Guest JR Ewing

17 members have voted

1. 1. Well, did he?

• Yes
    • No
    • The Code is dumb

@radoran

@CommanderClueless

Carlyle had last change. He put his top scoring line smeared with 30,000 pounds of mashed bananas in the cage with a hungry gorilla.......What did he truthfully expect? This was not the first time Kessel has used his stick as a weapon and it is not going to surprise me when he gets abused by Rinaldo(clean checks until Kessel responds with yet another slash) when they play the Flyers. THAT will also be the biggest mistake of Kessel's career as Rinaldo will destroy him.

@Commander Clueless

Carlisle made a bad choice sending out his top line in this situation. I'm not condoning what Scott did. But we all saw the Leafs send goons out many times last year for one reason only. And they didn't care who was on the ice. This time it bit them in the arse.

Take numbers, you'll play them again.

It was probably a mistake because of what Scott was determined to do, but I think the idea of sending out non-fighters to not stir up trouble isn't a mistake if you are trying to calm things down. I still think if he sent out fighters he would've been criticized for raising tension so either way he was getting criticism. Like you pointed out, Carlyle sending out goons gets him criticized too.

Carlyle also plays McLaren and Orr a lot, and not just for fighting. They play an energy game with McClement being the defensive anchor. I don't recall them doing what Scott did when sent out there against scoring lines (I could've missed it of course) and if I did, I would say the same thing about them that I did about Scott. I do recall them getting scored on when against scoring lines.  ;)

@radoran

@CommanderClueless

Carlyle had last change. He put his top scoring line smeared with 30,000 pounds of mashed bananas in the cage with a hungry gorilla.......What did he truthfully expect? This was not the first time Kessel has used his stick as a weapon and it is not going to surprise me when he gets abused by Rinaldo(clean checks until Kessel responds with yet another slash) when they play the Flyers. THAT will also be the biggest mistake of Kessel's career as Rinaldo will destroy him.

Truthfully, he probably didn't expect Scott to jump Kessel. Because that's against "the code" so to speak (attempting to fight a non-fighter who, at that point in time, hadn't done anything dirty isn't usually considered acceptable behaviour from an enforcer). He's not the first coach to send a non-fighter line out of tensions arise. I can understand people not being sympathetic with Carlyle as he tends to be THAT type of coach, but it doesn't mean this was some sort of unprecedented monumental mistake. I'm not a big Carlyle fan but I wouldn't have expected Scott to do what he did from a fan perspective. Also, when was the last time Kessel used his stick as a weapon? I honestly don't recall.

Also, when was the last time Kessel used his stick as a weapon? I honestly don't recall.

Against the Flyers in pre-season play.  Part of the reason he got tthe 3 games because of these prior incidents this pre - season.

see shanny's video.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&intcmpid=nhl-hp-vidchn-safety

Granted no one here is defending Scott or Rolston for putting Scott on the ice.  But I do think the refs will be calling closely those removing their own or another's helmet to fight.

this just in.....

@BuffNewsVogl

Corey Tropp has a broken jaw, Sabres coach Ron Rolston said, as a result of fight in Toronto. He's had surgery an is out indefinitely.

Truthfully, he probably didn't expect Scott to jump Kessel. Because that's against "the code" so to speak (attempting to fight a non-fighter who, at that point in time, hadn't done anything dirty isn't usually considered acceptable behaviour from an enforcer). He's not the first coach to send a non-fighter line out of tensions arise. I can understand people not being sympathetic with Carlyle as he tends to be THAT type of coach, but it doesn't mean this was some sort of unprecedented monumental mistake. I'm not a big Carlyle fan but I wouldn't have expected Scott to do what he did from a fan perspective. Also, when was the last time Kessel used his stick as a weapon? I honestly don't recall.

I think the idea that Scott "jumped" Kessel is a little much. Kessel wasn't just standing around waiting for the faceoff when suddenly a 6'8" goon appeared on his back out of the clear blue sky. He was actively engaged with Scott. Again, the video exists.

There's nothing "unprecedented" or "monumental" about it. It was a stupid move. These things happen.

But anyone who thought that the pugilistic pylon was out there to take a regular shift and just go along to get along was clearly fooling themselves. Scott knew his role and he played it.

