Suspensions from Penguins-Islanders game?

krasy

Did not watch the game 4, but according to TSN boxscore:

20:00 Pittsburgh Evgeni Malkin: 5 minutes, fighting

20:00 NY Islanders Travis Hamonic: 5 minutes, fighting

Is the automatic one game suspension for fighting in last 5 minutes still on rule book?

As for Letang - he cross checks a linesman. Not hard, but still after he clearly saw who he was. Here is the video:

What is your opinion?

Edited by Digityman

Did not watch the game 4, but according to TSN boxscore:

20:00 Pittsburgh Evgeni Malkin: 5 minutes, fighting

20:00 NY Islanders Travis Hamonic: 5 minutes, fighting

Is the automatic one game suspension for fighting in last 5 minutes still on rule book?

Typically not when Evgeni Malkin is involved.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2009/news?id=4220529

@krasy

@radoran

No instigator this time. And the NHL put that rule in effect to prevent coaches from using goons to send messages at the end of a game. They've traditionally waived the rule in fights that break out spontaneously on the ice. This would be no different, but no instigator makes it a moot point.

Edited by Polaris922

@krasy

As for Letang we've covered it in a different topic but ... He and the linesman spoke after the incident and the linesman felt he'd bumped Letang first and Letang reacted to the dark helmet only. No note was made to the league by the linesman which is required for the league to act on it.

It's a moot point now, but can someone explain how there wasn't a 3rd man in on ****iz(I think) in that fight? They obviously got fighting majors, and someone flat out jumped into that scrum. I can't find video at the moment.

Ummm ..okay. That's usually what happens with a 3rd man in,ya know? :-D

My point is the refs deemed it a fight--since both players were assessed fighting majors-grabbing the opposing player while engaged is pretty clear. I'm not playing the "pens get the calls" card. I just think this was a lot more definitive than the cross check many others were complaining about.

As I said-moot point. Pens advance after next game

@krasy

At the time Kunitz grabs Hamonic Malkin still has his gloves on and Kunitz is trying to pull Hamonic away to protect his star center.

@DaGreatGazoo

The refs deemed it a fight.. .no argument. But I am of the thinking since Malkin still had his gloves on and wasn't throwing punches just facewashing they weren't considering it a fight at the time Kunitz grabs Hamonic and tries to pull him away. In other words, considering they weren't engaged in a fight at that point. Otherwise I dunno why they wouldn't see it that way unless they were just overwhelmed in all the scrums and didn't see everything?

@krasy

At the time Kunitz grabs Hamonic Malkin still has his gloves on and Kunitz is trying to pull Hamonic away to protect his star center.

You mean like goons do to send a message - do not *** with our star ;)

just kidding