Smartest City in America? LOL

Guest Polaris922

I know this isn't hockey related... but I put it here because it's 'Burgh related... and I'm not so sure all the smarts they claim our city has applies to our hockey fanbase. Then again, sports are known to make thinking people act like animals.

http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Best-of-the-Burgh-Blogs/The-412/June-2013/Pittsburgh-Ranked-Smartest-City-in-America/

According to data on the 100 most populous cities in the U.S., Pittsburgh is the brainiest of the bunch.

Henry Ford once said that failure is simply the opportunity to begin again — this time more intelligently. That observation seems particularly relevant to Pittsburgh’s remarkable post-industrial transformation. For decades after the steel industry’s collapse, Pittsburgh was the butt of jokes (heck, even the rebooted “Arrested Development” hit the ’Burgh with a low blow recently).

While the rest of the world slept on our city, we rebuilt — this time more intelligently.

Now we’re the pound-for-pound smartest city in America, according to data compiled by Motovito. The prolific real-estate website mined data from the following criteria to formulate its rankings:

• Universities and colleges per person

• Libraries per person

• Education level

• Media per person (newspapers, TV, radio, magazines)

• Museums per person

• Public school rank

Pittsburgh topped the list of brainy cities, followed by Orlando; Washington, D.C.; Atlanta; and Honolulu.

You may also find it relevant that Baltimore was 38th on the list. Cleveland? 47th.

We’re an enlightened bunch, but we put in the perspiration, too. Two weeks ago, research firm Scarborough revealed that Pittsburgh has the highest newspaper readership rate in the nation. So take your outdated Pittsburgh jokes and stuff ’em, Ron Howard.

For the full rankings, including the methodology, head to Motovito.

http://www.movoto.com/blog/top-ten/smartest-cities/

Wow, Honollulu made the list, that's a bit surprising. I watch Drugs.Inc on the National Geographic station (great series and great station btw) and Honolulu has the worst meth problem of any major city in America...by far. It's like an epidemic that is out of control like a wildfire you can't put out. Either that list is tainted or meth makes you smarter....lol, and I don't think it's the latter.

@Polaris922

If you think about it, it's not that big of a surprise. Our biggest local industries are health care (UPMC, WPAHS) and technology (CONSOL, Bayer, GSK, Alcoa and Westinghouse among others). Two of the largest and most preminent law firms in the world have HQ here (ReedSmith and K&L Gates). Pitt is usually ranked among the top 20 public universities in the U.S....and of course, Carnegie Mellon.

For such a small region, that's a lot of smart people. Plus, you, me and @nossagog.

• Like 1

So, if there are so many smart people in Pittsburgh, why don't they do the smart thing... and move? :ph34r:

KIDDING..I KID...HONESTLY! ;)

Duh - because we all fit under the cap. ;)

Edit: Though I hear Polaris may be in line for an amnesty buyout. :D

Edited by B21

LMAO! For the record, I married a Pittsburgh girl. I also tell her--ALL THE TIME--if she would have been a Penguins fan, we wouldn't be married.

She thinks I'm kidding. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

What's the dollar amount if my remaining contract?? Gimme the percentage and I can tell you what you owe me!

LMAO! For the record, I married a Pittsburgh girl. I also tell her--ALL THE TIME--if she would have been a Penguins fan, we wouldn't be married.

She thinks I'm kidding. :rolleyes:

She must be able to see past the sweater. ;)