Embarrassed to be a Flyer fan

ruxpin

I am still a baby with following "full-time" this team now for 9-10 years. I agree I could not get the game it was blacked out....Man this is horrible this isn't Philly sports man, especially hockey. Time to sell the farm and retire the damn farmer and his family. Snider and Holmgren its over time to go. Unless Snider can STFU and let a gm really run this team "Hextall" you need to go also.

Agree with everything you say rux. The best part is that Snider apparently walked out of the building in the second period.

This team is an embarrassment. A true one for all the ages... I am literally ashamed to be a Flyers fan.

Maybe we can bring back Billy Tibbetts to replace Downie....

They all need to go... Snider is going to be eating a lot of crow over this and I hope it sinks in bc something needs to change.

The new Flyers logo: we are an embarrassment

I have never uttered nor typed those words in 40 years of cheering for the Flyers.

But tonight I am embarrassed for the logo and I'm embarrassed to say I cheer for the team. It's not just the 7-0. It's the utter nonsense they pulled in the third. It's that it apparently followed a GM visit in the second intermission.

I'd say the third period idiocy was at the direction of our imbecile GM. It wasn't entertaining; it was embarrassing. This is what happens when you have talentless brainless goons for GM and head coach.

I realize he's only 9 games in, but it's 9 games too many: Berube needs to he fired.

Holmgren needs to go.

They're simply embarrassing themselves, the crest, and their fans at this point.

Oh, and Ed Snider can screw himself with hid winning culture. He's an old joke and needs to go.

Rux:

I had class tonight. So I was spared watching this. But when I went to Applebees afterward and read about this it made me angry. I just wrote King Knut on another thread this was ugly and the sign of a very sick franchise. Other than Mason, Read, and VLC I wonder who's worth keeping.

Best,

Howie

Yes, I am also one that is embarrassed. I woke up early today to hopefully see that Holmgren had been fired.  No luck....yet. But think about it, we had somebody playing in the Swiss league as our top line winger for most of the season?  Our team is made up of bad trades, retreads, buy-out recipients and waiver pick ups...add some no trade clauses and a sprinkle of new coaches and that is a recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

I stopped watching in the 2nd... I'm on limited bandwidth, and I sure as hell wasn't going to waste it on that pathetic display.

Glad I tuned out. So Emery assaulted Holtby? I mean, that's what it's called when the other person doesn't want to fight, right?

Downie carried out on a stretcher with a concussion?

Vinny out with a facial injury and lost teeth?????

WTF???

Utter embarrassment. The worst thing they can do is a bunch of panic trades. As painful as it is, ride it out. Why help the players who aren't helping themselves? Let them dig themselves out of this hole and learn something from it.

Then take your 1st or 2nd overall pick and use it wisely.

It's the utter nonsense they pulled in the third. It's that it apparently followed a GM visit in the second intermission.

Didn't know that.  That supports the theory it was a statement to Homer then.  Snider has a choice.  Back Homer or back the team.

Didn't know this either until I read it this morning

During the second period, the crowd in unison chanted "Fi-re Holm-gren" toward Holmgren.   Source

I have never uttered nor typed those words in 40 years of cheering for the Flyers.

But tonight I am embarrassed for the logo and I'm embarrassed to say I cheer for the team. It's not just the 7-0. It's the utter nonsense they pulled in the third. It's that it apparently followed a GM visit in the second intermission.

I'd say the third period idiocy was at the direction of our imbecile GM. It wasn't entertaining; it was embarrassing. This is what happens when you have talentless brainless goons for GM and head coach.

I realize he's only 9 games in, but it's 9 games too many: Berube needs to he fired.

Holmgren needs to go.

They're simply embarrassing themselves, the crest, and their fans at this point.

Oh, and Ed Snider can screw himself with hid winning culture. He's an old joke and needs to go.

What exactly do you mean by this? Do you mean the Emery incident specifically or the fact that they fought period?

Serious question for all those who are bothered by Emery's actions. What did you think of the Bullies or hockey in general back then? I don't like Emery. I never have. I don't like what he did recently either. But I have to admit, I'm a little confused by some people's outrage. This organization made its name because of stuff much worse than this. Pre-game brawls, bench-clearing brawls, players running out from the locker room (I always forget whether it was Homer or Hospodar) to join in on a fight on the ice, there have been much worse incidents in the organIzations history. Don't even get me started on Clarke either. He was one of the dirtiest players in the game.

Serious question for all those who are bothered by Emery's actions. What did you think of the Bullies or hockey in general back then? I don't like Emery. I never have. I don't like what he did recently either. But I have to admit, I'm a little confused by some people's outrage. This organization made its name because of stuff much worse than this. Pre-game brawls, bench-clearing brawls, players running out from the locker room (I always forget whether it was Homer or Hospodar) to join in on a fight on the ice, there have been much worse incidents in the organIzations history. Don't even get me started on Clarke either. He was one of the dirtiest players in the game.

I'm going to answer your other question to me here as well rather than two posts.

