Shark Attack!

goalnut3133

Horrific...just horriffic. The identical score to the game 1 week ago?? A 4-1 shellacking once again. I missed the 1st period and a half or so, due to the Bears/Giants game knocking out our programming (thanks a lot Sportsnet!), so caught the game at score of just 2-1 about mid-way into the 2nd. I thought we had some hope (at least it wasn't 9-2 at this point!).  Then about 12 mins in, Marleau makes it 3-1, & the Nucks pretty much deflated after that. Besides a pretty good couple shifts with our 4th line keeping the puck deep in the Sharks' zone & hemming them in for several minutes later into the 2nd, though nothing to show for it, our team pretty much disappeared for the remainder of the night. 

The one bright spot again...3rd line forward Santorelli, earning now a spot on the wing with the Sedins due to his recent goal production for us, scored once again, his 3rd in a row (1 goal in each of 3 games), about halfway into the 2nd with a nice tip-in from a good pass from d- Stanton. He earned 3rd star in the game.

Another plus in our favour is our strong PK...none of the goals scored by the Sharks were on a PP. We've killed off all 18 PP's against us this season. It's a good thing too, as we still need work in avoiding the penalty box.

I'm not sure what Torts was thinking, pulling Lu with 3 mins still left in the game, & us winning only 40% of the face-offs all nite, I just knew that was trouble, & sure enough, Sharks scored on the empty net, making it 4-1. The cherry on top.  

I did however like the fact that TMNH couldn't score on Lu all nite, though he tried several times. Edler in fact, nearly took his head off on a rush for the puck, knocking Hertl's helmet off. So that was sort of a nice consolation but I'd much rather see the results on the board. 

11 games lost from the Shark-attack & counting....somebody pull us out of the water NOW!!   :(

I actually split the center ice package with my brother in law and he is a HUGE sharks fan. I have to admit that I root for them as long as they are not playing the Flyers. They have a solid mix of youth and veterans at this point and they are going to be a team to be reckoned with once again this year. Right now, the Nucks are in the same boat as the Flyers, a new coach and they are still trying to figure out the direction they are going........

@flyerrod  Sweet deal for you, splitting the package! Yah, the Sharks have got something going on right!! They are looking far better than LA even at this point, what a far cry they are from the years we used to kick them out in the first rounder (not that long ago!). Yah, I hope the Nucks figure their system out sooner than later...the Sharks may be giving them an inferiority complex! We have to face them 2 more times next month.... :o

Edited by goalnut3133
  • Like 1

Ouch. Sharks really seem to have the Nucks' number lately.

Santorelli has some pretty sweet stats this year so far. See? You guys didn't need Raymond! :D 

As for that early goalie pull, I think there was another coach (Eakins maybe?) talking about how it was under-utilized and should happen sooner? It certainly gives Torts more time with an extra man, but of course increased risk. It does make some sense I guess - particularily if you are down 2 goals.

• Like 1

@bunnyman  Haha...that's funny cuz this afternoon I was seriously, SERIOUSLY thinking about switching it up on my avatar today!!  I honestly can't see ANY of the elite goalies making that mistake Lu made last nite...to me he's the netminder, which means, you keep your eyes on the puck at ALL times, no matter WHO has the puck!!  Unbelievable. I'm giving it some serious thought. Maybe watch for my change-up coming your way.....!   ;)

@bunnyman  Haha...that's funny cuz this afternoon I was seriously, SERIOUSLY thinking about switching it up on my avatar today!!  I honestly can't see ANY of the elite goalies making that mistake Lu made last nite...to me he's the netminder, which means, you keep your eyes on the puck at ALL times, no matter WHO has the puck!!  Unbelievable. I'm giving it some serious thought. Maybe watch for my change-up coming your way.....!   ;)

heh, you should see the 5 hole wraparound goal Emery let in vs the wings :)

Then again, he is not elite.

heh, you should see the 5 hole wraparound goal Emery let in vs the wings :)

Then again, he is not elite.

lol...thx Joe, no I did not see that one...but nothing, really nothing, beats scoring on your own net....in YOUR power play!  Worst own goal of our franchise.... :blink:  

@Commander Clueless  Apparently, we don't even need the Sharks to devour us to lose...we scored on our own net tonite on our OWN power play vs Montreal!! :blink:  UGH!! May have to switch teams...in shame... :(   

Sorry buddy, I had to look that one up. That was pretty funny but I can definitely understand your pain on that one.

Luongo was taking a bit of a snooze on his way back to the net there.

For some reason talking about own goals reminds me of the time Bryan McCabe scored on his own net. With a slapshot....

Poor Lu. Torts SMASH, I'm sure.

• Like 1

@J0e Th0rnton  Wow, Auld's blunder but yet he WASN'T a Canucklehead at the time?? Amazingly!  (Nice for Jeremy but uh, please, no more Shark-celebrating videos for now, huh? Bit of a sore spot...lol)

Yah that Fleury one was pretty bizarre....

But one of my fave goalie blunders is this: (sorry, couldn't find a clearer vid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXm0HVq_7-I

I love both the SHARKS & CANUCKS after my BOLTS of course.

Sharks being my West con team & Canucks my Canadian team.

I have to say this though, I do feel bad for Canucks fans... Vancouver should have kept Schneider and possibly should have let go Luongo.

Sharks on the other hand, the way there playing thus far this year, it MAY be that this will be the YEAR of the SHARKS to actually go further than the playoffs.

That is, if they can keep playing the rest of the season like they are now...

I love both the SHARKS & CANUCKS after my BOLTS of course.

Sharks being my West con team & Canucks my Canadian team.

I have to say this though, I do feel bad for Canucks fans... Vancouver should have kept Schneider and possibly should have let go Luongo.

Sharks on the other hand, the way there playing thus far this year, it MAY be that this will be the YEAR of the SHARKS to actually go further than the playoffs.

That is, if they can keep playing the rest of the season like they are now...

You should become a secondary Leafs fan! I mean, we practically have the same jerseys as Tampa!

Sharks are looking fairly unstoppable right now. I'm sure they'll come back down to earth a bit eventually, but they are looking good this year no doubt.