Who is the Leafs best defenceman?

I think just for pure skating and skill set, I'd take Gardiner, but he won't be without rookie mistakes etc . I'd have to begrudgeingly say Phaneuf, cause he is the one taking on the top opposition and playing the real though minutes right now. I don't know if the other d-men would not wilt under the pressure or not. There is a lot to not like about Phaneuf, but he is taking on the other top forwards, so that's something. Sad, that your best d-man is a pylon....LOL!

• Like 1

The other thing that really sparked this question to me was the fact that rumours of trading Franson are coming up and a few on trading phaneuf. To me Phaneuf is way overpaid and although he does play against the big boys and what not he's too slow, doesn't shutdown players as well as he should, doesn't hit the scoreboard as much as he should. He is a great second line d-man or even first if he isn't given such a big role, but I feel for the money he is making and the role he is given he should contribute more. If you're going to make high end money you should be either an offensive or defensive machine and he isn't really either.

As for Gardiner give him a couple more years and he will be dominant. He is great now but still more to learn and work on, but obviously will be a great defenseman.. arguably their most valuable asset.

Phaneuf is way overpaid, and if I was Leaf management, I'd would not even consider re-upping him for another contract. I'd ship him out of town so quick his head would spin and not think twice about it. This will be the first real test for Nonis, whether to resign Dion.

I think Cody is perfect for a second tier pairing. If he had to play against top compitition, I think he would wilt under the pressure. His skating is pretty suspect. Love his shot, accurate and hard...but top pairing, I'm not seeing it.

yea, but I wouldnt say his skating is any worse than Dion.. I think getting rid of Dion could free up space and allow money for more assets. I also think given the chance Franson could step up.. he's still very young and has a bit of maturing to do, I think he could still grow into a more elite dman

As goofy and awkward as Phagoof can be he is easily the Leafs best overall defenseman. No contest.

Think of it this way: A Leaf defense without Franson is manageable (although I'd miss him). A Leaf defense without Phaneuf is putrid. If he is traded we better have some defense coming back (or really be hoping a prospect or two steps up in a big way).

Guys like Gardiner, Rielly and maybe even Franson still have the potential to surpass Dion, but that's by no means a sure thing. He gets paid a lot and gets a lot of hate (unjustified) and ridicule (more justified), but there's no doubt the Leafs need him.

@Commander Clueless

I can't see any team trading for Phaneuf with that contract. I could see plenty of teams trading for him at the deadline, with that contract expiring.

Maybe, and I agree Phaneuf would probably traded around the deadline were he to be traded at all. However, I honestly think you'd be hard pressed to get him to sign for much less than his current contract given today's market. But that is, of course, IMO.

The scariest part is seeing the Leafs defense right now without Phaneuf. Horribad.