Fleury for Carey Price?

Guest B21

I could wile away the hours

Conferrin' with the flowers

Consultin' with the rain

And my head I'd be scratchin'

While my thoughts were busy hatchin'

If I only had a brain

If you base it simply on the last three seasons playoffs, sure seems like it would be a good deal. But from the longterm standpoint, not sure why this seems so cut and dry to you guys. Yes I'm displeased with Fleury and would love to have a better "playoff" goalie, but trading Fleury for Price? Just look at their career stats, they're pretty much the same. Both have worse playoff stats than regular seasons stats. If I'm going to upgrade my goaltender, and muck with the core of the team, let me REALLY upgrade it.

I could wile away the hours

Conferrin' with the flowers

Consultin' with the rain

And my head I'd be scratchin'

While my thoughts were busy hatchin'

If I only had a brain

If you base it simply on the last three seasons playoffs, sure seems like it would be a good deal. But from the longterm standpoint, not sure why this seems so cut and dry to you guys. Yes I'm displeased with Fleury and would love to have a better "playoff" goalie, but trading Fleury for Price? Just look at their career stats, they're pretty much the same. Both have worse playoff stats than regular seasons stats. If I'm going to upgrade my goaltender, and muck with the core of the team, let me REALLY upgrade it.

Add to that - Price is on the books for a lot more years and with a cap hit about $1.5 million higher. Makes the straight up aspect more "fair".

That said, if I am dealing Fleury, I want to end up with more cap space. Not less.

@B21

Ya, I really didn't take the contract into account (which you have to but I didn't know it) I just consider Price better. His team has nowhere near the talent of Crosby/Malkin on it.

His teams may not have had the same offensive talent, but I think that over the long run I'd say Montreal's defensive would have been considered, well more defensive. Its always a wonder when you have a goaltender in an offensive/defensive minded system, an put him into the other situation. Would Fleury have been better off with a defense first team that limited chances instead of playing run and gun??? Who knows.

I say Fluery is better than Price. Period. I rate Price average. What is the status on Halak I wonder? Anyway, it kills me how coaches, fans and GM's are all ready to hang a guy for a bad game. Just look at the Bobrovsky thing in Philly. Now the guy is standing on his head. Of course nobody could have seen that coming. Goalies go in cycles just like scorers. I will tell you one thing, I say the pad thing will be addressed and next year the pads will be more like in the 70's. And they should be.

Except lately Fleury's cycles have been solid to great in the regular season (example: he carried the Pens 2nd half of 2010-11 when Malkin, Crosby, Staal and just about everyone else was hurt) but bad to horrendous to Bryzgalov-ish in the post season. That's not how to keep your job on a team that, when healthy, is pretty much Cup or bust.

So....Fleury for Ryan Miller? Another guy who needs a change of scenery.

@B21

Ya, I really didn't take the contract into account (which you have to but I didn't know it) I just consider Price better. His team has nowhere near the talent of Crosby/Malkin on it.

That will help win totals...and Cup totals. Not GAA and Save %. I agree - Price is better but the contract situation evens things up for me.

Not a deal I would do...too big a cap hit (Price) for me.