Kronwall Kronwalled and other thoughts on 4-2 Victory

yave1964

Wings stopped the Patrick Roy machine tonight 4-2. A few random thoughts

Kronwall destroyed by McLeod in the first few minutes. It took only seconds for me to start hating the Avalanche again, I almost went to my fantasy hockey teams and cut all Avalanche players. Almost.

First time watching a full game of Nathan Mackinnon. My God I knew he was fast but not that fast. Easily the fastest player I have watched in a Wings game this year.

Kindl stepped up and played a hell of a game with Kronner out. Dekeyser made a few rookie mistakes but was solid.

The Avalanche rush five bodies on the net as a unit as well as any team in the game. Nothing fancy, none of this too many passes stuff, just bodies on net. Loved it.

Datsyuk two goals, Alfie looking like the missing piece. He seems to have finally settled down. His passing is crisp and almost always perfectly placed on the tape.

Someone needs to tell Franzen that they are playing the Avalanche no matter who they are playing. He had zero goals coming in, two tonight, he OWNS the Avalanche, always has.

40 shots on the monster, plus twenty plus blocked shots. Dekeyser had at least five blocks himself. If Gus keeps this up we will all end up saying Jimmy who?

Really loved the interview at the first intermission between Osgood with Roy. two old vets with a lot of respect for each other. Very well conducted, tape delay sitting in a couple of chairs discussing their old rivalry and Roy making the adjustment to coaching.

Take that Paddy, your first loss as a coach. It wont be your last, but we were your first. Go Wings!!

Oh and Alfredsson, third period, the Wings up 3-2 but the Avalanche pressing hard to tie the score, the Wings move the puck out and into the Avalanche end. Alfie sets up about ten feet from Varlamov, off to the side, makes a perfect fake pass in front of the net, Hejda dives and goes sliding against the back boards. Alfie then fakes a pass AGAIN and another Avalanche d-man dove to block the fake pass, also crashing into the boards. With both d-men down Alfie then passed to the all alone and streaking in Datsyuk who ate his countryman Varlamov for dinner, 4-2 lights out, warm up the jet we got a game in two nights in Phoenix. It was as pretty of a play as I have seen in a long time by Alfie and then by Pavel. Avalanche defenders sliding all over the ice and nobody touched either Alfie or Pavel. A piece of art.

Edited by yave1964

Da-mn! You make me wish I'd seen this game. Too many on tonite, I think I was watching about 4 at once. Would have loved to have seen the Avalanche buried (get it? lol). Yes, I've seen that Nate at work, he is quite something. Another goalie I love to watch is your Gus...talk about stepping up to the plate! I'd like to see more of him (& I guess you do too!).  Oh, and really wish I'd seen that interview with Osgood & Roy (my # 33 right?) reminiscing !  Maybe I can find it somewhere... ^_^

In the taped interview between Roy and Osgood, Ozzie asked Roy what he was thinking when the two goalies squared off at center ice in 1998, a follow up to Roy's battle with Mike Vernon the year before.

They bleeped it, but Roy responded, "I was thinking I was going to kick your (bleeping) ass." Osgood actually flinched in the chair across from him.

Never a Roy fan, loved hating him. After that interview I think he grew on me a little.

I was not able to watch this game, but I did see the clip of Kronwall getting destroyed.  Ugly hit.  First impressions say he has a concussion but it responsive.  I'd hate for him to be out for too long.  Drew Miller mixing it up too!  I guess 1998 isn't THAT long ago, is it....  I wonder if Paddy showed all the old videos to his team before they went out on the ice, and asked them to resurrect the rivalry...for old times' sake! 

Still, looking at the box score, it seems Detroit is taking too many penalties and allowing WAY too many shots.  Thrilled with the victory.  I'm also impressed that The Dump Truck has finally found the back of the net.  I will continue to call him The Dump Truck until a successful scoring trend has developed, though.  

Never a Roy fan, loved hating him. After that interview I think he grew on me a little.

Haha, yah I guess I know the reason for the hate too.  

I found the video of that Osgood /Roy interview for those that missed it. I enjoyed it.  It may just be me, but Roy seems totally relaxed here as he's speaking but Chris doesn't come across to me as being as comfortable...?  Albeit, I haven't seen him do interviews before, just his usual panel commentaries. I've always felt bad for Chris during that epic fight, like he didn't deserve it & Roy was just being his usual idiot hothead self..lol. But I just admire his goaltending. Admittedly, I happened to watch him more with Montreal than with Avs. It's so weird to remember him as that skinny, scrawny kid in net with the Habs but man, unbelievable skills...

http://sunbelthockey.com/video-chris-osgood-interviews-former-rival-patrick-roy/

Regarding Kronner's concussion (& all the other recent episodes that have been happening lately), I cringe when the word is mentioned, even though the player comes out of it quickly & is 'responsive', etc...with the medical findings in the past while, I really don't believe one is ever the same again afterwards, there are just parts of the brain that once injured, may never heal properly again, if at all. And this may not show up for even years. I don't know how slams on boards like this can be changed without taking it out of the game altogether, which I can't see happening, unfortunately.  :(

• Like 1

OK, this may seem nitpicky, but it's still a valid point, I think.