Truthfully, he probably didn't expect Scott to jump Kessel. Because that's against "the code" so to speak (attempting to fight a non-fighter who, at that point in time, hadn't done anything dirty isn't usually considered acceptable behaviour from an enforcer). He's not the first coach to send a non-fighter line out of tensions arise.

No, he was not. BUT, having the last change and Rolston already putting a VERY vocal Scott(who I am no particular fan of) on the ice meant that fecal matter was about to impact the air churning device. Carlyle ignored every obvious sign as to what was going to happen. Who knows...maybe Carlyle was mad at Kessel for something....... :o

Against the Flyers in pre-season play.  Part of the reason he got tthe 3 games because of these prior incidents this pre - season.

see shanny's video.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=60&intcmpid=nhl-hp-vidchn-safety

Oh I see. Missed that game. Looks like Phil is angry this year.

I think the idea that Scott "jumped" Kessel is a little much. Kessel wasn't just standing around waiting for the faceoff when suddenly a 6'8" goon appeared on his back out of the clear blue sky. He was actively engaged with Scott. Again, the video exists.

There's nothing "unprecedented" or "monumental" about it. It was a stupid move. These things happen.

But anyone who thought that the pugilistic pylon was out there to take a regular shift and just go along to get along was clearly fooling themselves. Scott knew his role and he played it.

Oh agreed. I only use "jumped" because that's apparently what Scott called it. Not like he started throwing punches.

I realize what Kessel did. Chirping and jostling at the faceoff happens all the time and doesn't mean the player is willing to fight - especially considering it's freakin' Phil Kessel. You know, Phil "Soft As Butter" Kessel. I don't pretend he was innocent or didn't exasperate the situation, but that still doesn't mean Scott should have tried to fight him unless he was planning on escalating the situation.

If Scott's role was to start a brawl, then he played it perfectly and it's no wonder Rolston was fined. If Scott's role is to be an "enforcer", then he's doing it wrong. My two cents.

And to me, there's a big difference between expecting him to "get along" and expecting him not to try to fight your star forward. Scott claimed to be trying to "send a message", but to me that is a stupid message. Apparently to him, an injury during a fight means the other team is being dirty and so he's going to go after non-fighting stars....

No, he was not. BUT, having the last change and Rolston already putting a VERY vocal Scott(who I am no particular fan of) on the ice meant that fecal matter was about to impact the air churning device. Carlyle ignored every obvious sign as to what was going to happen. Who knows...maybe Carlyle was mad at Kessel for something....... :o

Sign that contract extension or we're throwing you to the lions! ;)

Oh agreed. I only use "jumped" because that's apparently what Scott called it. Not like he started throwing punches.

I realize what Kessel did. Chirping and jostling at the faceoff happens all the time and doesn't mean the player is willing to fight - especially considering it's freakin' Phil Kessel. You know, Phil "Soft As Butter" Kessel. I don't pretend he was innocent or didn't exasperate the situation, but that still doesn't mean Scott should have tried to fight him unless he was planning on escalating the situation.

If Scott's role was to start a brawl, then he played it perfectly and it's no wonder Rolston was fined. If Scott's role is to be an "enforcer", then he's doing it wrong. My two cents.

And to me, there's a big difference between expecting him to "get along" and expecting him not to try to fight your star forward. Scott claimed to be trying to "send a message", but to me that is a stupid message. Apparently to him, an injury during a fight means the other team is being dirty and so he's going to go after non-fighting stars....

Again, watch the video. They are not "lined up" for a faceoff. They are all skating around.

This isn't two guys standing next to each other waiting for the puck to drop and clashing sticks together. This is two guys skating around chirping at each other.

Rolston deserved to be fined. Scott's a goon.

Again, watch the video. They are not "lined up" for a faceoff. They are all skating around.

This isn't two guys standing next to each other waiting for the puck to drop and clashing sticks together. This is two guys skating around chirping at each other.

Rolston deserved to be fined. Scott's a goon.

I did re-watch the video. They were lining up for the faceoff. You can clearly see the centers and ref on the bottom of the screen lining up for faceoff.

It's not like Kessel sought out Scott to chirp at him like you make it sound - that's his spot for the faceoff - right wing position.

Also didn't see much chirping on Kessel's part. Scott initiated the conversation. Kessel raised his arm first (not sure why but apparently in response to Scott's threat according to his interview. Who knows?) but didn't even really "jostle" him.

You see much worse chirping and jostling on a regular basis without Scott's spastic reaction.

