Embarrassed to be a Flyer fan

ruxpin

@flyerrod

Exactly! Carlysle took a chance thinking it would deescalate and look what happened there!

@fanaticV3.0

That's good to hear that the general fan base isn't supporting it. Sadly, media outlets elsewhere are reporting more of the opposite.

@mojo1917

Agree to disagree is fine, but maybe Oates remembered the Kessel/Scott incident as clearly as the rest of us.

The national media is reporting the Philly fanbase is happy with Emery?! It's been several days since it happened now and the radio shows (and message boards obviously) are still lighting up with criticism of it. If they're claiming we liked it, I can't see where they're getting that from. The only people I have seen support it were the 2 or 3 who did on this site.

@fanaticV3.0

It's all our reputation.  They don't need facts to print it, just that we loved the BSB and still love this type of hockey.  After all, we threw snowballs at Santa, etc.

And, it's all crap.  This is why we'll never lose this bad rap!

• Like 1

I'd say there's a chance most of the fanbase who was old enough to have cheered for both. I don't see many complaints about the Bullies era. They were worshipped and still are by many. But Emery is this huge deal? I gotta call shenanigans on that a little bit. I think if one of the team's bigger names did it, this isn't even an issue, and people might even be defending him more.

OK, but the "anger" you appeared to be referencing was the "anger" on this board. I have no doubt that there is a large percentage of the fanbase that is old enough to have cheered for both, but they're not here. And by all accounts the fans at the Big Bank Building loved it as well.

Liking something that happened in the 1970s and disputing that it is directly applicable to events in 2013 are not contradictory at all.

OK, but the "anger" you appeared to be referencing was the "anger" on this board. I have no doubt that there is a large percentage of the fanbase that is old enough to have cheered for both, but they're not here. And by all accounts the fans at the Big Bank Building loved it as well.

Liking something that happened in the 1970s and disputing that it is directly applicable to events in 2013 are not contradictory at all.

I would include board members of the board, but I wasn't speaking exclusively to them.

I think it is. Compared so some of the stuff from the past, Emery's actions were nothing. I do hear the "I was a kid" POV and don't really disagree with it though.

I would include board members of the board, but I wasn't speaking exclusively to them.

I think it is. Compared so some of the stuff from the past, Emery's actions were nothing. I do hear the "I was a kid" POV and don't really disagree with it though.

I've already pointed out that there is no "Broad Street Bullies" precedent for a goalie skating the length of the ice and beating on an unwilling counterpart.

It just didn't happen.

And it doesn't typically happen in 2013, either.

@fanaticV3.0

It's all our reputation.  They don't need facts to print it, just that we loved the BSB and still love this type of hockey.  After all, we threw snowballs at Santa, etc.

And, it's all crap.  This is why we'll never lose this bad rap!

I think Philly fans reputation is well deserved to be perfectly honest.

Iverson just retired and people still love him, but the guy was a horrible teammate. Meanwhile, McNabb hasn't played football in years and is still talked about on the radio almost every single day. Guy was a dork, but a model citizen compared to the thug.

I do not feel bad for Philly. They do stupid **** and get judged because of it. The whole "we're victims" crap is nothing but a deflection from their behavior.

But if someone is saying something about them that is completely untrue, that's pretty weak too.

I've already pointed out that there is no "Broad Street Bullies" precedent for a goalie skating the length of the ice and beating on an unwilling counterpart.

It just didn't happen.

And it doesn't typically happen in 2013, either.

Yes, thank you, but I'm talking about fighting in hockey and not just goalie etiquette for fighting in hockey.

Yes, thank you, but I'm talking about fighting in hockey and not just goalie etiquette for fighting in hockey.

Well, the "outrage" at Emery is specifically because he is a goalie who went the length of the ice in what was not a line brawl and attacked an unwilling combatant.

"Fighting in general" is not the same thing at all.

• Like 1