Olli Maatta

Polaris922

On the bright side of Letang's absence... Olli Maatta has been excellent.  Who would have thought that a kid only 19 by two months would look so comfortable in his role already?  The kid seems to make solid decisions and is playing defense first, not worrying about the offensive side of his game yet, as it should be.  The kid looks right at home out there, and is a true pleasure to watch already.  I love seeing a young kid step up and show his worth to a team right from the start.  He's getting roughly 15 minutes per game and is even so far.  Is he standing out with statistics?  No... but watching him play has been a treat.  He's been against Zetterberg and out worked him in the corners.  Against the Devils and stayed so solid defensively Bylsma had him on the ice against Jagr and Ryder...  The kid just looks NHL ready already.  Imagine what a season or two in the minors will do for his confidence and ability?   And his strong suit is supposed to be his offensive creativity?  

• Like 1

On the bright side of Letang's absence... Olli Maatta has been excellent.  Who would have thought that a kid only 19 by two months would look so comfortable in his role already?  The kid seems to make solid decisions and is playing defense first, not worrying about the offensive side of his game yet, as it should be.  The kid looks right at home out there, and is a true pleasure to watch already.  I love seeing a young kid step up and show his worth to a team right from the start.  He's getting roughly 15 minutes per game and is even so far.  Is he standing out with statistics?  No... but watching him play has been a treat.  He's been against Zetterberg and out worked him in the corners.  Against the Devils and stayed so solid defensively Bylsma had him on the ice against Jagr and Ryder...  The kid just looks NHL ready already.  Imagine what a season or two in the minors will do for his confidence and ability?   And his strong suit is supposed to be his offensive creativity?  

I was really impressed the first two games. Has alot of composure, needs to just understand NHL speed better.  He's probably going to go back to juniors to save his rookis status before the 10 games is up.

I was really impressed the first two games. Has alot of composure, needs to just understand NHL speed better. He's probably going to go back to juniors to save his rookis status before the 10 games is up.

Fully expect him to go back down, which I think is best. But even Bylsma said "he sure doesn't look 19 out there" and said he's been making a case to play in the NHL since the middle of last season. Tonight he had two assists and was part of a shooting gallery shift against Ward. I'm super impressed with the kid so far.

@Polaris922

No,no,nooooooo! Keep him in Pittsburgh. Please!

He's a smart player. I'm surprised he's doing so well defensively and not much offensively cause his game is actually the exact opposite. Good for him.

But puh-leeez, don't send him back to London!

He's good as gone...   LOL