First, "It's the utter nonsense they pulled in the third."  Fair question.   I didn't have a real problem with Simmonds.  I would have been better with it had it been earlier the game when a fight might have served a purpose to ignite the team.  By 7-0, it just had a feel of, "**** it, we're losing and I can't do anything about that, so let's fight."   At the point in which the whole line brawl happened, even without the Emery thing, I was so utterly disgusted with the team.  They didn't show up at all and suddenly want to fight because they're so utterly inept and worthless at hockey that that's all they got.   It reminded me of the dumb thug who can't handle any decent argument because he lacks the 3rd brain cell, so out of frustration of being made to look like an idiot he just starts swinging--in the middle of a stage during an actual DEBATE--where the point is to actually make decent arguments.

So, I mean the nonsense in its totality.   But I could have been fine with the Simmonds thing.  I could even have been fine with Schenn and VL fighting.   The Emery thing just made the whole thing a circus act, for me.

To your point above, primarily the bold part.   It was Hospodar and Chico on the ice for that pre-game thing against Montreal.   I actually didn't like that, either.   At least in that particular case, it was all between willing combatants.   I just thought the whole premise to it (the shooting down the ice into the net after the pre-game skate) was so utterly stupid.  It made hockey look like WWF, and I have no time for pro wrestling.   If I wanted to watch a bunch of brainless imbeciles, I'd either watch WWF or C-SPAN.   I'd rather watch hockey.

Don't get me wrong.  I like fighting in hockey.   I like when the game causes tensions between the two teams to boil and you have a fight as a result.   I'm all for a good line brawl, too.  I grew up watching the Bullies and loved the bench-clearing stuff.   The Flyers going into the stands in Toronto was a bit much in retrospect, but at the time I was probably only roughly 10 years old and "embarrassing" didn't occur to me.

This, to me, was just a bunch of stupid players realizing they were completely inept at what they were supposed to be doing having a temper tantrum on national television.

Lastly, the whole thing stinks to me because apparently Holmgren--the GM--went into the dressing room between the 2nd and 3rd period to "address" the team.  First of all, I don't really support the idea that a GM needs to go into a dressing room during intermission to address his team at all.   What the hell is the head coach there for?   I mean, the guy was what, 8 games in at the time?  You really need the GM to go and support (or undermine?) the coach in INTERMISSION only 8 games in?  If that's the case, why the hell did you hire him?   Take it yourself, Holmgren!

But in this case, the GM goes into the locker room between periods and not 5 minutes into the next period you have the team explode into hockey tourettes and a goalie skate down the length of the ice to assault the opposing goalie.   At the very least, the whole thing looks contrived rather than the culmination of tensions on the part of both teams.   At the worst, the dumbassery looks premeditated and ordered by the GM (supported by the fact that not one player, coach, nor GM has commented on the Holmgren "address").

Now, I don't know that it was ordered (although I'm kind of sticking with that accusation).  So we'll go with simply being contrived.   Again, if I wanted contrived or scripted, I'd watch WWF (or WWE or whatever the hell they call it now). 

For me, the whole thing was utter nonsense.

• Like 1

The Broad Street Bullies haven't existed - much less that "style" of hockey - in 30 years.

Part of this organization's problem is that they haven't paid attention to the past 30 years. The game has changed. Players have changed.

Even with that said, when did Bernie skate down the ice and jump the unwilling opposing goalie?

Hockey Fights has Bernie listed for three (3) career fights: http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/11326. The last one was in 1971.

A defenseman, a left wing and, yes, a goalie.

The goalie was in January, 1968. I missed it because it was five months before I was born.

If the reverse had happened - if a crazed Holtby came down and jumped an unwilling Mason, beating him repeatedly - the "Flyer fan" reaction would be much different than it is.

@ruxpin

can't say i agree w/ all of the particulars you've pointed out, but i certainly concur on the overall tenor of your post.

i'm mostly upset at the GM for creating this frankenstein team of mismatched parts and at the players for being so weak-kneed when the going gets tough.

• Like 1

I wasn't too keen on Emery's fight.

It was not necessary , if he wanted to mix it up there are better ways , as aziz described.

to me though Schenn VLC and Simmonds isn't the "goon" line.   Simmonds and Schenn will fight but that's not their game.  Who did Washington have out for the line brawl ? Volpatti, Wilson and Urnbaum or some ****.  Volpatti had already tuned up Downie right ?  who's putting the goon squad on the ice ? Olesky ? at the NHL he's a "gritty, agitator type"  .  Plenty of blame can be assigned here.  If you're the caps why not let Simmonds run around for 10 more feet and pick up a charging penalty? why grab him and guarantee the outcome ? 

people like to act as though there is no culpability for the caps in the line brawl and i'll posit that they started it by grabbing Simmonds after he hit a guy in the flow of the game, while competing for the puck. 

sure, Emery took things too far and should not have skated 200ft to engage Holtby,  but to act like the Flyers are a team of butchers and that was our set of goons on the ice to send a message, is some heinous atrocity against our glorious sport, and we're outraged  is bullshit.