Second slash by Kessel was completely unnecessary and definitely suspension worthy. Don't understand preseason suspension though - what's the point of that? Might as well have not suspended him at all.

• Like 1

You see much worse chirping and jostling on a regular basis without Scott's spastic reaction.

Second slash by Kessel was completely unnecessary and definitely suspension worthy. Don't understand preseason suspension though - what's the point of that? Might as well have not suspended him at all.

Right, but Scott was already agitated, again, before Carlyle put his guys on the ice. It's not like we can pretend this was some bolt from the blue that caught everyone by surprise.

And the preseason suspension for deliberately slashing a guy in the back of the legs while he is in a fight with another player is beyond a joke. Then, of course, we add the spear.

Classy guy, that Kessel.

Right, but Scott was already agitated, again, before Carlyle put his guys on the ice. It's not like we can pretend this was some bolt from the blue that caught everyone by surprise.

And the preseason suspension for deliberately slashing a guy in the back of the legs while he is in a fight with another player is beyond a joke. Then, of course, we add the spear.

Classy guy, that Kessel.

Scott can be agitated all he wants. Still instigated the whole thing and picked a really stupid target unless targeting stars was the point. Which it may have been ("Code" - breaker). Still seems pretty stupid that he would escalate it that far after one meaningless preseason tryout fight.

Looking at the video, Kessel certainly seemed to be caught by surprise. :P

Phil Kessel has never been classy, but that stickwork is disappointing as a fan. Don't think he's a dirty player but that was certainly crossing a line.

Wanted to add I wouldn't really consider Kessel's move there a "spear" personally. When I hear spear I think jabbing with intent to injure. That was little more than a poke. Still not smart considering what had just happened and worthy of Kessel's ensuing penalty, but nothing major in my opinion. Unlike the slash.

Also, Scott wasn't in a fight with another player. He was in a fight with ALL the other players. ;)

Edited by Commander Clueless

Scott can be agitated all he wants. Still instigated the whole thing and picked a really stupid target unless targeting stars was the point. Which it may have been ("Code" - breaker). Still seems pretty stupid that he would escalate it that far after one meaningless preseason tryout fight.

Looking at the video, Kessel certainly seemed to be caught by surprise. :P

Phil Kessel has never been classy, but that stickwork is disappointing as a fan. Don't think he's a dirty player but that was certainly crossing a line.

Wanted to add I wouldn't really consider Kessel's move there a "spear" personally. When I hear spear I think jabbing with intent to injure. That was little more than a poke. Still not smart considering what had just happened and worthy of Kessel's ensuing penalty, but nothing major in my opinion. Unlike the slash.

Also, Scott wasn't in a fight with another player. He was in a fight with ALL the other players. ;)

There's evidence of Kessel doing similar things with his stick present in this very thread. He's a repeat offender and his "suspension" is a stone cold joke.

Then there's this great shot of Kessel "defending himself" and trying to "defuse" the situation:

http://thehockeyguys.net/putting-foil-jsaquella-goon-thankfully-endangered-species/

Classy guy, Phil Kessel. What was it you think prompted the spear at that point? The fact that Scott was in a fight with Clarkson or that the Ref was giving him a bear hug?

JSaq puts some pretty darn good points there.

There's evidence of Kessel doing similar things with his stick present in this very thread. He's a repeat offender and his "suspension" is a stone cold joke.

Then there's this great shot of Kessel "defending himself" and trying to "defuse" the situation:

http://thehockeyguys.net/putting-foil-jsaquella-goon-thankfully-endangered-species/

Classy guy, Phil Kessel. What was it you think prompted the spear at that point? The fact that Scott was in a fight with Clarkson or that the Ref was giving him a bear hug?

JSaq puts some pretty darn good points there.

Don't think Kessel was defusing the situation. I think Kessel was pissed. I think Carlyle was trying to defuse it (in his own words) by sending Kessel out. Clearly coach and player were out of sync here.

Not defending the "spear", just saying I think it was blown out of proportion and not worthy of anything more than the match penalty Kessel was already assessed.

Don't think Kessel was defusing the situation. I think Kessel was pissed. I think Carlyle was trying to defuse it (in his own words) by sending Kessel out. Clearly coach and player were out of sync here.

Not defending the "spear", just saying I think it was blown out of proportion and not worthy of anything more than the match penalty Kessel was already assessed.

It's not a worthy action of a hockey player.