Wings sign Alfredsson | 1 year / $5.5M

Guest hf101

I also get this move. They must have been anticipating getting Alfie and Weiss or someone else at their level. That trade-off makes sense for sure.

I agree that Brunner is not yet worth what he is asking--although some other team will probably give it to him--so if we CAN'T get him back, then it makes sense. If we could still keep him (2.5M or so), I think I'd rather see him than a cheap blue-liner. But we can't so your idea makes sense.

Brunner, warts and all would be amazing at 2.5 million but someone will offer him more. We are on the same sheet of music, if we could get him back we could play it by ear with our lower end defense. Like you said tho someone will offer him more....

Not addressing anyone specifically in this thread, but there are a couple of advantages to this signing that speak to long-term planning perhaps even better than keeping Brunner would. I think that the Wings see bringing in Alfredsson as an opportunity to provide some added mentorship for a couple of the young players coming up next year, and more specifically Nyquist, while at the same time filling a team need on the wing. Alfredsson is a leadership presence, and their is no denying that, and I think they are as much paying him for that service as they are for his play on the ice. So I see him as somewhat of a stop-gap until Nyquist is ready to take on a bigger role.

• Like 4

@Haliax

Welcome and nice first post.

Yeah, I think it is a win - win signing for both Alfie and the Redwings. A little bit of Eastern conference wisdom is probably another plus for the Redwings moving to the East next season.

@hf101

Thank you for the welcome. :)

That is actually an aspect of the signing that I had not considered. While I've never really thought that the differences between conferences are as great as some seem to, he at least can provide feedback on players within the conference that the Red Wings have not seen much of.

It'll be an interesting season, that's for sure. I wonder how he will be treated in Ottawa when the Wings make a visit.

@hf101

Thank you for the welcome. :)/>

That is actually an aspect of the signing that I had not considered. While I've never really thought that the differences between conferences are as great as some seem to, he at least can provide feedback on players within the conference that the Red Wings have not seen much of.

It'll be an interesting season, that's for sure. I wonder how he will be treated in Ottawa when the Wings make a visit.

Again, welcome to the Forum!! Great to see another Wings fan in here!!

What I see for the Wings with the signing of Alfie is flexibility for next seasons free agent crop. He has proclaimed it is a one and done thing, he is retiring after the coming season, this frees money up for us to sign free agents next year. We have forward and blue line prospects, whoever doesn't pan out will be replaced with the money freed up next season. Smart move for tis year and next.

• Like 1

@Haliax Welcome to the board!! Nice first post. Realy nice to see us add to our already impressive list of WIngs fans in here, look forward to reading some more stuff from you. I live right across the river from Detriot, in Windsor Ont....I read the Detroit Free Press and News everyday, so I know a bit more than the average opposing fan does about the Wings. You certainly seem to know your stuff!

@yave1964

@jammer2

Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to getting to know everyone. I live just up the 401 from you Jammer, in Chatham.

And Yave, hopefully all their prospects pan out and we don't have to worry about signing anyone. ;)

But yeah, we do have some cap flexibility next year. It'll be interesting to see if Holland opts to use his second compliance buyout.

@Haliax

Good to have another one of the Good Guys on here!! ;-)

Insightful post. Hope to see more from you.

What I see for the Wings with the signing of Alfie is flexibility for next seasons free agent crop. He has proclaimed it is a one and done thing, he is retiring after the coming season, this frees money up for us to sign free agents next year. We have forward and blue line prospects, whoever doesn't pan out will be replaced with the money freed up next season. Smart move for tis year and next.

Agreed on all points, @yave1964.

@Haliax

I welcome you as well! Are numbers are beginning to swell! Maybe we'll overtake all the Flyers fans on this Board! Maybe not...

Echoing others, good post. The other "bonus" benefit to have Alfie on the team, which was pointed out by @hf101 is that come February, he's gotten half a season's worth of chemistry with the better part of the Swedish Olympic team. He might be just blessed enough to have his swan song include a Stanley Cup AND a gold medal.

I have also been wondering why Holland hasn't used the second buyout option. He's always been known to reserve his funds and options until a sure bet comes along, but he's been eagerly trying to move some staff around to make room for Danny Cleary. Cleary wants back in too, and reportedly turned down a higher offer from Dallas to stay a Red Wing. Holland's got another month or so to negotiate prior to training camp, but it seems that he'll use the buyout if he runs out of time. It seems likely that he's trying to deal any combination of Tootoo, Eaves, and Emmerton to clear up some cap space. But if nobody bites, he'll likely buy out Tootoo.

@Haliax

I welcome you as well! Are numbers are beginning to swell! Maybe we'll overtake all the Flyers fans on this Board! Maybe not...

Echoing others, good post. The other "bonus" benefit to have Alfie on the team, which was pointed out by @hf101 is that come February, he's gotten half a season's worth of chemistry with the better part of the Swedish Olympic team. He might be just blessed enough to have his swan song include a Stanley Cup AND a gold medal.

