Jake Paterson has stellar rookie camp....

jammer2

Any of you Wings fan see this? I saw him play once last year, on my OHL Action pack. Pretty solid prospect. As early as next year, the young Wing goalies Murasek and Paterson will compete for the right to be the next heir apparent in Detroit....even though Howard just signed a long term deal, anything can happen in the zany world of the NHL. All of a sudden, goaltending depth is a strength, they built up pretty fast, cause there was not a whole lot there a few years back.

I suppose they could eventually deal one of them to shore up a team weakness. Of course, the risk is making a Rask/Pogge call that haunts the team for years...but this is Holland we are talking about, he will keep the right one, should they even make a move at all. Nothing wrong with holding unto both of them and having obscene depth in Grand Rapids. Nice problem to have.

http://www.freep.com...-saginaw-spirit

Edit, he was the 3rd goalie for the Canadian World Jr team last December. He has a decent shot to be one of the top 2 this time around.

Edited by jammer2

It is good to hear that the organization is impressed by his play. After the disappointment that McCollum turned out to be, the Wings were in pretty bad shape in terms of goaltending depth. Hopefully he does well in the AHL, that'll be the real test when he gets there.

Holland doesn't always make the right choice. Exhibit A: keeping Meech over Quincey, and then back tracking by making that horrible trade to get him back, giving up a first overall pick. Pure mismanagement of assets right there. I also think they misplayed their cards with Mursak.

@Haliax ha, had forgotten about the Meech/Quincy controversey...but that is not like selecting the wrong franchise tender, but agreed, when a first rounder is used in the transaction, it's painful and a mismanagement. I remember there not being any real veteran upgrades back then on defense, so he overpaid for the devil he knew.

"I also think they misplayed their cards with Mursak"

How so, he's still under contract, right? Is there a split between the two parties?

@jammer2

Yeah, it isn't quite the same, but certainly similar.

Mursak has left for the KHL. And I don't blame him. Detroit certainly wasn't going to give him a real look anymore.

EDIT: to be clear, I'm talking about Mursak the forward, not Mrazek the goaltender. :)

Edited by Haliax

Low draft picks and yet our farm system is positively bursting at the seams. Little nervous about Nill stealing a portion of the brain trust away to Dallas but I feel very good about what we have down on the farm right now. Guys like Mursak and Billins were allowed to move on even though they are okay prospects because so much depth just flat out pushed them away. And now we have the two goalies as well. Wow.

Whatever happened to Manny Legace? :P/>

Bounced around after leaving Detroit, great regular season goalie poor post season player. Finished up a few years ago after playing for the Blues and Canes by going back to the AHL post lockout, laying the better part of three years in the minors and even one over in Europe. The guy flat out is hated by many Wings fans and has a fairly well deserved rep as a choke artist.

@yave1964

I never really considered Billins a prospect anyways, I think he only had a contract with the Griffins, didn't he? He might do well with the Flames, but I really only see him as a career AHL player. I felt like Mursak could be more, but I understand why he left for the KHL. Bit of a log jam at forward for us.

@yave1964

I never really considered Billins a prospect anyways, I think he only had a contract with the Griffins, didn't he? He might do well with the Flames, but I really only see him as a career AHL player. I felt like Mursak could be more, but I understand why he left for the KHL. Bit of a log jam at forward for us.

Being a loal boy I have been rooting for billins. Frankly I could see him in a seventh blue liner role with a bad club, signing with Calgary gives him that chance. I was surprised to see us let him go after leading blue line scoring for Grand Rapids n his first pro season, not saying he is the next Lidstrom but has shown growth at Ferris state and with the Griffins. His size or lack thereof is his kryptonite though.

@yave1964

His size was definitely something that was going to hold him back. I think that they probably wanted him back in Grand Rapids, but the Wings didn't have enough contract space to give him a NHL contract, they are already at the 50 contract limit. So it was probably more his decision looking for a 2-way contract. And the Wings have a lot of pretty great defensive prospects that are turning pro next season- Jensen, Nedomlel, Sproul, Marchenko, and Ouellet. Something had to give, I guess. I hope the guy has success with the Flames and makes the big squad, I just don't really think he has it in him.

@yave1964

His size was definitely something that was going to hold him back. I think that they probably wanted him back in Grand Rapids, but the Wings didn't have enough contract space to give him a NHL contract, they are already at the 50 contract limit. So it was probably more his decision looking for a 2-way contract. And the Wings have a lot of pretty great defensive prospects that are turning pro next season- Jensen, Nedomlel, Sproul, Marchenko, and Ouellet. Something had to give, I guess. I hope the guy has success with the Flames and makes the big squad, I just don't really think he has it in him.

For the most part agree with all of that, I watched quite a few G.R. games during the lockout, and Billins reminded me of a diamond in the rough, a late bloomer ala Rafalski. Do I think he could be a Rafalski? No, not really, but an NHL seventh or eighth blue liner with a little bit of offensive talent, sure. Cant be worse than Lashoff, but of course Babs thinks that Lashoff has great size which makes him realguud.
  • Like 1

For the most part agree with all of that, I watched quite a few G.R. games during the lockout, and Billins reminded me of a diamond in the rough, a late bloomer ala Rafalski. Do I think he could be a Rafalski? No, not really, but an NHL seventh or eighth blue liner with a little bit of offensive talent, sure. Cant be worse than Lashoff, but of course Babs thinks that Lashoff has great size which makes him realguud.

Yeah. Realgud Lashoff. I really hope we don't end up running with him as the 7th defenceman, because I don't see him as someone we can rely on, and we're going to need someone when we inevitably run into injury problems.

• Like 1

Yeah. Realgud Lashoff. I really hope we don't end up running with him as the 7th defenceman, because I don't see him as someone we can rely on, and we're going to need someone when we inevitably run into injury problems.

I would love to see us sign Kuba as a seventh d-man, still talented but old enough to understand his role. Douglas Murray was my first choice but my understanding from what I have read is he wants around 4 million a year and may even wind up back in Sweden if he cannot get it.

@yave1964

I don't think Murray is a great choice, I don't think that he is as effective as he used to be. Kuba might be okay. I don't really know, I've been hoping that they would make a move to get a top 4 defenseman, but I don't know how feasible that is anymore.

Edited by Haliax