JVR:Article by Jonas Siegel in TSN

The Quigster

Sharp is a really good hockey player.  Always was.

opinion, there.  i  thought he was horrible as a flyer, was very glad to see him gone.  lazy, ineffective, unmotivated, entitled waste of a roster spot.  incapable of contributing offensively, refused to backcheck at all, constently behind the play, always taking briere-style i-can't-be-bothered-to-skate-so-i'll-hook-my-guy penalties.  66 games as a flyer, 15 points, and 67 PIMs.  his trade to chicago was a wakeup call that he responded to, but he was never going to be anything in philly.  he wasn't a lock to keep an NHL job in philly.

"opinion, there."

Right back atcha. 

I saw a few of the things that you did.  But, he reflected the role given him by Hitchcock.  I watched him from his days at UVM.  He didn't learn to be a hockey player on the plane ride from Philadelphia to Chicago.   He's a helluva player now, and he's always been one.   Flyers were just too damn dumb to realize it.

• Like 1

opinion, there.  i  thought he was horrible as a flyer, was very glad to see him gone.  lazy, ineffective, unmotivated, entitled waste of a roster spot.  incapable of contributing offensively, refused to backcheck at all, constently behind the play, always taking briere-style i-can't-be-bothered-to-skate-so-i'll-hook-my-guy penalties.  66 games as a flyer, 15 points, and 67 PIMs.  his trade to chicago was a wakeup call that he responded to, but he was never going to be anything in philly.  he wasn't a lock to keep an NHL job in philly.

Flyers pegged him as a third line forward and never saw him as anything but, much less gave him a chance.

They were horribly, horribly wrong about their talent evaluation.

Some things haven't changed. Scott Hartnell's 6Y, NMC, $4.75M per contract says "hello."

I agree Sharp played well in Philly JVR did not.

15 goals as a rookie

21 goals in his second season, seven more in 11 playoff games

11 goals in 43 games in his third

traded to Tronno

18 goals in 48 games. PPG player in the playoffs. 

hardly an example of a player "not playing well"

one dimensional 60 40 point guy

Please don't give him credit for something he has yet done....so i fixed it for ya...not buying his "projections".

Right now his goal is just to get to fifty... ;)

Edited by OccamsRazor

Flyers pegged him as a third line forward and never saw him as anything but, much less gave him a chance.

they had him skating with umberger and carter/richards on the second line.  and all his did was coast around, avoid the boards in specific and any contact in general, and surf off the back of his man when the play turned the other way.

besides, i'm not sure how much slack you should give a player who responds to a lack of confidence by his coaching staff  with halfhearted ragging-it play.  i mean, that last season in philly, sharp managed 8 points in 22 games as a flyer...while niko dimotrakos put up 9 points in 19 games.  do you think dimotrakos saw a ton of icetime with forsberg and gagne??  one guy was naturally talented but felt like he should get props for showing up while the other guy had no talent to speak of but worked his tail off with every chance he got.  no talent but some kind of effort wins.

sorry, we obviosly have  different opinions.  from what i saw, he entered the league with a bad case of the vinny prospal disease where if thing didn't come easy, they didn't come at all and it must be someone else's fault.  i saw more effort out of biron's waterbottle than i did out of patrick sharp in his flyers days.  the final rejection by the flyers -sending him to chicago for table scraps- shook something loose in him, told him he might actually have to work to find a spot and stick.  and even then, it was another season and a half before he broke 36 points.  with 110 lazy-ass PIMs in the meantime.  the guy was worthless.  good on him for waking up, but really.  the disaster that was his time in philadelphia was of no one's making but his own.