I have also been wondering why Holland hasn't used the second buyout option. He's always been known to reserve his funds and options until a sure bet comes along, but he's been eagerly trying to move some staff around to make room for Danny Cleary. Cleary wants back in too, and reportedly turned down a higher offer from Dallas to stay a Red Wing. Holland's got another month or so to negotiate prior to training camp, but it seems that he'll use the buyout if he runs out of time. It seems likely that he's trying to deal any combination of Tootoo, Eaves, and Emmerton to clear up some cap space. But if nobody bites, he'll likely buy out Tootoo.

Thanks for the welcome!

I think that is definitely part of Alfredsson's motivation in coming to Detroit. Hopefully him and Zetterberg do develop some good chemistry. Can you imagine a line of Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Alfredsson, with them all clicking? Would be really fun to watch.

Holland can't use his second compliance buyout until next June now. Holland is going to have to make room via regular waivers or trade. I don't really want to see Cleary back on the team. I appreciate what he has done for us up until this season, but I don't see room for him on the roster anymore. We have too many young players that look good enough to be on the roster. I think that Tatar could more than replace Cleary.

I don't really want to see Cleary back on the team. I appreciate what he has done for us up until this season, but I don't see room for him on the roster anymore. We have too many young players that look good enough to be on the roster. I think that Tatar could more than replace Cleary.

Though his numbers haven't been stellar lately, I've always seen Dan Cleary as a solid workhorse on that team. He leads by example, he grinds hard, he's in front of the net, he's chasing pucks. He's a huge leadership influence on the team just by his work ethic. I think that's the value of keeping Dan Cleary around. Granted, he'll probably hang 'em up in a few years, and by them Tomas Tatar will be in a permanent role.

@WingNut722 Cleary was a beast in the playoffs. He can grind it out with the best of them. He would be missed in playoff situations. There is no replacement for his mean streak and dogged determination. In general, he makes the Wings a tougher team to play against, which is never a bad thing.

• Like 1

I won't disagree with the fact that Cleary has redeeming qualities, but I do think that his effectiveness has come to the point where he is replaceable by a younger player. At some point you need to make room for prospects, and I think the time is now. Tatar needs a permanent spot on this team. It's wasted talent otherwise.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

I won't disagree with the fact that Cleary has redeeming qualities, but I do think that his effectiveness has come to the point where he is replaceable by a younger player. At some point you need to make room for prospects, and I think the time is now. Tatar needs a permanent spot on this team. It's wasted talent otherwise.

Just my opinion.

Tatar and Gus have to be regulars next season. Frankly I don't see a position in the rotation for Cleary, especially if Sammy and Bert are ever healthy at the same time. Tatar is out of options so the minors wont work, we need a veteran seventh d-man much more. Thanks for the memories Cleary, time to move on.
  • Like 1

Tatar and Gus have to be regulars next season. Frankly I don't see a position in the rotation for Cleary, especially if Sammy and Bert are ever healthy at the same time. Tatar is out of options so the minors wont work, we need a veteran seventh d-man much more. Thanks for the memories Cleary, time to move on.

What? No faith in Lashoff? But he plays realgud and is big! :P

Not sure what Babcock saw in Lashoff at first. Can't say that I'm all that enamored with him myself. I do think they need a top 4 dman rather than depth, but the point remains the same; forward is not really the position they need to add anymore.

There can be more room in the roster for both. Personally, I'd much rather have Dan Cleary than Patrick Eaves, or even Cory Emmerton (despite his filling in for Darren Helm. Jordin Tootoo also ended being a redundancy further in the season. Tatar and Gus will definitely have their time. Keep in mind that this is Alfie's last year, so another spot opens next season automatically.

There can be more room in the roster for both. Personally, I'd much rather have Dan Cleary than Patrick Eaves, or even Cory Emmerton (despite his filling in for Darren Helm. Jordin Tootoo also ended being a redundancy further in the season. Tatar and Gus will definitely have their time. Keep in mind that this is Alfie's last year, so another spot opens next season automatically.

Alfie signing for one year was brilliant, creates a sense of urgency. Keep in mind next year Ferraro, Sheahan and Jarmkrok will be where Tatar and Nyquist are now. Cleary on a two or three year deal ties up a roster spot, Bert and Sammy are gone like a cool breeze after this year but the minors are bursting with forwards. We desperately need a seventh d-man who is a step above Lashoff (granted that bar is set pretty low, lol) a lot more than we need to give Cleary a three year deal.

@yave1964

So figure by the end of this coming season:

Bertuzzi and Samuelsson are gone

Alfie retires

Tootoo is gone, either by trade or buyout

That leaves forwards looking like this:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader

XXXX-Weiss-Franzen

Miller-Helm-Eaves

XXXX-Emmerton-XXXXX

Fill the voids with Tatar, Nyquist, and a combination of Ferraro/Sheahan, depending on NHL-readiness. That leaves no room to pick up a top-6 forward at free agency next summer. Not sure that even Nyquist is ready to step into that role yet. Eaves would have to be traded, to allow a younger candidate to move up. Having so many hot prospects is good for dealing too. Can't expect all of them to don the Red-and-White

• Like 1

@WingNut722

I hope that Nyquist is ready to fill that role by then, because I'm not sure that he really fits in the bottom 6 at all. If not him, Tatar. And if not Tatar, we'd better do a little bit of trading because these guys aren't the prospects we think they are.