the Sens and Pens play and he never comes back from it, it's not just the Neil hit that did it. It's Neil, Hedman, Steckel, et al.

Not to be outdone by Jack Edward's, Mike Milbury decides he is not getting enough attention so cue the Matt Cooke rant...

By Allan Muir

Now that Alex Ovechkin is back in his good graces, NBC Sports analyst Mike Milbury has a new target: Pittsburgh forward Matt Cooke.

Milbury struggled to find the right words to describe his disdain for the edgy forward ahead of tonight’s game between the Pens and Sens. He did not have any trouble describing what he’d like to see, though.

“Should I try putrid? Cowardly? Because this guy’s a skunk, he’s a freakin’ skunk!” Milbury stammered. “I think somebody ought to set him straight and I hope it’s Ottawa tonight but if it doesn’t, I don’t care who it is.”

“They might have to do something, just like the rest of the league,” he continued.

Milbury acknowledged that Cooke had reformed his act somewhat after his vicious hit ended the career of Boston’s Marc Savard, but his game seems to be trending back towards the grey area after his hit on Erik Karlsson left the Ottawa defender with a sliced Achilles’ tendon. Case in point: his questionable hit on Boston’s Adam McQuaid on Saturday afternoon.

“That’s either a charley horse if you’re lucky or a knee [injury] if you’re not,” Milbury said of that collision. “It’s gutless and it should be out of the game.”

It’s been a banner week for Cooke haters. Boston announcer Jack Edwards was forced to apologize after comparing Cooke to Robert Kennedy assassin Sirhan Sirhan during Saturday’s broadcast.

I half expected him to segue into Bager Bob's "goonism" in the 1991 Conference Finals. I mean...that was only 22 years ago.

It's been 2 years, Mike. Cooke did the crime and then did the time and has been good ever since. STFU already. :)

Paging Don Cherry? Tortsies? Roenick? Did I forget any other blowhards who crave attention?

Matt Cooke deserves the negativity plain and simple. Has he "Cleaned" up his act? Maybe but why should a guy get rewarded for playing clean and not trying to cheap shot someone out of the league? Cooke is a Coward at best, and MOST, not all, Pens fans refuse to admit it therefor losing some cred IMO. Milbury is a total moron who does this in part because the networks want him going off. I can careless who a player plays for, when your a career cheap shot artist and hardly ever answer the call, you're a coward! Rinaldo gets crap by pens fans on here but you can't say he doesn't answer the bell. He's cleaned up his act this year but where is the props too him from Pens fans that you want for Cooke? Hypocrisy abound there. I know a lot of smart, knowledgeable Pens fans but this Cooke stance is plain stupid over a guy that's a punk !

Matt Cooke deserves the negativity plain and simple. Has he "Cleaned" up his act? Maybe but why should a guy get rewarded for playing clean and not trying to cheap shot someone out of the league? Cooke is a Coward at best, and MOST, not all, Pens fans refuse to admit it therefor losing some cred IMO. Milbury is a total moron who does this in part because the networks want him going off. I can careless who a player plays for, when your a career cheap shot artist and hardly ever answer the call, you're a coward! Rinaldo gets crap by pens fans on here but you can't say he doesn't answer the bell. He's cleaned up his act this year but where is the props too him from Pens fans that you want for Cooke? Hypocrisy abound there. I know a lot of smart, knowledgeable Pens fans but this Cooke stance is plain stupid over a guy that's a punk !

We've all said he was dirty. We all praise him for cleaning up his act. Anyone who doesn't approve of him cleaning up his act would have to be a moron. So... Which category do you fall into? That's pretty much it. You either want him clean or you want him dirty. We prefer him to play clean.

Now... How do you feel about Pronger?

WTF are you babbling about? I said multiple times he deserves the negativity! Here. In the thread when the Karlsson injury happened. So did @Polaris922. @nossagog wanted him traded.

"Maybe" Cooke has cleaned up his act? It's been two years since the 17 game suspension. Pray tell, how much time must pass before the haters can admit he's changed his game? Your team traded for Pronger during the offseason after his EIGHTH suspension. Didn't take long to absolve him, did it? If there is any hypocrisy - there it is. Yours.

As for the credibility of us Pens fans....ALL of us have said nothing more than he was a dirty POS who has clean up his act going on two years now. That's not hypocrisy - it's fact. None of us have defended anything has done.

Hypocrisy is the attitude of every...single...Flyer....fan....who raved about Chris Pronger. If I hear the word "warrior" and "leader" used to describe him again I might puke. Bigger POS than Cooke ever was or will be. But yeah...it's the Pens fans with no "credibility".

I'd also like to know....when have any of us Pens fan have said anything that is not true about Rinaldo? Lots of big clean hits and a few dirty ones. Also fact. And when have any of us said he never answers the bell? You made the accusation...now find it. I'll wait.

Back to Cooke not answering the bell....when didn't he? Neil? Why should he have to fight over a friggin' accident accident? He fought Thornton to answer for Savard. He fought Callahan AND later Drury to answer for the Anisimov hit. Any others? And how on Earth has he been rewarded? Because he was nominated for the Masterton???? You better pray that Pronger is not your nominee this year. Pray. I'll be all over that like flies on ****e I can promise you.

Seriosly, man. You don't like Cooke. We get it. No need to make things up to try and prove it. Certainly no need to make things up about the Pens fans here. All that babble and you end up looking like the hypocite trying to make a point by posting things that are just flat out false.

Well done.

• Like 1

WTF are you babbling about? I said multiple times he deserves the negativity! Here. In the thread when the Karlsson injury happened. So did @Polaris922. @nossagog wanted him traded.

"Maybe" Cooke has cleaned up his act? It's been two years since the 17 game suspension. Pray tell, how much time must pass before the haters can admit he's changed his game? Your team traded for Pronger during the offseason after his EIGHTH suspension. Didn't take long to absolve him, did it? If there is any hypocrisy - there it is. Yours.

As for the credibility of us Pens fans....ALL of us have said nothing more than he was a dirty POS who has clean up his act going on two years now. That's not hypocrisy - it's fact. None of us have defended anything has done.

Hypocrisy is the attitude of every...single...Flyer....fan....who raved about Chris Pronger. If I hear the word "warrior" and "leader" used to describe him again I might puke. Bigger POS than Cooke ever was or will be. But yeah...it's the Pens fans with no "credibility".

I'd also like to know....when have any of us Pens fan have said anything that is not true about Rinaldo? Lots of big clean hits and a few dirty ones. Also fact. And when have any of us said he never answers the bell? You made the accusation...now find it. I'll wait.

Back to Cooke not answering the bell....when didn't he? Neil? Why should he have to fight over a friggin' accident accident? He fought Thornton to answer for Savard. He fought Callahan AND later Drury to answer for the Anisimov hit. Any others? And how on Earth has he been rewarded? Because he was nominated for the Masterton???? You better pray that Pronger is not your nominee this year. Pray. I'll be all over that like flies on ****e I can promise you.

Seriosly, man. You don't like Cooke. We get it. No need to make things up to try and prove it. Certainly no need to make things up about the Pens fans here. All that babble and you end up looking like the hypocite trying to make a point by posting things that are just flat out false.

Well done.

We've all said he was dirty. We all praise him for cleaning up his act. Anyone who doesn't approve of him cleaning up his act would have to be a moron. So... Which category do you fall into? That's pretty much it. You either want him clean or you want him dirty. We prefer him to play clean.

Now... How do you feel about Pronger?

Pronger? Chris? He's got less penalty minutes than Cooke over the last 2 years.