Should the call have been Hybrid Icing for this GWG?

hf101

5 members have voted

1. 1. Is the hybrid icing call to blame for this goal?

• Yes, the whistle should have blown
    • Not icing, Bernier misplayed the puck.

Actually, I think it's a bit of both. When I watch the re-play on the highlights, the referee up the ice is definitely holding his arm up to designate hybrid icing...& the Cane & Leaf are pretty well tied, which I understand the rules say that the defender then is awarded the icing call (I'm too lazy to look up the rules right now). Therefore, Bernier, thinking it should be icing does not bother to corral the puck properly. However, no whistle was blown either (not sure why if it was a tie), so Bernier should have been sharper with the puck, he seemed to just give up on it, half-wafting his stick at it as it slipped by him. 

This sort of thing just goes to show how confusing hybrid icing can be to the players , with split-second decisions to be made...

However, as I also said with the Luongo goal gaffe vs Montreal, netminders MUST mind their nets no matter what!  :huh: 

Actually, I think it's a bit of both. When I watch the re-play on the highlights, the referee up the ice is definitely holding his arm up to designate hybrid icing...& the Cane & Leaf are pretty well tied, which I understand the rules say that the defender then is awarded the icing call (I'm too lazy to look up the rules right now). Therefore, Bernier, thinking it should be icing does not bother to corral the puck properly. However, no whistle was blown either (not sure why if it was a tie), so Bernier should have been sharper with the puck, he seemed to just give up on it, half-wafting his stick at it as it slipped by him. 

This sort of thing just goes to show how confusing hybrid icing can be to the players , with split-second decisions to be made...

However, as I also said with the Luongo goal gaffe vs Montreal, netminders MUST mind their nets no matter what!  :huh: 

Yeah, the up ice official had his arm up, which is common because that's signaling one thing.  But the official who makes the call clearly waved it off and well in advance of Bernier's Ryan Howard act.  At that point, whether it should or shouldn't have been an icing is an academic exercise since by then he should have clearly known it was NOT an icing.  

As to the academic exercise, it was arguably a tie but I really thought the Cane had a step.  If I'm the official that's not blown dead.     If I'm the commissioner, we don't have the stupid hybrid icing at all.  How many times do the linesmen blow an offsides call and there's actually a damn line on the ice.   Now we're asking them to make a similar call from an off-angle with no line.   I wouldn't be shocked if by next year or the next they add some new line to the ice (which I would hate, btw.  With the trapezoid the ice already looks like a special ed etch-a-sketch).

I don't know why that should be hybrid icing.  The Cane was first to the playoff dot, or it was a tie.  I don't think that should have been blown.    That's just flat out a misplayed puck by Bernier.

@ruxpin,

This may be the 1st time I completely agree with you. I'll try to not make this a habit.

See, this is why I'm against hybrid icing. The last thing this league needs is to add more calls to the jugement of officials, who are already too brutal since the implementation of the two referees system.

Call the automatic icing as soon as the puck crosses the line, no ifs and buts about it.

• Like 1