I object to the use of the term "Kronwalled" for that hit. The classic Kronwall hit is FROM THE FRONT of the intended target player, not from his back side. It also doesn't involve crushing someone into the boards. I didn't see the game, but when I saw this thread and then checked the vid, I was expecting to see a crushing hit on Kronner from the front, involving but not necessarily targeting the head. This hit has nothing to do with any of that. The only thing in common with his usual hits is that the target got destroyed.

McLeod is looking at Kronner's numbers, and takes his head to the boards. I don't think doing so (the head part) was intentional, but he clearly had Kronner in a vulnerable position with his back to him against the boards, and he didn't in any way try to minimize the hit. This is classic boarding. It's a quasi-cheap shot. I say quasi- because I do not believe McLeod intended to do what he did. He was just being careless. Intent was not there, I don't believe.

There is a difference between being destroyed or boarded and being Kronwalled. Those that don't like Kronwall may believe he got his just deserts here, as the TV analyst starts to say in the vid before it was pointed out that this was a bad hit. But this was a hit that needs to be avoided in our game. I have little trouble with someone saying that they hope someone gives Kronner a good check. I DO have a problem with justice supposedly being done like this. This was not justice. If Kronner was known for THESE types of hits, then yes it would be "justice," albeit illegal justice.

Edited by SpikeDDS

OK, this may seem nitpicky, but it's still a valid point, I think.

I object to the use of the term "Kronwalled" for that hit. The classic Kronwall hit is FROM THE FRONT of the intended target player, not from his back side. It also doesn't involve crushing someone into the boards. I didn't see the game, but when I saw this thread and then checked the vid, I was expecting to see a crushing hit on Kronner from the front, involving but not necessarily targeting the head. This hit has nothing to do with any of that. The only thing in common with his usual hits is that the target got destroyed.

McLeod is looking at Kronner's numbers, and takes his head to the boards. I don't think doing so (the head part) was intentional, but he clearly had Kronner in a vulnerable position with his back to him against the boards, and he didn't in any way try to minimize the hit. This is classic boarding. It's a quasi-cheap shot. I say quasi- because I do not believe McLeod intended to do what he did. He was just being careless. Intent was not there, I don't believe.

There is a difference between being destroyed or boarded and being Kronwalled. Those that don't like Kronwall may believe he got his just deserts here, as the TV analyst starts to say in the vid before it was pointed out that this was a bad hit. But this was a hit that needs to be avoided in our game. I have little trouble with someone saying that they hope someone gives Kronner a good check. I DO have a problem with justice supposedly being done like this. This was not justice. If Kronner was known for THESE types of hits, then yes it would be "justice," albeit illegal justice.

You're 100% correct. Nobody lined him up and left his skates to throw his backside into the guy's stomach. It wasn't a cheap shot at all, just bad timing.

@Polaris922

You really want to do this again, when you know he's only left his skates once before contact, on the Kesler hit?

Not gonna bite.

Get over it.

Your memory is selective it seems but okay. I give him 50/50 leaving skates still. Nothing to get over... Just stating the facts once again.

I still don't want him concussed. I don't wish him harm.

Your memory is selective it seems but okay. I give him 50/50 leaving skates still. Nothing to get over... Just stating the facts once again.

I still don't want him concussed. I don't wish him harm.

Polaris I love ya to pieces, I just think your wrong on this one. Three times a year or so Kronwall lives on the edge with a nasty hip check. Lost art, best in the game at it, does not make him dirty, kind of a throwback at it. Agree to disagree.

The one thing I like and you and everyone else has to admit is I believe it is classy of Kronwall to take the blame on the hit, McLeod came to the locker room and the two of them talked after the game. Both said it was just one of those things. Whether Shanny feels the same as Nick who knows?

Polaris I love ya to pieces, I just think your wrong on this one. Three times a year or so Kronwall lives on the edge with a nasty hip check. Lost art, best in the game at it, does not make him dirty, kind of a throwback at it. Agree to disagree.

The one thing I like and you and everyone else has to admit is I believe it is classy of Kronwall to take the blame on the hit, McLeod came to the locker room and the two of them talked after the game. Both said it was just one of those things. Whether Shanny feels the same as Nick who knows?

I do agree his response to the hit has been great. The guy isn't a complainer, and he gets high marks for approaching the whole situation like a man.

• Like 2