Perron traded to Oilers

Guest hf101

Looks like the Blues removed some salary as they traded David Perron and his 3.8M cap hit to the Oilers for 22yr old Magnus Paajarvi and a second round pick.

Maybe it looks to be an even trade on paper as the Perron looks to be a nice fit on the second line of the Oilers with Gagner and Yakupov. But Perron has missed nearly a season with a concussion, and Paajarvi maybe can rejuvenate his game under Hitch. So time will tell.

But for now the Blues need to clear some cap space as Stewart and Pietrangelo still need to be signed.

Looks like the Blues removed some salary as they traded David Perron and his 3.8M cap hit to the Oilers for 22yr old Magnus Paajarvi and a second round pick.

We'll see they have to resign him first...but they did get younger.

How I see it (in point form)

-Paajarvi is a decent possession player (started well last year, and slipped as the year went on, but wasn't bad at all), but Perron is better at this, has been for longer, and has a much better established level of offense. Additionally, Perron did it playing the 4th toughest minutes among forwards, with middling zone starts. Good player.

-My concern with Paajarvi was always the offense. He showed signs, last year, of being willing to move into tough scoring areas. Hopefully for his sake he continues to, because he has kind of a muffin of a shot.

-David Perron is a better hockey player than Magnus Paajarvi. Right now, and most likely for the foreseeable future. The fact is that, unless you've had a good offensive year by 21, you're most likely never going to have a big offensive year. Players don't usually just "figure out" how to score points.

-The draft pick represents about a 25% chance to get a real NHL player, who would be well down the road even if he does work out. Don't throw them away, but I have no problem with using them to improve your team right now. Right now is what the Oilers need. The clock (Taylor Hall's 6 year deal) is ticking as we speak.

-I'd have preferred it if the Oilers signed Grabovski, played him at 2C, moved Gagner to 2LW, and played PRV at 3LW. He's a natural fit there, and I have problems with making Ryan Jones a tough minute winger.

-It's easy to look at PRV and say he turned the corner offensively, but look at that shooting percentage: 12%, which is twice his career average coming into last season. It doesn't seem reasonable to expect him to repeat that performance, particularly when he was never a real shooter at any level.

The old adage stands that the team who got the best player wins, and my honest opinion is that it was the Oilers who got that player here.

JR

• Like 1

How I see it (in point form)

-Paajarvi is a decent possession player (started well last year, and slipped as the year went on, but wasn't bad at all), but Perron is better at this, has been for longer, and has a much better established level of offense. Additionally, Perron did it playing the 4th toughest minutes among forwards, with middling zone starts. Good player.

-My concern with Paajarvi was always the offense. He showed signs, last year, of being willing to move into tough scoring areas. Hopefully for his sake he continues to, because he has kind of a muffin of a shot.

-David Perron is a better hockey player than Magnus Paajarvi. Right now, and most likely for the foreseeable future. The fact is that, unless you've had a good offensive year by 21, you're most likely never going to have a big offensive year. Players don't usually just "figure out" how to score points.

-The draft pick represents about a 25% chance to get a real NHL player, who would be well down the road even if he does work out. Don't throw them away, but I have no problem with using them to improve your team right now. Right now is what the Oilers need. The clock (Taylor Hall's 6 year deal) is ticking as we speak.

-I'd have preferred it if the Oilers signed Grabovski, played him at 2C, moved Gagner to 2LW, and played PRV at 3LW. He's a natural fit there, and I have problems with making Ryan Jones a tough minute winger.

-It's easy to look at PRV and say he turned the corner offensively, but look at that shooting percentage: 12%, which is twice his career average coming into last season. It doesn't seem reasonable to expect him to repeat that performance, particularly when he was never a real shooter at any level.

The old adage stands that the team who got the best player wins, and my honest opinion is that it was the Oilers who got that player here.

JR

Stay Away, the Sharks want him :)

There are a few names still out there that the sharks could look at to fill their depth problem. i am still estranged by the Idea that our Big Defenseman Brent Burns has moved to wing. Dan Boyle is not getting any younger.

Stay Away, the Sharks want him :)

There are a few names still out there that the sharks could look at to fill their depth problem. i am still estranged by the Idea that our Big Defenseman Brent Burns has moved to wing. Dan Boyle is not getting any younger.

How about Dan Cleary? Had the 2nd lowest zone starts on DET, was a possession positive player last year, has an established history of playing tough comp, and could probably be had on the cheap.

No. Stay away. I want him in EDM.

JR

I'm still a little confused by this trade. Not a bad one for Edmonton, but it just seems like the type of player they didn't need. Of course, I don't claim to be an Oilers expert.

Blues get extra cap and take a bit of a gamble on Paajarvi.

I think this is just one of those situations where the Oilers saw an opportunity to turn one player into a better one; one who would ordinarily be a lot more expensive to acquire. I agree that they have bigger issues (centre depth, lack of top end defenseman) but it's always good to get better.

Turned a 3LW into a true 2LW (something they didn't have). Pretty good.

JR