Colts beat Knights in rematch

flyercanuck

After losing to London with 1/10 of a second left in game 7 of the OHL championship last year the remaining Barrie Colts must have had this date tattooed on their brains.. Gone are star players Mark Scheifele, Mattias Niederberger, Anthony Camara, Ryan O'Connor, Steven Byers while London really only lost Maata and Harrington.

After falling behind 3-0 early, captain Aaron Ekblad gave the Colts the spark they needed with 9 seconds left in the period on a rocket to the top corner. Barrie made it 3-2 on the blazing speed of Kevin Lebanc before Bo Horvat gave the Knights their 2 goal lead back on the pp.

Twin idiot brothers Ryan and Matt Rupert brought their usual headshots and hits from behind into the game that gave the Colts plenty of pp time and injuries. Both should be suspended but we all know about David "in the Knights pocket" Branch so I won't hold my breath. Matt Rupert has to get 15 at least. The Colts took advantage and scored twice in a 37 second span to tie the game.

OT solved nothing and Zach Hall scored the only goal in the shootout. There's nothing sweeter than a victory over the darlings of the OHL IN London in front of 9,000 fans.

After losing to London with 1/10 of a second left in game 7 of the OHL championship last year the remaining Barrie Colts must have had this date tattooed on their brains.. Gone are star players Mark Scheifele, Mattias Niederberger, Anthony Camara, Ryan O'Connor, Steven Byers while London really only lost Maata and Harrington.

After falling behind 3-0 early, captain Aaron Ekblad gave the Colts the spark they needed with 9 seconds left in the period on a rocket to the top corner. Barrie made it 3-2 on the blazing speed of Kevin Lebanc before Bo Horvat gave the Knights their 2 goal lead back on the pp.

Twin idiot brothers Ryan and Matt Rupert brought their usual headshots and hits from behind into the game that gave the Colts plenty of pp time and injuries. Both should be suspended but we all know about David "in the Knights pocket" Branch so I won't hold my breath. Matt Rupert has to get 15 at least. The Colts took advantage and scored twice in a 37 second span to tie the game.

OT solved nothing and Zach Hall scored the only goal in the shootout. There's nothing sweeter than a victory over the darlings of the OHL IN London in front of 9,000 fans.

No mention if Stolarz was in net or not so I assume he was, if he was and there was scouting report on him consider yourself REPORTED!!!!!

@flyercanuck  I know this is a tough question with a TON of variables.....BUT, if you had to guess....how many points would Exblad get in the NHL as he enters his prime years 24-27ish. Do you think he will be an offensive dynamo in the NHL?  Assuming everything goes right, he gets drafted by a respectable team with talent surrounding him, can he produce Eric Karlsson type numbers? Do you think Exblad has more offensive upside than Seth Jones? 

Another question, cause I don't get to see him play a lot, does he have snarl to his game? Will he fight to protect smaller teammates? Does he *like* to initiate physical contact? 

Just trying to pick your brain, trying to formulate a visual perspective of his potential moving forward.

If you had to pick a current player to compare him to, who would you pick. Same question, but applied to retired players....who does he skate like from years gone by?

I plan on DVR'in a few Barrie games in the next few weeks, so wanted some thoughts before I study his game.

@jammer2

First of all Ekblad is nowhere near Karlssons league offensively.

I've been trying to compare him with Pietrangelo cause he's the best we've had here in Barrie and size-wise they're comparable. I think Ekblad is way better defensively, but a little more conservative offensively. But we didn't get Pietrangelo til he was 19, and Ekblad is only 17. So to be fair I have to give him 2 more years of development, and we both know that is huge.

I haven't seen enough of Jones to make a good comparison but think it's fair to say he's got more offensive game and Aaron is better defensively.

Ekblad is definately a thinking mans defenceman. He plays so smart positionally and has that great reach. He's not a big hitter, but does use his body. Because of his age his game is still developing as a junior. I see him taking more of a role offensively now, and he's getting more involved physically. Coming into the league as a 15 year old had him playing shy for awhile. ..most CHL players are just starting at Aarons age as you know. Of course now he's the captain and he just always seems to make the right choice. He's not a 'wow" type of player, just steady and reliable. When you watch him skate he looks slow because of his size. It's just the style he has. But he isn't slow, he skates just fine. And again, he's just never out of position. Hell of a shot from the point, slapper or wrist. Great outlet passer or he can carry it.

I don't like to make point predictions. He'll put up respectable numbers with a rock solid defensive game.

@jammer2

I don't think he will be on the WJ team. He's only 17 and we both know that's basically a 19 year olds tournament. Last year only MacKinnon and Drouin made the team going into their draft year. And they went 1st and 3rd that spring. Ekblads still a year and a half away from his draft. But he could play his way on...he's 4th in scoring for Dmen in the O this year. And Barrie hasn't exactly been lighting it up...they're 15th in goals for, but 5th in GAA. But I expect him to be on the Under 18 team again.

@flyercanuck  Man, it is so rare to hear "returning to the under 18 team again" for a kid who is an OHL captain already...that just does not happen. I'm thinking Ex's skating ability and defensive prowess will be to much to pass up for the World Jr's, should be interesting to see how it plays out.