Schneider traded to the Devils for the #9 pick

hf101

Perfect pickup. Marty and Hedberg are eighty or close to it between them, Frazee is bombing as the goalie of the future, just giving up the ninth pick for Schneider is a great deal.

I am not going to say I know everything in the world about Horvat but he is ranked anywhere from 13th to 17th in every report I have seen, so the Canucks took less than what was offered by Edmonton (Cant blame them being in the same division) but then reaching for Horvat. Two years plus the 'Nucks have tried to trade a goalie and I think they bombed it when they finally pulled the trigger.

Winner: Devils

@yave1964 I don't think Horvat was a reach at #9. I thought he would go top 10 in his draft year from the moment I saw him. Blood and guts player with a compete level that is off the charts.

I love what Lou did here....instead of drafting Fucale to early, he goes out and gets a legit #1 goalie for his pick....a stroke of genius. Why take a risk on Marty's replacement when you can get a proven NHL tender right off the hop. It is really, really gonna suck for the Flyers to play this guy 6 times a year.

Edited by jammer2

@yave1964 I don't think Horvat was a reach at #9. I thought he would go top 10 in his draft year from the moment I saw him. Blood and guts player with a compete level that is off the charts.

I love what Lou did here....instead of drafting Fucale to early, he goes out and gets a legit #1 goalie for his pick....a stroke of genius. Why take a risk on Marty's replacement when you can get a proven NHL tender right off the hop. It is really, really gonna suck for the Flyers to play this guy 6 times a year.

I still believe Horvat was a bit of a reach here.

My big thing is the Canucks have allowed the goaltending nightmare to grow to such a distraction that IMHO it has helped ruin the past two seasons and after all of the rumors and insanity all Gillis was able to get was a first round pick. I think he blew it.

Looks like Marty Broduer may be close to retirement. This speaks volumes in that regard. The madness in Vancouver is over. Luongo is their guy. I think he had his bags packed. I wonder if he is ok with this?

Gillis flew down to Florida to 'discuss' things with Lu...the concensus is that he is not too happy (once he got over the shock) ...this is more than likely true, given that Lu has a rep for being a pretty emotional & sensitive guy. I think Cory was 1 up on him in that category, a very stable & level-headed player (particularly for a goalie!). A true professional, & a gentleman at that.